Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Hi
Could someone tell me the differance between the 2 types of caps in the attachment - i have repaired the power supply board by replacing 6 caps and tv is now working but it has a low level buzz/whistle which can't be heard when tv is being used normally but can be heard slightly when theres nothing going on on screen.
In the kit i recieved it had all 3 of the 25v 1000uf the same as the smaller caps in the picture and the taller one was not included - when i asked i was told it would be ok to use the ones supplied.
I've checked online and all these boards appear to definately have one cap a differant physical size so i assume there must be a reason for it but being a newbie to electronics i don't know why or what for.
Could anyone shed some light on this for me please.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (365.5 KB, 20 views)
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
sam_sam_sam
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
City & State: Some times Sunny Jacksonville FL
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120 Volts 60 HZ
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 3,645
Default Re: bn44-00208a

What brand of capacitors did you use if can post a picture of the replacement capacitors that you used
__________________
9 PC LCD Monitor
6 LCD Flat Screen TV
30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
1 Dell Mother Board
15 Computer Power Supply
1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *


These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps
sam_sam_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
R_J
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
City & State: ☻
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 8,146
Default Re: bn44-00208a

The taller cap may be slightly better quality cap that was installed at the factory, That cap is for the +5v standby supply and that supply is always on that could be why they did it, installing a good quality cap in that location will be fine.
R_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:59 AM   #4
dick_barton
Badcaps Veteran
 
dick_barton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
City & State: Cardiff
My Country: Wales
Line Voltage: 230V AC, 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 6,544
Default Re: bn44-00208a

Physical size could be that it may be better at reducing the ripple current on that supply.
__________________
Willing to help but I'm no expert.
dick_barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default Re: bn44-00208a

Thanks very much for your comments
I have attached pictures of the caps fitted and after taking a closer look i feel the noise is not coming from the power supply.
The noise doesn't alter with the sound being turned up or down (its right down in the attached video)its not noisey in standby but only when tv is 'on' and does
seem to get lower the longer the tv is on for but doesn't disappear totally.
I don't know the history of the tv as only recieved it last week after it was being thrown out because it just went off and the owners bought a new one.
It is a samsung LE32A558p3f.
I'm not sure if i should have started a new thread for this problem or ok to continue with this one.

Thanks for any input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25v1000uf.jpg (977.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 35v1000uf.jpg (853.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 35v470uf.jpg (597.5 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip noise1.zip (4.90 MB, 6 views)
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #6
Davi.p
Badcaps Veteran
 
Davi.p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
City & State: Milan
My Country: Italy
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 2,490
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Your replacement caps are a unkown brand probably low quality, swap them with Panasonic or Nichicon ones and you probably have solved, after replacement post also picture of soldering job, if you're a novice on that side.. also that Jwco are suspective, myabe changed by someone else, but good to be changed now that your're on the track.. place an order by reputable seller, preferably not Amazon/ebay..

Last edited by Davi.p; 11-23-2021 at 05:57 AM..
Davi.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
cheeky2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
City & State: london uk
My Country: uk
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 188
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi.p View Post
Your replacement caps are a unkown brand probably low quality, swap them with Panasonic or Nichicon ones and you probably have solved, after replacement post also picture of soldering job, if you're a novice on that side.. also that Jwco are suspective, myabe changed by someone else, but good to be changed now that your're on the track.. place an order by reputable seller, preferably not Amazon/ebay..
+1 Change the capacitors to Panasonic FR range of the same value. I guess you bought a kit off ebay as there are quite a few sellers selling no name capacitors of poor quality. Anyone buying these are liable to changing them in a couple of years if your lucky that they last that long!
If you buy a kit always ask what capacitors are they supplying and the range as well. If they don't answer or fob you off with an answer 'like all suitable for the TV' then definitely look elsewhere
cheeky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Can anyone recommend where to get genuine Panasonic FR caps in uk?
Are all ebay sellers risky to buy genuine Panasonic caps from or can someone recommend a genuine seller?
Ive checked some of the bigger uk websites and the postage cost for 6 caps is very high (dearer than the caps).
I don’t have anywhere local to buy the items over the counter.
Thanks

Last edited by Phil289; 11-24-2021 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Added info
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Davi.p
Badcaps Veteran
 
Davi.p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
City & State: Milan
My Country: Italy
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 2,490
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

In the truth i have in the past bought Panasonic caps from an uk ebay seller after long searching in its feebacks, i don't know if its truly ok but you can try, don't ask me the name, unless you suggest it to me, Not only FR series are suitable i guess, for that near zero value tv especially, Also FM series, Rubycon and Nichicon brands, always better than Chinese parts, Real Panasonic have black label , gold writes, and a tiny red mark in pressure..
Davi.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:40 AM   #10
CityZen
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: NYC, NY
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 34
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

In reference to your original question, the taller cap has a temperature rating on it, whereas the others don't, implying that they have a lower rating.

You might pick up a cheap LCR-T4 component tester from Ebay and use it to test some of the caps you got and verify that they're within spec.
CityZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:11 AM   #11
vinceroger69
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
City & State: Nuneaton Warwickshire
My Country: uk
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil289 View Post
Can anyone recommend where to get genuine Panasonic FR caps in uk?
Are all ebay sellers risky to buy genuine Panasonic caps from or can someone recommend a genuine seller?
Ive checked some of the bigger uk websites and the postage cost for 6 caps is very high (dearer than the caps).
I don’t have anywhere local to buy the items over the counter.
Thanks
in the uk i use rs components or cpc mainly there used to be a ebay seller called h.m.comp who sold genuine panasonic capacitors very resonable priced but ebay shops closed now i have also used this ebay seller to prices not too bad for panasonic caps https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161890283...IAAOSw3WZgFU6R
vinceroger69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #12
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi.p View Post
In the truth i have in the past bought Panasonic caps from an uk ebay seller after long searching in its feebacks, i don't know if its truly ok but you can try, don't ask me the name, unless you suggest it to me, Not only FR series are suitable i guess, for that near zero value tv especially, Also FM series, Rubycon and Nichicon brands, always better than Chinese parts, Real Panasonic have black label , gold writes, and a tiny red mark in pressure..
Yes i'm definately going to try some good quality caps -Panasonic if i can locate some - its a lesson learnt and i won't make the same mistake again.
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:40 AM   #13
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityZen View Post
In reference to your original question, the taller cap has a temperature rating on it, whereas the others don't, implying that they have a lower rating.

You might pick up a cheap LCR-T4 component tester from Ebay and use it to test some of the caps you got and verify that they're within spec.
I was looking at those testers on ebay and for around £15 with a case looked good value and at least i could verify what's good and what's not instead of guessing - are they all the same or is there good and bad in what's available?
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:42 AM   #14
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceroger69 View Post
in the uk i use rs components or cpc mainly there used to be a ebay seller called h.m.comp who sold genuine panasonic capacitors very resonable priced but ebay shops closed now i have also used this ebay seller to prices not too bad for panasonic caps https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161890283...IAAOSw3WZgFU6R
Thanks for the link - he has good feedback but when i checked he doesn't have all the values i need so will keep looking for someone that has all of them.
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
CityZen
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
City & State: NYC, NY
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 34
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil289 View Post
I was looking at those testers on ebay and for around £15 with a case looked good value and at least i could verify what's good and what's not instead of guessing - are they all the same or is there good and bad in what's available?
They're mostly the same as far as I can tell. Some are more bare bones, some have nice cases and such. There could be variations in the firmware version they're running, but that might not matter much. I think they're quite an amazing value for what they can do.
CityZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #16
Phil289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
City & State: midlands
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 31
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityZen View Post
They're mostly the same as far as I can tell. Some are more bare bones, some have nice cases and such. There could be variations in the firmware version they're running, but that might not matter much. I think they're quite an amazing value for what they can do.
Have ordered one and should be here middle of next week - i can then test the old ones and the new ones and hopefully see whatís going on 🙂
Phil289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #17
dick_barton
Badcaps Veteran
 
dick_barton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
City & State: Cardiff
My Country: Wales
Line Voltage: 230V AC, 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 6,544
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceroger69 View Post
in the uk i use rs components or cpc mainly there used to be a ebay seller called h.m.comp who sold genuine panasonic capacitors very resonable priced but ebay shops closed now i have also used this ebay seller to prices not too bad for panasonic caps https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161890283...IAAOSw3WZgFU6R
Capacitors I also buy from CPC who have a massive range to choose from. You can also look at the specifications to ensure what you buy has the correct width, height and leg pinout so as to fit the pcb.
dick_barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #18
vinceroger69
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
City & State: Nuneaton Warwickshire
My Country: uk
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: samsung LE32A558p3f bn44-00208a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick_barton View Post
Capacitors I also buy from CPC who have a massive range to choose from. You can also look at the specifications to ensure what you buy has the correct width, height and leg pinout so as to fit the pcb.
I actually prefer cpc as you say great range of parts and tools etc, at good prices.
vinceroger69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums © 2003 - 2022
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?