• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Cautionary Tale - Alli Express

This is what I ordered ...

This is what I received ...

Re: A Cautionary Tale - Alli Express

That sucks, I hate waiting many weeks only to get something silly.
    I try to avoid stores around 95% or less feedback on Ali, they seem to be idiots or scammers. I couldn't find the "G-Tank store", maybe it's the "G-String store" that sells these?

Out of the 800+ stores selling RP2040's you didn't go for the lowest price I hope. Many of them confuse the IC with the board etc, so I only order from stores specializing in selling electronics components, it seems to help.
    But these stores are a shell game, i.e Alice0365 etc. there are a dozen Alice stores and she usually sells junky stuff at high price.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
      That sucks, I hate waiting many weeks only to get something silly.
      I try to avoid stores around 95% or less feedback on Ali, they seem to be idiots or scammers. I couldn't find the "G-Tank store", maybe it's the "G-String store" that sells these?

Out of the 800+ stores selling RP2040's you didn't go for the lowest price I hope. Many of them confuse the IC with the board etc, so I only order from stores specializing in selling electronics components, it seems to help.
      But these stores are a shell game, i.e Alice0365 etc. there are a dozen Alice stores and she usually sells junky stuff at high price.
      See now I have to find a project where I can design a PCB for these ... lol

Comment

did you actually select the pi boards? i notice thats one of those anoying sellers with one page and many products

Comment

Only 2 reviews... seems dodgy.
          The store is silly, with headers it's double the price of just the 2040 board.

OP can you get a refund or not. You aren't getting a board for $0.99, that's the IC price.

Comment

I wonder if those chips are even real, sometimes I wonder if sellers assume you can't do anything with BGA chips and send you dummy chips and hope you just eat the loss from the order mistake... ouch.

Comment

most chip sellers dont even know what they have - they just get a reel of chips from the shenzen market and re-sell them.

there is video of that market - amazing place.
              10 floors of nothing but electronic components and sub assembly's

Comment

It's the market place - vendors pick up stuff from other vendors and resell. chinese stores will sell anything, they don't stick to any category. Pantyhose, LED's, IC's lol.

At least it appears legit, latest silicon revision is B2. But the laser marking is a bit crude.
                I miss the days when IC's had pins. Really, for $1 this part puts to shame other MCU's but few people will use it raw, I couldn't solder a QFN-56 without it bubbling all over the place, flux on that ground pad.
                Strange the RP2040 contains no FLASH memory, it side loads code from an external SPI FLASH.
                The A/D still performs poorly, not even 9 bits, with no internal reference.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  did you actually select the pi boards? i notice thats one of those anoying sellers with one page and many products
                  In that screenshot that I linked ... I just increased the QTY and purchased ... I didn't see an option to choose chips vs boards...

Comment

It's the market place - vendors pick up stuff from other vendors and resell. chinese stores will sell anything, they don't stick to any category. Pantyhose, LED's, IC's lol.

At least it appears legit, latest silicon revision is B2. But the laser marking is a bit crude.
                    I miss the days when IC's had pins. Really, for $1 this part puts to shame other MCU's but few people will use it raw, I couldn't solder a QFN-56 without it bubbling all over the place, flux on that ground pad.
                    Strange the RP2040 contains no FLASH memory, it side loads code from an external SPI FLASH.
                    The A/D still performs poorly, not even 9 bits, with no internal reference.
                    The crudeness in the print could be an anomaly of the macro lens that I clipped onto my cell phone when i*took the picture ... $15 macro lens and all ...

I thought the same about one board flash ... I mean did NOT including flash save money in the manufacturing? I would think that going external would be more expensive in the long run ... but what do I know about chip manufacturing ... nothing!

I'm fairly confident that I could solder these chips. I have a nice hot air station that has never let me down... just need to find a project that will let me justify designing a board around the processors ... but ... they aren't going anywhere and have no expiration date and will be more than useful years from now, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      I wonder if those chips are even real, sometimes I wonder if sellers assume you can't do anything with BGA chips and send you dummy chips and hope you just eat the loss from the order mistake... ouch.
                      I could sacrifice one ... figure out which pins do power and see if any of the pins would give me a signal I could read on the scope when powered on ...

OP can you get a refund or not. You aren't getting a board for $0.99, that's the IC price.
                      I just thought it was one of those "too good to be true" deals that I hear about all the time but never seem to be lucky enough to take advantage of... and the pictures and the description indicate NO WHERE that it's just the chip.

I COULD get a refund but on a $15 purchase ... is it worth my time? NOPE!

there is video of that market - amazing place.
                      10 floors of nothing but electronic components and sub assembly's
                      Did a youtube search but found nothing ... got a link?

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                        In that screenshot that I linked ... I just increased the QTY and purchased ... I didn't see an option to choose chips vs boards...
                        then your browser is shit
                        happened to a friend with an iphone!

look at all the little pictures under the price - miss-labelled as "color"
                        those are the items to choose between!

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                          I could sacrifice one ... figure out which pins do power and see if any of the pins would give me a signal I could read on the scope when powered on ...

I just thought it was one of those "too good to be true" deals that I hear about all the time but never seem to be lucky enough to take advantage of... and the pictures and the description indicate NO WHERE that it's just the chip.

I COULD get a refund but on a $15 purchase ... is it worth my time? NOPE!

Did a youtube search but found nothing ... got a link?

https://huntersourcing.com/shenzhen-electronics-market/
                          https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ics-market.htm

Comment

AliExpress is the worst about having the color option for some item and it sometimes not clear exactly what you are getting with a given option really

One note to be aware of is that I order something that had an option to get four of the same exact item but they are shipping it in two separate boxes for some reason but they do not tell you that this is the case until you have two different tracking numbers

And the tracking number information is very slow to update as well
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-27-2022, 02:49 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

then your browser is shit
                              happened to a friend with an iPhone!
                              look at all the little pictures under the price - miss-labelled as "color"
                              those are the items to choose between!
                              I've been a network engineer for over 20 years. I used the Internet back when Mozilla was text based as was the "WEB" ... I write software ... from scratch ... I use Chrome on MacOS ... if these "options" were masked in color selections that were made available to me, I would have seen them ... but as you can see ... there are no options for color choices and the "More options" link in this screenshot only provides a selection of shipping methods. as you can see in the second screen shot.

And though Google Chrome is arguably a shitty browser, that shit is only applicable as far as the browser is invasive to my personal data and preferences etc. In terms of technical ability to be a fully capable browser that can accurately show what a web server is kicking back to the browser ... Chrome tends to be the defacto standard in that context...

Comment

post the link

Comment

Go to your order page and check the order, that will show what you actually ordered.

Comment

That screen cap shows the "color" is not selected, it's not highlighted. Once you click there, then the pic changes to show what you've ordered and highlighted window around the "color", as in this pic.
                                    Default load of the webpage leaves (cursor) you on the bottom left which is just the picture gallery.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I've never seen anything like this before. It is simply amazing! A few things that stood out to me:

1) We got NOTHING on china in terms of western retail culture
                                      2) I only saw one person smoking
                                      3) The shop owners clearly have ZERO worries about their products being shoplifted. I assume the penalties for shoplifting in China must be extreme.

Comment

post the link

Here is the link

Comment

Working...
                                        X