Visio Main Board Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Visio Main Board Repair

If the regulators on the main board are good, not much else you can do. I do not have much luck fixing the main board except when it just have bad regulators or bad caps, other than that I was not able to do other repair on the main board.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
      If the regulators on the main board are good, not much else you can do. I do not have much luck fixing the main board except when it just have bad regulators or bad caps, other than that I was not able to do other repair on the main board.
      Sorry for interfere this thread. I have read some thread and think the main board is hard to repair whatever great SMD tools we have, the brand and model of TV? So just regulators and bad caps?
      "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
      Rudi
      Thank You

Comment

These main boards have to boot up, The regulators, e proms, micro, firmware, all have to co mingle together. Thats why so many main boards are replaced. Corrupt firmware form bad e prom's tops my list.

Comment

I have question about Vizio board with EEprom problem. Have to change it with
          a new one (programmed)?Is this the only way to fix?

Comment

If its a "newer" set and a lot of the eproms are going bad. You can find them all ready flashed on sites like xbay, shopjixxy Also some set have an (service port) usb on newer sets, to upload new firmware. It eguates to flashing your bios on your computers mother board.

Comment

Thanks TVBob

Comment

Talked with a reputable nationwide shop today, and a tech told me first thing he checks on the main is the crystal. Check it on both sides and they should be half of the standby. I guess if standby is 5v, then 2.5 on each side. Then the eprom next to the processor, and that should be 3.3. If they check out, he proceeds to the LDO's. Those were some of the components that are checked and I'm fairly certain all of his procedures were not disclosed.

Also, which I thought was interesting two kits were being sold on the bay with different sets of regulators that might fix the problem. One had four of the 1117 replacement with two fuses (U2, U4, U6, U7) while the other had U8, U9, U10 and U33. Go figure.

Anyway, I believe the problem here could very well be the main processor. On top of the chip were the pad is, gets very warm just after, oh about 5 minutes or so.That's what they do, but I don't think it should be that fast. Plus that burnt electrical odor is very profound when the back was taken off around the mainboard side.

I'm leaning towards getting it repaired or replaced at this point. One repair shop said $60.00 bucks to do it.(it's in Tx), but have to double check on that price again. Most of them are out of stock and the ones who do have them are asking 175.00 and up. And to boot, there's another set that's up for sale around 100 with the same issue that would have been put to good use. But not until this one gets fixed.
                Last edited by gustav; 12-12-2013, 01:04 AM. Reason: Bad english. lol

Comment

Talked with a reputable nationwide shop today, and a tech told me first thing he checks on the main is the crystal. Check it on both sides and they should be half of the standby. I guess if standby is 5v, then 2.5 on each side. Then the eprom next to the processor, and that should be 3.3. If they check out, he proceeds to the LDO's. Those were some of the components that are checked and I'm fairly certain not all of his procedures were not disclosed.

Also, which I thought was interesting two kits were being sold on the bay with different sets of regulators that might fix the problem. One had four of the 1117 replacement with two fuses (U2, U4, U6, U7) while the other had U8, U9, U10 and U33. Go figure.

Anyway, I believe the problem here could very well be the main processor. On top of the chip were the pad is, gets very warm just after, oh about 5 minutes or so. I know that's what they do, but I don't think it should be that fast. Plus that burnt electrical odor is very profound when the back was taken off around the mainboard side.

I'm leaning towards getting it repaired or replaced at this point. I thought one repair shop said $60.00 bucks to do it.(it's in Tx). I have double check on that price again. Most of them are out of stock and the ones who do have them are asking 175.00 and up. And to boot, there's another set that's up for sale around 100 with the same issue. But Santa's out of town-----Again.

Comment

Make sure your screen is good (panel not broken) and put the set aside for a while. Search xbay and the internet for a couple weeks, using different key words, set model # board # and you will find your board well under a hundred dollars. I personally have done this dozens of times. good luck.

Comment

I finally went out and bought a main board. After talking with several shops, these boards are hard to find. One shop hasn't seen one in over a year. There was one listed on the bay for a reasonable cost. I grabbed it. Anyway, I got the lights to work and menu showing. It appears to be the fix. The processor on the new board didn't get hot after 5 minutes or so like the other one did. Visio's to quote Budm: "is the armpit of t.v.s" Now to the next future project. Thanks all for the help. I'm still learning about these things and most likely will be forever.

Comment

Old thread revival

I'm on round 2 of a replacement main board from ebay. The first powered on and got the menu displaying but HDMI was all bad. I didn't want to try to replace the HDMI controller so I got a replacement. This new board powers on and has audio input through HDMI and backlight but doesn't render image on the screen (flashlight test fails--the screen isn't entirely black as it's glowing but with no picture).

My question is around voltage tests: Where does one find a guide on what the voltages should be going out to the T-Con board? I'm pretty sure that's where the problem is on this board. I did a voltage test going out and pin 1 is at zero. The even pins 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 all measure at 0.375v. Pins 40, 38, 36 are the expected 12v. I'm new to debugging this stuff but it seems there is something still wrong on the main board side going to the T-Con, but from the sound of this thead, maybe it's a voltage regulator issue....

Comment

Not sure what model you have, see if you have around 12 volts on either side of tcon board fuse, red positive probe on each side of fuse, black negative probe on metal chassis ground.

Comment

Originally posted by atomantic View Post
                            The first powered on and got the menu displaying but HDMI was all bad. I didn't want to try to replace the HDMI controller so I got a replacement.
                            If you saw the menu with the first mainboard then the tcon and power supply are working.
                            There is 12v power to the tcon and the 0.375V you are reading will be the low voltage differential signals.

Comment

Just because the first board rendered a display, does not mean that the tcon fuse is still in tact, only way to prove it IS test it, it's called being thorough AND it's a simple test.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-24-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

When used boards are scarce a lot of bad ones get recycled on eBay. Even listings "pulled from broken-screen TV" is not an assurance. I had a Sony TV for over a year buying and returning tcon boards. Eventually I got hold of a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X