Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus x99 Deluxe CPU OVER VOLTAGE ERROR

Hello colleagues, how are you?
    In this case I ask for help, to solve a problem I have with an asus x99 deluxe motherboard (attached Boardview) which throws error CPU OVER VOLTAGE ERROR.

From what I've been researching the super io handles the senate, I don't know if I'm right. But he would not know how to identify the resistance in charge of the task. Has anyone had a similar case?

Thank you very much
    Attached Files

Re: Asus x99 Deluxe CPU OVER VOLTAGE ERROR

any help?

Comment

Measure the real VCORE voltage generated by the CPU VRM (PU1000) - a CPU and Ram's should be inside their sockets. It should be around 1V (check the CPU specs). Measure the voltage on any VCORE phase, after the coil (on CPU side).

Look for missing (ripped off) or decalibrated resistors around the PWM controller (PU1000), especially the networks which are named VINSEN (Voltage Input Sense). The chip monitors different voltages and might report overvoltage if resitor dividers are broken. The VRM is able to talk to the CPU.

Check voltage monitoring inputs of the Super I/O (SIO, Nuvoton NCT6791D), especially pin 103 "O_VCORE_OVER". Look into the datasheet of the SiO for these pins, they start somewhere around pin 100. The SIO has several voltage measuring inputs, the voltage there is limited between 0 and 2V. If the monitored voltage is higher than 2V (eg. 12V) then there is always a voltage divider between the monitored voltage and the SIO Input. The real voltage is then calculated by software to be presented correctly by the BIOS. The VCORE voltage might not have a voltage divider attached before the input, as it should not exceed 2V. Check the SIO inputs for any short to GND or SIO VCC, check the inputs also with a meter in diode mode, they should show all similar voltages, you need to attach +pole of the meter to GND, and -pole to the input.

Hypothetically it can also be a slightly defective SIO or PWM Controller, eg the measuring input is defect due to a surge or so.

If you find anomalities then look for the reason. If you don't find any, it might also be a BIOS issue (eg a bad configuration due to some internal BIOS software fault or hang) or partially defect SIO or PWM controller.

Check also the CPU socket for any bend pins. Even a slight dislocation of the pin top from the grid can lead to non contact. Use a lens with 10x magification factor to check the socket, look both from the top, and from the side (low angle) from different directions.
      Last edited by DynaxSC; 10-17-2022, 04:08 AM.

Comment

It might help
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
          Measure the real VCORE voltage generated by the CPU VRM (PU1000) - a CPU and Ram's should be inside their sockets. It should be around 1V (check the CPU specs). Measure the voltage on any VCORE phase, after the coil (on CPU side).

Look for missing (ripped off) or decalibrated resistors around the PWM controller (PU1000), especially the networks which are named VINSEN (Voltage Input Sense). The chip monitors different voltages and might report overvoltage if resitor dividers are broken. The VRM is able to talk to the CPU.

Check voltage monitoring inputs of the Super I/O (SIO, Nuvoton NCT6791D), especially pin 103 "O_VCORE_OVER". Look into the datasheet of the SiO for these pins, they start somewhere around pin 100. The SIO has several voltage measuring inputs, the voltage there is limited between 0 and 2V. If the monitored voltage is higher than 2V (eg. 12V) then there is always a voltage divider between the monitored voltage and the SIO Input. The real voltage is then calculated by software to be presented correctly by the BIOS. The VCORE voltage might not have a voltage divider attached before the input, as it should not exceed 2V. Check the SIO inputs for any short to GND or SIO VCC, check the inputs also with a meter in diode mode, they should show all similar voltages, you need to attach +pole of the meter to GND, and -pole to the input.

Hypothetically it can also be a slightly defective SIO or PWM Controller, eg the measuring input is defect due to a surge or so.

If you find anomalities then look for the reason. If you don't find any, it might also be a BIOS issue (eg a bad configuration due to some internal BIOS software fault or hang) or partially defect SIO or PWM controller.

Check also the CPU socket for any bend pins. Even a slight dislocation of the pin top from the grid can lead to non contact. Use a lens with 10x magification factor to check the socket, look both from the top, and from the side (low angle) from different directions.
          Thank you very much, I will put your explanation into practice

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Su View Post
            It might help
            Thanks!!

Comment

Check also this network connected to the CPU - CPU pin: VCCIN_SENSE (Network: +VCCIN_VCC_SENSE_10), and VSS_VCCIN_SENSE (+VCCIN_VSS_SENSE_10)
              Last edited by DynaxSC; 10-17-2022, 08:36 AM.

Comment

In Vcore, I have almost 2v . will it be the source pu1000?

PIN 103 : 2V

another detail, the 0_code always marks 00
                Last edited by Titoo73; 10-17-2022, 05:47 PM.

Comment

in O_SEN_CPU_OPT_R I have approximately 3.5v. IT'S OK? SIO pin 2

Comment

Hi, SIO pin 103 seems to be correct as the voltage there is fixed, and devived via a resistor divider from +5VSB, the network name is misleading there (did not expect such errors in the boardview).

However it might be interesting to check the SIO pin 109, this SIO V monitoring input is supplied from VCORE (network +VCCIN) via a device called OJP502 (under the CPU socket) and a voltage divider (OR7622/OR7623). The NCT datasheet calls pin 109 CPUVCORE, where in the boardview the network is called incorrectly +VCCIN_SIO_IN (seems some ASUS engineer did not take a lot care of a meaningful naming of the networks). The question here is what is the device OJP502 (boardview does not tell it), and if it is populated on the board (I guess this is some kind of a junction/jumper just with 0 ohms resistance, maybe connected or disconnected during board production process). Check if there is a connection between VCORE at CPU side and resistor OR7622 (the pin near the board edge) and what is the resistance (equals resistance of OJP502).

Regarding O_SEN_CPU_OPT_R I have no clue what for it is and what is the correct voltage.
                    Last edited by DynaxSC; 10-18-2022, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Have another idea: can you check what is the setting of this board jumper:

Attached Files

Comment

Hi, SIO pin 103 seems to be correct as the voltage there is fixed, and devived via a resistor divider from +5VSB, the network name is misleading there (did not expect such errors in the boardview).

However it might be interesting to check the SIO pin 109, this SIO V monitoring input is supplied from VCORE (network +VCCIN) via a device called OJP502 (under the CPU socket) and a voltage divider (OR7622/OR7623). The NCT datasheet calls pin 109 CPUVCORE, where in the boardview the network is called incorrectly +VCCIN_SIO_IN (seems some ASUS engineer did not take a lot care of a meaningful naming of the networks). The question here is what is the device OJP502 (boardview does not tell it), and if it is populated on the board (I guess this is some kind of a junction/jumper just with 0 ohms resistance, maybe connected or disconnected during board production process). Check if there is a connection between VCORE at CPU side and resistor OR7622 (the pin near the board edge) and what is the resistance (equals resistance of OJP502).

Regarding O_SEN_CPU_OPT_R I have no clue what for it is and what is the correct voltage.

Thank you very much for following the case! I will try what you tell me and I will comment again.

Comment

The pin 109 have 1v , and the jumper that you tell me below is in position 1-2

Comment

I have connection between OR7622 and +VCCIN

Comment

1V on 109 looks OK.
                              Change the jumper position to OC, and try to boot the board.
                              Try also too switch off VCORE monitoring in the BIOS and look what happens.

Comment

1V on 109 looks OK.
                                Change the jumper position to OC, and try to boot the board.
                                Try also too switch off VCORE monitoring in the BIOS and look what happens.
                                It's still the same, it's already leaving me without ideas. There's nothing weird on the board either.

Comment

Would you try changing the SIO?

Comment

Changing the SIO is not a big deal, if you have a hotair station, so it might be worth a try. But before that I would try to program the BIOS with a raw image from the ASUS site, starting with the oldest one, and then either upgrade via BIOS routine, or program each following version one after the another. But check before CPU support list for the BIOS, so that your CPU is supported by that version you will program, if not then take the first oldest version supporting your CPU. But before ereasing the chip you MUST make a BIOS backup to file. The BIOS image on the board contains some "personalization" data which is important for the board, eg. serial number, LAN MAC address, UUID, etc. If changing BIOS will help, then you would need to transfer the personalization data to a working raw image from the asus site with CoffeLake or UEFI Tool (but I'm not sure how and if it will work, as I never made it for an X99 board) - I think there is also an easy to use special BIOS editing tool for ASUS Bioses, but do not remember now the name. After the raw image personalization, you can then program the bios chip again. MAC Address is crucial to be transferred, as otherwise Windows will have an issue with proper network connectivity, the rest can be omitted w/o a problem. Do you have a programmer, eg. CH341 ? With CH-341 you can try to read/erease/program the BIOS in-circuit with a clamp, but sometimes this does not work, then the bios needs to be dissoldered, backupped/programmed, and resoldered again.

The reason to renew the BIOS if that sometimes it can happen, that the chipset/SIO will do something odd with the BIOS/Chipset configuration (during a Management Engine software crash, unexpected power off, or so).
                                    Last edited by DynaxSC; 10-20-2022, 05:32 AM.

Comment

The BIOS image on the board contains some "personalization" data which is important for the board, eg. serial number, LAN MAC address, UUID, etc. If changing BIOS will help, then you would need to transfer the personalization data to a working raw image from the asus site with CoffeLake or UEFI Tool (but I'm not sure how and if it will work, as I never made it for an X99 board) - I think there is also an easy to use special BIOS editing tool for ASUS Bioses, but do not remember now the name
                                      FD44 editor . https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=fd44 ,alternatively you can use a hex editor
                                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Changing the SIO is not a big deal, if you have a hotair station, so it might be worth a try. But before that I would try to program the BIOS with a raw image from the ASUS site, starting with the oldest one, and then either upgrade via BIOS routine, or program each following version one after the another. But check before CPU support list for the BIOS, so that your CPU is supported by that version you will program, if not then take the first oldest version supporting your CPU. But before ereasing the chip you MUST make a BIOS backup to file. The BIOS image on the board contains some "personalization" data which is important for the board, eg. serial number, LAN MAC address, UUID, etc. If changing BIOS will help, then you would need to transfer the personalization data to a working raw image from the asus site with CoffeLake or UEFI Tool (but I'm not sure how and if it will work, as I never made it for an X99 board) - I think there is also an easy to use special BIOS editing tool for ASUS Bioses, but do not remember now the name. After the raw image personalization, you can then program the bios chip again. MAC Address is crucial to be transferred, as otherwise Windows will have an issue with proper network connectivity, the rest can be omitted w/o a problem. Do you have a programmer, eg. CH341 ? With CH-341 you can try to read/erease/program the BIOS in-circuit with a clamp, but sometimes this does not work, then the bios needs to be dissoldered, backupped/programmed, and resoldered again.

The reason to renew the BIOS if that sometimes it can happen, that the chipset/SIO will do something odd with the BIOS/Chipset configuration (during a Management Engine software crash, unexpected power off, or so).
                                        yes, I have the SVOD. The reality that I never modified a bios on my own. If I publish the backup could you help me? a detail that I did not say is when the bios starts and I put f1 to enter, the screen goes black.

Comment

Working...
                                        X