BCN's Russian Ties! Supermicro P6DGS Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BCN's Russian Ties! Supermicro P6DGS Build

Proof that BCN has ties to Russia!! There better be an investigation!

I lowballed the Ukrainian seller of this board, as it was a risky buy....one, would it even get here....and two, would it even work....the seller was unable to test it and had no idea....which is probably why he accepted my silly lowball offer. Not only did it arrive 12 days earlier than predicted, it also worked. Good gamble!

Test CPU's right after updating the BIOS to the latest. It had 1.0 on it (first release). It's now 3.1.....

Only damage I noticed was one memory slot latch was broken....it didn't affect function at all. Caps appear ok....but it has a bunch of those weird/fake NRSY caps that Supermicro was known to use back in those days.

Uhh ohh....From Russia with love, but Made in the USA? hmmmm

Testing functions, no issues....that's as far as I've gotten.

More as this build develops.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: BCN's Russian Ties! Supermicro P6DGS Build

ukraine is not part of russia.

yet!

Comment

*russian accent* thats a good score, comrade topcat! glad to see u know how to be a capitalist even after all these years. i know americans always like to bring their people and things back home eventually. not sure how american contraband slipped through the soviet blockade but u know how slippery those capitalists can be... *end russian accent*

sorry bout that... been watching too many cold war 50-80s tv shows and video games based on that era. the man from uncle (tv series), mission impossible (tv series) and no one lives forever 2 (video game) among others lol!

Comment

https://player.vimeo.com/video/277354271#t=4m38s
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I forgot to dump the camera today and update this thread before getting into construction mode....

I did repair the broken RAM slot latch. The slot & latch holder was not broken, just the latch itself. I found a junk board that had the identical style latch, and surgically removed it... I then snapped it into the memory slot holder on this board.....the aftermath was perfection!

I also tossed 2gb of RAM I had and W2K on it...functioned without issues. It just dawned on me, I don't have any slot-1 CPU's left that are faster than P3 700's....so I just left the P2 450's in it. I did track down the ARO-1130C (with the upgraded 16mb module) raidport controller for it for $19 shipped.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Ok, I remembered to dump the camera.......so some pics.

The 'sacrificial lamb' for the RAM slot latch:

Like it never even happened!

The Test bed:

More plextor goodness and a 73gb 15k test HDD

RAM @ 2gb

Alive & well.

Now, this is where it gets good! Some original icydock goodness. I've got 4 of these (for 68-pin scsi), bought new in the 90's...but 2 of them are MIA....for the life of me I can't find them. They've been stored away since around 2002. I also have 4x of these NIB for 80-pin SCA. They have been found. They're solid aluminum and very well built...a trait that PC's lack these days.

This is some 16+yr old dust!

Disassembled.

Thoroughly cleaned (hotwashed in the sink) & fans disassembled, greased, and reassembled.

WTF is this!

That's all for now....
            Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              WTF is this!
              not sure what u meant by that. did u suddenly find another abit vp6 u didnt know u had when clearing out the dust bunnies for your original icydock?

Comment

is that a dual athlon board??

Comment

^
                  No, I sold all those off....I hated every socket-A system I ever had, even the dual ones. This is a trusty VP6.

I still haven't located the 2 missing icydock racks....They were removed from service in June of 2005 and replaced with something different:

Before:

Removed, system cleaned, and replaced with these:

Those photos were taken in June of 2005 in the same photo session....which told me when they were taken out of service, and haven't been used since. How or why the icydocks got separated over the last 13 years is yet to be explained....I have no earthly idea. I knew where they *should* have been, but when I opened that box, I only found 2. They've got to be in the building somewhere....but all the places I could imagine them possibly being, they haven't been there.... I still have the other set of 4, new in box that are made for SCA 80-pin SCSI, but I've got another build in mind for those. I do have this pair, which will work for this build....but I tend to not lose things, so these 2 missing ones are driving me f*cking crazy!!
                  Attached Files
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I did track down the ARO-1130C (with the upgraded 16mb module) raidport controller for it for $19 shipped.
                    The ARO-1130C showed up today, horribly packaged and no anti-static material.....as if by some miracle, it did work....atleast through the firmware 'marriage' process which you have to go through every time you stick one of these into a different board. I'll set up a RAID on it tomorrow and make sure the rest works.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

The RAID controller (inspite of its horrible packaging) works. I used my last 2 IBM 9.1gb 7200rpm HDD's. OS installed.

Dusty, yes.....it'll all get a good cleaning before assembly into a case.

The icydock racks.....yes the other two are still MIA.....son-of-a-b....

The 4x new in box SCA icydocks....I've got anotehr build in mind for these.

I have a case in mind for this one....but it'll take some work to get it there.....so it may take a little while...
                      Attached Files
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

that's a solid OS you got there, rock-solid.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004 View Post
                          that's a solid OS you got there, rock-solid.
                          Very solid OS. He runs it on almost everything.
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

^
                            For retro stuff, absolutely. It's a toss between that and XP, depending on the hardware abilities. For anything SMP (my strange little specialty), obviously win98se isn't plausible....but if it can run on 9x, I can make it run on NT5!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

2k not having a sleep (ie s3 stby) was a deal-breaker for me.

Comment

Windows 2000 supports S3 standby, requires ACPI support of course, which many old BIOS of that age might lack.
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

win2k may support it somewhere, sometime, but xp supports it better, given that it works ok on xp on same 2007 mobo.
                                  (and now you'll say that's too new for 2k to support? <wink>)

as for who controls what (bios or windows), here's interesting thread
                                  https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=17&t=895676

Comment

Originally posted by i4004 View Post
                                    win2k may support it somewhere, sometime, but xp supports it better, given that it works ok on xp on same 2007 mobo.
                                    (and now you'll say that's too new for 2k to support? <wink>)

as for who controls what (bios or windows), here's interesting thread
                                    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=17&t=895676
                                    So first you say W2K doesn't support S3 standby now your saying XP does it better? Nice job trying to redirecting your lack of knowledge.

W2K is the best OS for vintage systems because there are a shitload more drivers available for really old hardware than XP has and it runs better than XP on that vintage hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                      So first you say W2K doesn't support S3 standby now your saying XP does it better? Nice job trying to redirecting your lack of knowledge.

W2K is the best OS for vintage systems because there are a shitload more drivers available for really old hardware than XP has and it runs better than XP on that vintage hardware.
                                      Not to mention the fact that Win2K is a literal brick poophouse in terms of stability and is a LOT more resistant to viruses than XP. Keep it behind a good firewall and it's basically 100% impenetrable.
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I've been crazy busy with other things the last few weeks....but fwiw, I did recap this board and hotwash it. It was filthy with Ukrainian dust bunnies!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X