• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with stopping audio and video for no reason

PC Specs:
    • CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
    • GPU: GTX 1080 Palit JetStream
    • MOBO: ASRock ab350 PRO4
    • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 3000MHz (XMP 2.0)
    • PSU: XFX 650W (don't remember what model)
    • OS SSD: ADATA SP920

Problem description:
    Hi. I have a problem that has been going on for some time (2-3 years). It's hard to explain what it really is. Sometimes, my computer stops playing music, stops videos (starts buffering on youtube), there is no sound in games and when I minimize the game window and return to the game there is a black screen with window borders (the game runs on full screen) - I can't exit the game by clicking the "x" button in the corner, I have to end the task. When I open the game after the incident it runs, but has no sound. Other than that computer doesn't crash, etc. For example, when I'm doing a project in Adobe Illustrator I can normally work, finish the project and save it without any issues, but spotify stops playing music. I can open new programs, but the issue still exists.

What causes the issue (and when it happens):
    It happens when it wants to. Sometimes when I turn on my computer it happens within 5 minutes (sometimes immediately, sometimes a few minutes later). Sometimes it happens a few hours after I turn on my computer. Sometimes I can run my computer for 12-15h and it will work just fine. I checked if it does that under stress. I opened 2 games, gimp, chrome x2 (around 30-40 tabs total), edge, spotify, origin, a few smaller programs, adobe illustrator and tried to open photoshop, but it didn't want to open due to lack of ram, but the porblem didn't happen. I could watch YT and listen to spotify without any issues. Apex Legends was running fine (the performance was only a little bit worse). However, I've noticed that sometimes it happens exactly when I'm opening a new program (game, browser, etc.). Sometimes it happens just like that, I can leave my PC for 2 minutes and after I come back there's the issue.
    Sometimes it happens when I turn on the computer, I reboot it, it happens again (and 3-4 times like that, one after another).
    Sometimes when I'm rebooting my PC after the provlem occured there is a message that Task Host Window is stopping background tasks.

What fixes the issue:
    Again, hard to tell what exactly. When I reboot my computer the problem is usually fixed. Sometimes I have to reboot it a few times (expecially if the problem happened within 5 minutes after I turned it on).
    When the problem happens some time after the system boot (a few hours after) sometimes it helps to end chrome, game (usually apex legends) and spotify task in the task manager. I didn't really test if other programs work after that or just the ones that the task was ended. However, sometimes anding the task won't help and I have to reboot the system.

What is ok:
    • CPU & GPU temperatures are fine
    • RAM is working fine (I did a memtest x86)

What I did to fix the problem:
    • System reinstall
    • Removing and installing the GPU and RAM (exchanging their place too)
    • Unplugging and pluging in the GPU cables
    • MemTest x86 (no RAM issues, at least it didn't show any)
    • DDU (hard uninstalling GPU drivers), multiple times
    • Installing multiple GPU drivers (they are not the issue)
    • Updating the chipset drivers (to AMD version 5.12.0.38, 08.03.2020)

I don't know if it's a software or hardware related issue.
    I think that the first thing to do would be to find what causes the issue (if it's even possible). Without it, it will be really hard to fix the problem, since I won't know if the thing I did fixed the problem.
    Thank you if you read everything. I hope that someone will know something, maybe had a similar issue. It really drives me crazy.

Re: Problem with stopping audio and video for no reason

What about sound driver?

Comment

It's not only about the sound, but also about video and some weird things in games. There is no way that a sound card would affect the other things. I had a few versions of the sound card drivers, the issue was on each of them (now I'm using a little bit older driver, because the cracks and pops are unbearable).

Comment

Maybe problems with the bios, amd always suffers in this regard.
        https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/ab350%...ex.ru.asp#BIOS

Comment

Which version should I update to? Currently, I'm on p5.40. I know that some of the newest versions may be not compatible with ryzen 5 1600.

Comment

Here you need to look for a stable BIOS (for your processor and compatibility with RAM), look for reviews on the forums or experiment yourself ...

Comment

And you need to know exactly what processor you have.
              Attached Files

Comment

Everything you said is related to stuck audio output. Most likely audio driver problem. Otherwise disable integrated audio and use an additional sound card (prefer PCIe but USB should work too).
                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                  Everything you said is related to stuck audio output. Most likely audio driver problem. Otherwise disable integrated audio and use an additional sound card (prefer PCIe but USB should work too).
                  But how would a sound card prevent videos from playing and cause game problems?
                  I will have to unplug my sound card and plug the headset into the MOBO's integrated sound card when the problem happens, but I honestly doubt it will solve the issue.

Comment

Games play audio, Youtube plays audio.

Comment

But videos stop entirely. Not only audio, but there's no visuals too. On YT there is a buffering icon in the middle.

Comment

Because the audio output is stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by zeldazada
                          Then your gpu have issues bro check another gpu if your friend or cousin have gpu to test audio and video other wise system try these every steps
                          Unfortunately, I don't have another GPU (other than my old gt430 that could cause this problem in the first place...) or someone else who could borrow one (especially for a few weeks, since there can be no problem for a few days). I hope it's not the case, but I think you can be right.

Comment

So the problem was there with the old graphics card ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                              So the problem was there with the old graphics card ?
                              I don't think there was a problem with the card. I had it in my old PC that died a few years ago when I was on vacation. When I came back it didn't want to turn on, I was trying to diagnose what happened and installed gt430 in my new PC (replaced gtx1080). It was working, so I installed gtx 1080 again.
                              I honestly don't remember if the problems started at that time, earlier or later, but maybe my current problems have something to do with it.
                              Last edited by Gibon378; 11-20-2022, 04:32 PM.

Comment

If it really is my GPU, can I test it somehow? Maybe a benchmark or some program that detects power spikes, etc. Is it possible that PCIe or PSU - GPU cables/connectors are broken? Is there anything that I can do to test them (without another MOBO / PSU / GPU)?

Comment

Unlikely to be the GFX card. Go with sound drivers/sound card before messing with the GPU.

Comment

So let's say I have the problem right now. If I unplug the sound card and plug my headset into the MOBO's sound card, should that remove the issue immediately? I mean do I have to restart my PC or will it work right away?
                                    After I restart my PC everything goes back to normal, so I'd have no way of knowing if unplugging the sound card has helped at all.
                                    The biggest problem is that I can't really know if the issue is fixed. I think it's safe to say that if it doesn't happen in a month - it's fixed. But if you multiply even a week by the number of changes to try out, you'll have possibly even months of diagnostics.

Comment

What sound card are you using ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                        What sound card are you using ?
                                        SC: Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro
                                        Driver: 1.2.62.3 (12.05.2015)
                                        As I wrote before, in this driver version there are much less sounds that make me question my sanity.

Comment

Working...
                                        X