Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSU with 12.67V on the 12V rail, should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSU with 12.67V on the 12V rail, should I be worried?

So I got this Fortron FSP PSU off of an old pc I bought for parts. This PSU by the specs is way better then the crap deluxe I use in my main PC so I thought I should change it for the fortron. Now that I have changed it, I monitored the voltages in BIOS and in Everest and they are as follows:
    BIOS
    11.9-12.01
    Everest
    12.54-12.67
    When under load with prime95 everest reports 12.54V
    Now I know that Everest (or any other software for that matter) is not exactly accurate when measuring voltages but still 12.67 seems a bit high. The standard allows for 12.6v at maximum.

The PSU is an older FSP350-60TH-P model with dual 12V rails on at 10A and the other rated at 15A.
    Other HW in my main PC
    Athlon 245
    Asus m4n78se
    Inno 3d GT2201gb
    WD Blue 500GB
    LG DVD RW

So should I be worried?
    Last edited by Koda; 02-04-2013, 05:58 AM.
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Re: PSU with 12.67V on the 12V rail, should I be worried?

You should probably check the voltage with a multimeter while the supply is under its' normal load. The software could be giving you some misleading readings. If you have not already done so, you may want to open it up and see if there are any caps going bad.

Comment

Software monitoring is wayyyyy too inaccurate. I've seen it off by up to 0.5V on the 12V. I only trust multimeter readings. If it actually is that high then that is very worrisome. Out of spec by quite a bit

Comment

If it's the older one, you should be able to slightly reduce it by potenciometer. But as has been said, first check real voltage with voltmeter/multimeter.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I don't have a quality multimeter so measuring it with a MM would be just as misleading as with software. Behemot, when I opened it I saw 2 little potentiometers near the output of the PSU, do you know which one controls the 12V output or do I go with trial and error?

Comment

Quality multimeter? What the hell? Even the most crappiest ones have accuracy of +-2 %, the slightly better ones usually even +-1 %…

Not sure really, you should use the multimeter to check +5 and +12 V on thy fly as you change the settings.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Koda View Post
              I don't have a quality multimeter so measuring it with a MM would be just as misleading as with software. Behemot, when I opened it I saw 2 little potentiometers near the output of the PSU, do you know which one controls the 12V output or do I go with trial and error?
              Even a cheap meter will beat software monitoring. Half a volt is just under 5%; a cheap meter will manage 1%.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So I took out my cheap MM and I measured the PSU under load and it gave me 12.15v under load and 12.55v without load. So I took Behemot's advice and adjusted the potentiometers just to be on the safe side. Now the PSU gives me 11.98v under load and 12.09v without load when testing with a MM and Everest reports 12.42v. Now I am much more comfortable with these voltages although I loaded down the 3.3v rail to about 3.15v but that's still within specs so I'm satisfied. Thanks to all of you guys especially to Behemot who pointed out to the adjusting the potentiometers.

Comment

Working...
                X