Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 - 14 blinks problem

Hello

This is my second post, i will try to be as through as possible.

Problem: After an electrical outage my parents bravia lost all picture and they got the (in)famous 14 blink code. Code indicates T-CON error.

1) I disassembled the TV and inspected IP1 (power board) and T-CON boards visually. Seemed notheing was off.
    2) Controlled the fuse on IP1 power board and F1 micro fuse in T-CON, no problem.
    3) When I turn on the TV, the panel is pitch black, no backlight. Some relay clicks, T-CON is supplied with 12V from IP1 power board, approximately 10 seconds later there is another click (probably relays) and IP1 cuts power supply and 14 blink sequence starts

What I want to make sure: How do I be sure the problem is only T-CON and not any other parts? Is there a way to make sure LCD panel, backlight, BA board functions so that when I order T-CON it will not be in vain.

(I cleaned IP1 power board after taking pictures, sorry)
    Attached Files

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 - 14 blinks problem

Possible that your firmware got messed up, could try reapplying it, if you can find it, I had a look but the closest I saw on the sony site was KDL-40W5100. I would call them and ask if they have it or if there's a substitute. I wonder if my "pal" diff could help.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-02-2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

This appears to be an Inverter or Backlight problem and not a T-CON Bd issue. The Hi-Volt Transformers supplying power to the CCFLs could be faulty also.

Comment

I would look at all resistors and any fuses related to the high voltage transformer section going out to the inverters. Also listen for any faint buzzing sounds from the transformers on the power supply right before shutdown.

This power supplies on these Sony's have been known to have resistors go open with a high voltage line spike.

This would be a quick and dirty way to tell if the Transformers are supplying the inverters.

Also have a look at your backlight on pin from power supply to mainboard. See if voltage comes up then drops off.
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Can we see the pictures of the whole backside of the TV showing all the boards?
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1520000880
            You need to probe each pin of that connector CN6154 when TV is turned on, you will leave the probe on the pin and then turn on the TV while watching the meter then record the DC Voltage reading then turn TV off, then move on to the next pin. Basically we are looking to see what is going on on each pin when every time TV is turned on.
            Also verify that you do have about 380VDC between the two legs of the main filter cap when TV is turned on.
            This is your power supply-inverter board, correct?
            Sony A-1660-720-B (1-878-598-11, 1-878-598-21) IP1 Board.
            Pictures providedd by shojimmy
            Attached Files
            Last edited by budm; 03-02-2018, 11:07 AM.
            Never stop learning

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              Possible that your firmware got messed up, could try reapplying it, if you can find it, I had a look but the closest I saw on the sony site was KDL-40W5100. I would call them and ask if they have it or if there's a substitute. I wonder if my "pal" diff could help.
              There is no picture, is it possible to make a firmware update? I have newest firmware from sony.

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
              This appears to be an Inverter or Backlight problem and not a T-CON Bd issue. The Hi-Volt Transformers supplying power to the CCFLs could be faulty also.
              This is the one i'm afraid of, because problem happened after electrical grid problem. I hope it is not.

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
              I would look at all resistors and any fuses related to the high voltage transformer section going out to the inverters. Also listen for any faint buzzing sounds from the transformers on the power supply right before shutdown.

This power supplies on these Sony's have been known to have resistors go open with a high voltage line spike.

This would be a quick and dirty way to tell if the Transformers are supplying the inverters.

Also have a look at your backlight on pin from power supply to mainboard. See if voltage comes up then drops off.
              OK, will disassemble IP1 for checking

Originally posted by budm View Post
              Can we see the pictures of the whole backside of the TV showing all the boards?
              OK, i will try to upload pictures I took in this reply.

You need to probe each pin of that connector CN6154 when TV is turned on, you will leave the probe on the pin and then turn on the TV while watching the meter then record the DC Voltage reading then turn TV off, then move on to the next pin. Basically we are looking to see what is going on on each pin when every time TV is turned on.
              Also verify that you do have about 380VDC between the two legs of the main filter cap when TV is turned on.
              OK, will check connector now, also I assume main filter cap is the biggest one
              Attached Files

Comment

Download and Transfer the Update File to Your USB Storage Device

Download the sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09 file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference) on your computer.
                Format a compatible USB storage device the FAT32 file system and connect it to your computer.
                Note: A USB storage device, such as a Sony® Micro Vault® device, or something similar, is required to perform the update. Sony is aware that not all USB storage devices are compatible with our TVs. If you are using a USB device for playback of photos, music, or videos on your TV, the same USB device type should work for the update. If the software update is not successful after following the instructions, you may need to format your device to the FAT32 file system, or use a different device. View formatting instructions.
                Go to the directory where the file was downloaded, right-click on the sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09 file and, from the menu, click Send To..., and then click the drive (EX: Removable Disk (E) that represents your USB device. The update file will be copied onto your USB device.
                Remove the USB device from your computer.
                Please continue to the next section.

Updating the Software

Note: The software update takes approximately ten minutes to complete. During the update process, the screen on your BRAVIA television will display progress information, or may be blank. This is normal. Please do not remove the USB storage device until the update is complete.

WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF THE TV OR UNPLUG THE POWER CORD WHILE THE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS.

Turn the TV off.
                Insert the USB storage device into the USB port located on the side of the TV. Note: The USB storage device can only be inserted into the USB port slot one way.
                TV USB Port
                Turn your TV on by pressing the POWER button on the Remote Control. Once the USB storage device has been detected, a message appears indicating that the files are being updated.
                Files Updating Screen
                A message appears indicating that the TV will start the update process.
                Update Starting Screen
                DO NOT REMOVE THE USB DEVICE OR TURN OFF THE TV UNTIL THE UPDATE IS COMPLETE.
                IMPORTANT: The TV will power off and then back on as a normal part of the update.
                After several minutes, a message appears indicating The software update is complete.
                Update Complete Screen
                Remove the USB device from the TV, and then click OK by pressing the ENT button ENT Button on the remote control.
                Delete the update files from the USB device, or reformat the USB device.
                The update process is now complete.

Comment

Of course substitute your firmware for sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09 because that's for the 5100. Plus I would save your firmware, you never know when sony will just decide to omit it from their site.
                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-02-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

CN6154:
                    NC: 2V -> 0V
                    DIMMER 0V -> 0V
                    BACK LIGHT ON 3,2-3.5V -> 3.5-3.0V
                    (when i turn on tv and "->" when it turns off and displays 14 blinks)

Also there is NO reading (0V) on CN6700 HV1 and HV2 which connects to inverter. So should i assume problem probably lies in high voltage section?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Download and Transfer the Update File to Your USB Storage Device

Download the sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09 file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference) on your computer.
                      Format a compatible USB storage device the FAT32 file system and connect it to your computer.
                      Note: A USB storage device, such as a Sony® Micro Vault® device, or something similar, is required to perform the update. Sony is aware that not all USB storage devices are compatible with our TVs. If you are using a USB device for playback of photos, music, or videos on your TV, the same USB device type should work for the update. If the software update is not successful after following the instructions, you may need to format your device to the FAT32 file system, or use a different device. View formatting instructions.
                      Go to the directory where the file was downloaded, right-click on the sony_dtv_pkgaa0211pn.p09 file and, from the menu, click Send To..., and then click the drive (EX: Removable Disk (E) that represents your USB device. The update file will be copied onto your USB device.
                      Remove the USB device from your computer.
                      Please continue to the next section.

Updating the Software

Note: The software update takes approximately ten minutes to complete. During the update process, the screen on your BRAVIA television will display progress information, or may be blank. This is normal. Please do not remove the USB storage device until the update is complete.

WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF THE TV OR UNPLUG THE POWER CORD WHILE THE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS.

Turn the TV off.
                      Insert the USB storage device into the USB port located on the side of the TV. Note: The USB storage device can only be inserted into the USB port slot one way.
                      TV USB Port
                      Turn your TV on by pressing the POWER button on the Remote Control. Once the USB storage device has been detected, a message appears indicating that the files are being updated.
                      Files Updating Screen
                      A message appears indicating that the TV will start the update process.
                      Update Starting Screen
                      DO NOT REMOVE THE USB DEVICE OR TURN OFF THE TV UNTIL THE UPDATE IS COMPLETE.
                      IMPORTANT: The TV will power off and then back on as a normal part of the update.
                      After several minutes, a message appears indicating The software update is complete.
                      Update Complete Screen
                      Remove the USB device from the TV, and then click OK by pressing the ENT button ENT Button on the remote control.
                      Delete the update files from the USB device, or reformat the USB device.
                      The update process is now complete.
                      Here is the firmware page:
                      https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...loads/Z0000286

but again, i have no picture. So after i prepare the usb with firmware is it automatic progress? Because i have no option to monitor the update process.

Comment

My sony was auto progress, it was done when I got 2 amber lights, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Is it normal to have a resistance reading between HV Transformer windings? I got:
                          EY6621-EY6620 0.5 Ohm and shortcircuit buzzing in short circuit mode
                          EY6618-EY6619 0.5 Ohm and shortcircuit buzzing in short circuit mode

EY6700-EY6701 30 Ohms no shortcircuit buzz
                          EY6702-EY6703 30 Ohms no shortcircuit buzz
                          Attached Files

Comment

Those readings of the windings will be really low because they are DC resistance (DCR) especially the primary windings.
                            At this point you need to make sure you have the correct Voltage and the command signals for the circuit to run first.
                            How about the DC Voltage on the main filter cap when you turn on the TV/
                            If there is no boosted Voltage the there will be no H.V. output.
                            BTW, do not measure the H.V. on the output of the inverter transformer, if the inverter comes on it will damage your meter since the output can be as high as 2000VAC!

CN6154:
                            DIMMER 0V -> 0V
                            How about the Voltage on the ERROR pin?
                            You have 5 pins on that connector but I cannot tell how many wires are attached to that connector using your pictures.
                            Last edited by budm; 03-02-2018, 03:16 PM.
                            Never stop learning

Comment

BTW, if you do have 380VDC between the two legs of the main cap then check that resistor R6700 (4.7 Ohms) which feeds the 12VDC for the GATE drive circuit for the MOSFETs that drive the primary of the inverter transformer.
                              Never stop learning

Comment

Those readings of the windings will be really low because they are DC resistance (DCR) especially the primary windings.
                                At this point you need to make sure you have the correct Voltage and the command signals for the circuit to run first.
                                How about the DC Voltage on the main filter cap when you turn on the TV/
                                If there is no boosted Voltage the there will be no H.V. output.
                                BTW, do not measure the H.V. on the output of the inverter transformer, if the inverter comes on it will damage your meter since the output can be as high as 2000VAC!

CN6154:
                                DIMMER 0V -> 0V
                                How about the Voltage on the ERROR pin?
                                You have 5 pins on that connector but I cannot tell how many wires are attached to that connector using your pictures.
                                Sorry, messed measurements. There is no NC (as intended).
                                First main capacitor C6501 is around 308V

Then measurements for CN6154 pins (All other boards connected to IP1 power board, measurements of CN6154 from IP1 side) as a attached table.

Inverter error fluctuates around 3.3V, when AC plug connected to grid, again fluctuates around 3.3V when TV is turned on, after TV shuts itself and error red led starts blinking, it statys around 3.3V for 1-2 sec then quickly gets down to 0V and again after 1-2 sec it rises to around 3.3V again.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Only 308VDC on the main cap? Your AC Voltage for your country is 230VAC, correct? Then the DC Voltage between the two legs of the cap should be around 230VAC x 1.41. = 325VDC unless you incoming AC is not at 230VAC.
                                  Since you do not have 380VDC when TV is turned on then you have problem with the power supply board, that section of the power supply has to be fixed first to get the correct Voltage to run the inverter circuit.
                                  Since you have the schematic then you just have to start checking the power supply board next. Make sure that you do have PS-ON present for sure when you turn the TV on.
                                  Never stop learning

Comment

Only 308VDC on the main cap? Your AC Voltage for your country is 230VAC, correct? Then the DC Voltage between the two legs of the cap should be around 230VAC x 1.41. = 325VDC unless you incoming AC is not at 230VAC.
                                    Since you do not have 380VDC when TV is turned on then you have problem with the power supply board, that section of the power supply has to be fixed first to get the correct Voltage to run the inverter circuit.
                                    Since you have the schematic then you just have to start checking the power supply board next. Make sure that you do have PS-ON present for sure when you turn the TV on.
                                    Hello budm, sorry far late reply, weekend, daughters volleyball sessions, etc.

Our mains is 220VAC, measured mains, it was 224VAC, main CAP was 304V DC when plug connected to supply, 389VDC when TV turned on, till 14 blinks.

Will start to check power board.

Comment

My sony was auto progress, it was done when I got 2 amber lights, if I recall correctly.
                                      Tried update, formatted FAT32 (was already FAT32, reformatted neverthless), plugged in then turned on TV. After 2 secs flash drive leds blinked a couple of times, then off for 2-3 secs, then blinked couple of times then stopeed. And approximately 4-5 secs TV led started infamous 14 red blinks and turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by alpersen View Post
                                        Tried update, formatted FAT32 (was already FAT32, reformatted neverthless), plugged in then turned on TV. After 2 secs flash drive leds blinked a couple of times, then off for 2-3 secs, then blinked couple of times then stopeed. And approximately 4-5 secs TV led started infamous 14 red blinks and turned off.
                                        Ok, understandable, the firmware update/reapply can work if your problem was firmware related, it looks like your powersupply is the problem, budm can get you there, take your time, it's a process.

Comment

Working...
                                        X