Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to find suitable replacement for APL 1086 transistor

Hi guys,
    I have an ECS AM2 motherboard that has a dead APL 1086 transistor which is getting hot if I try to start the motherboard. The only remotely close alternative I have on hand is an APL 1117 from another board and they are of similar specs. Would it be ok to replace the 1086 with 1117 just to see if the board will start or maybe even for a permanent replacement? Also can you please point me to suitable alternatives for the 1086.
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Re: Need to find suitable replacement for APL 1086 transistor

1086 is a 1.5A voltage regulator.
    lots of them about with different letters at the start

Comment

If the 1086 regulator is getting hot, remove it from the board and check for low resistance between input and output pins. There's actually a big chance the problem may be with some other component on the board that is causing the 1086 regulator to get overloaded and thus overheat.

Once you remove the 1086 regulator, also test the points on the board where the 1086 regulator was. In particular, look for low resistance to ground from the output pad.

And as stj said, we need more info on your 1086 regulator. That is, you need to give us all of the numbers and letters that are written on it. Those 1086 regulators come in various fixed voltages (1.8V, 2.5V, 3.3V, etc.) as well as an adjustable version.

Comment

i will make a prediction - this was probably supplying the ram.

Comment

The full naming of the regulator is APL 1086 and below it is GK1 GK. That's all there is written on the chip. no luck finding a datasheet for that specific model of the chip. I'll double check the naming in case I'm missing something. And yes the chip was next to the ram slot.

Comment

like most people, you used the wrong search engine.
            google is NOT your friend!
            Attached Files

Comment

Google finds the datasheet just fine. The first three links all point to the datasheet.

Comment

google is adaptive and abusive though, what it gives you is not the same as what it will give him - they hold profiles on users.

Comment

Originally posted by Koda View Post
                  The full naming of the regulator is APL 1086 and below it is GK1 GK. That's all there is written on the chip.
                  That's all we needed to know.

Since there is no suffix after the 1086 part, then this is the adjustable voltage version. Thus, should you find it is faulty, you will need another adjustable version as well. See page 2 of that datasheet above.

And yes the chip was next to the ram slot.
                  Doesn't necessarily mean it's for the RAM, though. I've seen those 1086 regulators used for Northbridge and/or Southbridge power as well. In older motherboards, sometimes AGP signaling too.

Anyways, do the resistance measurements I suggested in my last post and post the results here. Like I said, it may be something else down the line that is shorted and causing this regulator to overheat. A shorted ceramic capacitor is surely one possibility.

Comment

I use Google's search filters.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=file...pe:pdf+APL1086
                    Last edited by fzabkar; 05-29-2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      That's all we needed to know.

Since there is no suffix after the 1086 part, then this is the adjustable voltage version. Thus, should you find it is faulty, you will need another adjustable version as well. See page 2 of that datasheet above.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's for the RAM, though. I've seen those 1086 regulators used for Northbridge and/or Southbridge power as well. In older motherboards, sometimes AGP signaling too.

Anyways, do the resistance measurements I suggested in my last post and post the results here. Like I said, it may be something else down the line that is shorted and causing this regulator to overheat. A shorted ceramic capacitor is surely one possibility.
                      Thanks for all of the useful info guys. Momaka thanks for the suggestions and I think I understand your instructions on the needed measurements (noob and sometimes idiot when matters of electronics are concerned ). As soon as I find the time I will remove the transistor and give it a shot. Meanwhile could you point me to a suitable TO-220 replacement from other manufacturers of the chip because that would be the only type which I could get where I am. Thanks in advance guys.
                      Last edited by Koda; 05-30-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

for other manufacturors, just look for other letters followed by 1086

LD1086
                        LM1086
                        LT1086
                        NCP1086
                        SP1086
                        VR1086

probably others

Comment

Thanks stj that will help alot

Comment

Meanwhile could you point me to a suitable TO-220 replacement from other manufacturers of the chip because that would be the only type which I could get where I am. Thanks in advance guys.
                            Easiest way to find a replacement 1086 regulator is to find some older scrap motherboards - especially socket 462, 370, and 478. See if the local TV/electronics repair shops in your city have anything.

Again, you are looking for anything with "1086" in the name. *HOWEVER*, if there is "18", "25", "28", "33", etc. after the "1086" part, then that is a *fixed* voltage regulator. You are looking for an *adjustable* 1086 regulator - i.e. 1086 without suffix or sometimes also called 1086-adj.

Comment

I suspect the load to be the problem, or bad filter cap so it is oscillating at very high frequency.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                              X