Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 47LS5700 ~ Image is faint, mostly white

Hello all ~

I picked up this 47'' LG (47LS5700) Class 1080p 120Hz LED TV with SmartTV this morning and it is primarily in working order. The sound is good, and it powers on and off correctly. The image, however, is covered in a faint, white coloration that encompasses the entire screen. Some of the regular colors can be seen, but they are mostly "washed out" by the white.

There also seems to be a distinction between the degree of white on the left half of the image as opposed to the right half.

Thinking it's probably the T-con board, but I had a 65" Vizio a while back that also had a problem with the 1/2 left vs. 1/2 right side image and that was corrected by heating up the Main Board in the oven (strange, but it was the ony thing that worked).

Has anyone seen anything similar before? I will post pictures in just a couple of minutes.

~ kca
    Last edited by kca; 10-04-2020, 04:21 PM.

Re: LG 47LS5700 ~ Image is faint, mostly white

Here are several images to help with the diagnosis:

{Sorry most of those pics uploaded upside-down. I don't know why it does that, but you get the idea of the "white, washed-out" look and problem.}

I haven't opened up the back yet to look at any of the boards. Hoping to get to that this evening or early tomorrow. Also, I did not have it hooked up to a source when I took these pictures. Just brought it home and plugged it straight in. Hence, the "fuzzy" part of the image where a source image (DirecTV, AppleTV, or the like) would normally be.

As you can clearly see from most of the photos, it acutally has 3 distinct shades of background white going on. One that takes up about 3/6 of the picture, another that is close to 1/6 and the final 2/6 is another background coloration yet. Eager to hear all of your thoughts. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kca; 10-04-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Wondering if anyone has seen this before and can confirm if the problem is the T-con board or not.

I have taken it all apart, cleaned the connectors (especially the two from the Main Board and into the T-con) and reattched everything with no luck. Same result every time.

I also baked the Main Board to see if that would have any effect. No dice.

I will post a few more photos below as to what it does when the 2 ribbons leading from the bottom of the T-con out to the screen are alternately connected and disconnected:

1) The full back of the set with all boards showingT
      2) Up close shot of the T-con
      3) Part # of the T-con (Only about $12 on TV Parts Today)
      4) When the left T-con ribbon is disconnected but the right remains in place
      5) When the right T-con ribbon is disconnected but the left remains in place
      6) When both T-con ribbons are disconnected

About to order the T-con from TV Parts today, but if there is anything else I should check or anything on the T-con itself I should take a closer look at I would like to know before I place that order. Thanks to all for your subsequent help with this.

~ kca

Comment

is there a reset to factory setting ?

Comment

With tcons that reasonable, I'd throw one at it, see what happens.

Comment

Didn't try the reset to factory settings. I will do that. I did go ahead and ordered the T-con board after reading a few more posts on other sites. The board was $12.24 and the shipping was $14.95. Commerce in the age of Covid. At this point, I am pretty sure it's the T-con and very hopeful the new board will fix the issue when it arrives.

Comment

i generally set to factory to see it as it is and not how someone might have set it .

Comment

Forgot to get a picture of the entire set of boards from the back when I had everything unbuttoned, but I put all of the screws back in for now until the new board arrives.

So, from the list up above, here are Images #2 through #6:
                Attached Files

Comment

Well ...... the new T-CON Board arrived today and it did nothing to change the behavior of this set.

Before it came in the mail, I had taken the back panel back off and tried the Factory Reset that was suggested earlier. Then, after I installed the new T-CON and realized nothing changed then I tried the Factory Reset while using the new T-CON as well. Nada.

So, I am kind of stumped. I have already baked the Main Board once to reflow the solder. That often works with these LG tv's, as most of you know. I guess I could bake it again but don't feel that is likely to be profitable.

If you take another look at the photos above in the prior post, they would be exactly the same if I were to post more with the new T-CON in play. The odd thing in the sequence is that when I remove the bottom right ribbon of the the T-CON I get the expected pure white screen on that side of the tv and the other side remains grainy. However, when I remove the bottom left ribbon of the T-CON I get that 1/2 image that appears to have a black background with the blue/pink/kind of green vertical stripes that run from the top to the bottom of the screen (4th picture in the set of images above).

Does that set of circumstances lead back to the Main Board as the likely culprit here?

I have kind of ruled out the T-CON as being the source of the problem because of the identical behaviors with the old T-CON in place as compared to when the new T-CON was installed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~ kca

Comment

Maybe test those little ceramic capacitors on your driver board, the one that is between the tcon and panel. You can test them for shorts or low ohms, multimeter set to 200 ohms test probe on each side of cap, see if any read short or read very low ohms, I would be suspicious of any testing lower than about 100 ohms, most will probably read higher, often only one is bad but it will make several read bad, one technique is to remove one bad one at a time and check it again off the board and recheck any on the board that were reading bad, when you get the bad one off the others will read ok, if that is the problem.

Comment

Hello ~

Thanks for that tip. I will test those but just want to make sure that I have interpreted your note correctly. When you say the driver board between the T-con and the panel do you mean the Y-Sustain board? (The one that immediately precedes the upper and lower buffer boards).

Comment

Look for (water) damage on the COF cables, the image also seems divided into 2. Had a similar problem due to waterdamage.

Comment

Originally posted by kca View Post
                          Hello ~

Thanks for that tip. I will test those but just want to make sure that I have interpreted your note correctly. When you say the driver board between the T-con and the panel do you mean the Y-Sustain board? (The one that immediately precedes the upper and lower buffer boards).
                          There is no Y-sustain board, it's an led tv, the board in question is the skinny panel driver board/s between the tcon and the panel itself, sometimes you need to remove some shit to get to them.

Comment

Working...
                          X