Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - CPU LED on & occasional power cycle

Hello,

Am looking at a friend's desktop PC which after a BIOS update no longer boots and displays random behaviour.
    I have tried doing a BIOS update with the quickflash USB method which runs for around 70 seconds which seems short for a 8mb file - but this hasn't helped.

The motherboard is;

ASUS TUF Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 rev 1.01

When turned on it starts up and stays on the red CPU LED and nothing else.
    If I reset CMOS and start again then sometimes it powers cycles a few times with no LEDS (apart from green power LED) then on reset displays solid CPU LED.

I have removed the BIOS chip and reflashed it with a CH341a programmer.
    The first time I powered it on, the CPU LED switched on then went out, then the RAM LED switched on - then the mobo powered off.
    Then it powered on again, the CPU LED came on and stayed on and this is all it does.

The mobo responds to reset or holding the power switch but it either stops on the CPU LED, then powers off and sometimes just power cycles without the CPU LED switching on.
    The green power LED turns on & off correctly if PSU is on/off.

I have tried clearing CMOS and removing the backup battery but makes no difference. I have tried with 1 stick of RAM installed in socket A2 and without. The PSU is a Seasonic.
    No beeps on the speaker.

I have checked and reseated the CPU (i5-4460 SR1QK) and all pins look fine.

Anyone experienced this or have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark
Working...
X