Poor old ThinkPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor old ThinkPad

I am now the proud owner of my sisters X60s ThinkPad w/ ultrabase that it seems she did her best to try and destroy. I picked it out for her and my parents bought it in 2006. Yesterday I intercepted it in a box of other electronics that were destined for recycling. There were two other laptops in there from my brother in law that suffered a much worse fate. I will be posting those in another thread.

As for the ThinkPad, I got conflicting stories that it didn't work because liquid was spilled on it and/or it was dropped off the side of the bed. I plugged it in and amazingly enough it fired right up to the BIOS screen. My BIL had apparently removed the hard drive so that was as far as it got.

After surveying the damage, I found that the battery was long dead, the screen was pressure marked badly but not cracked, the keyboard was worn and messed up (pressing some keys yields multiple letters on the screen), the case was cracked on both sides by the screen hinges and the whole thing was dirty.

Here are some pictures after having cleaned it up. I happened to have an extra 500gig hard drive so that was installed with some paper towel as a shim due to the missing drive caddy. I loaded XP and all the hardware seems functional. I then went on a eBay buying spree to get some new parts for this old girl. For just over $40, I purchased a keyboard, palm rest bezel/side case, hard drive caddy/cover, and 2 gigs of RAM (stock was only 512mb).

Conclusion, ThinkPads are amazing machines and should never be written off before their time. Now if I could only get a decent deal on a battery, I would have a really solid netbook.
    Attached Files

Re: Poor old ThinkPad

Here's some batteries for the X60s, I know they're china made but they will work
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Did you mean to post a link?

Comment

Those marks are actually water damage not pressure.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ah so there was some truth to the tale about liquid being the source of its woes. If it is just liquid, I am picturing something along the lines of 'water spots on a window'. Could the panel be taken out and the back side of it cleaned?

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
            Did you mean to post a link?
            I thought I did, silly me

Here it is

http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/th...90&groupsort=1
            Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post

Conclusion, ThinkPads are amazing machines and should never be written off before their time. Now if I could only get a decent deal on a battery, I would have a really solid netbook.

I have never owned one, but have serviced a few. Though I prefer Dell Latitudes, the Thinkpads are definitely well-made and my 2nd choice.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

My main laptop is a ThinkPad T60, and I agree it's built like a tank. I also like how ThinkPads have a 3- button trackpoint, as I hate using touchpads.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I've had R50(or was it R51? I don't remember) and X31... both were quite solid. The X31 ended up dropped off a second story and didn't really survive that.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    The X31 ended up dropped off a second story and didn't really survive that.
                    Someone needs an anger management course.
                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      The X31 ended up dropped off a second story and didn't really survive that.
                      I wouldn't balme any laptop for not surviving that. It might even kill a Panny Toughbook.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I found this tutorial on repairing a water damaged screen: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/lapto...ok-lcd-screen/

Has anyone ever tried this? It would seem like the optical layers are just thin sheets of plastic. With luck wouldn't the water spots just clean off with some glass cleaner?

Also here is my BILs two other laptops (or at least what is left of them!):
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29215
                        Last edited by bluto; 06-03-2013, 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          It might even kill a Panny Toughbook.
                          I just took my old Toughbook, and tried it. The only bad thing that happened was the neighbor got angry.
                          But it still works fine
                          Last edited by shovenose; 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I took an anger management course once. It was such a waste of time it made me mad.
                            sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Working...
                            X