LCD monitor backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD monitor backlight

I have a question about the CCFL backlight found in LCD monitors. I have two HP L1950 LCDs which I am using in my dual monitor setup. I got these second hand a while ago and they've been great LCD monitors overall, haven't had a problem at all with them.

A few days ago (after months of use) I discovered that when you go to "information" in the OSD, it tells you the back light hours. The main monitor (1) has 3200 hours on it, the secondary monitor (2) has 4590 hours on it. Now I don't see a problem with these displays AT ALL. Colour is great and they aren't dim though I will say that the LCD with higher back light hours is slightly dimmer and a tiny bit more yellowed in colours than the latter as expected due to the hours difference.
    But then I was looking up this stuff since I'm getting interested in this "backlight hours" feature, but then to the death of all glory, these CCFL bulbs only last 5000 hours and then die?

I did the maths and worked out that if an LCD is left on 24/7 (which many are), that's about 7 months straight 24/7? I've seen LCDs in workplaces and shops even older than these stay on 24/7 for more than 18-24 months without a problem. :S
    Can someone enlighten me on this stuff? (not in the mood to get new displays... yet).

On a side note, I ALWAYS buy my IT stuff second hand for peanuts because I don't see the point of buying brand new or current top of the line etc. if all I do is browse the net and watch Youtube.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: LCD monitor backlight

Anyone?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Only 5k hours doesn't sound right. if that twas the case, I'm sure I'd be seeing a LOT more dead LCD panels than I do.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Unless there has been catastrophic failure (loss of vacuum/filling gas, broken electrode) CCFL do not suddenly stop working unlike incandescent lamps. Typical lifetime is 50K hours to 50% brightness.

Comment

I've got at least 12k backlight hours on most of my HP 1955s and they don't seem dim or yellowed at all.

Check the color temperature function in the OSD. On my monitor I can adjust the intensity of red, green, and blue or use Kelvin presets which adjust them for me.

5k is nothing for a CCFL.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-30-2011, 09:08 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I think the 5000 hour lifetime is listed in the specs so people will freak out and buy a new monitor after that time period.

Comment

It's been a long time since I looked into it but I believe the operating brightness makes a huge difference in the bulb's lifespan. I always keep my backlights pretty dim, I don't see the point running them really bright. That makes them look good in store displays but it's not necessary. At most, it might take a few minutes to get used to the dimmer setting, then you won't notice anymore.
              I just checked - my main desktop LCD is on 0 brightness. I used to have it on 15% but I changed to 0 when there was a power outage. I never remembered or cared to change it back. It looks normal to me.

I bought a twin of this monitor on ebay 2 years ago, it was noticeably a bit discolored compared to mine. When I checked the hidden menu they both had almost identical POH.
              I saved pics of this so I just looked it up:
              My original monitor was at 16.4K POH, 89K panel cycles
              The ebay monitor was at 16.8K POH, 34K panel cycles
              The previous owner probably had it on factory default brightness, while I had been using 15%.

Mine is now up to 28K POH, and I'm pissed off because I just accidentally RESET the damn thing. Shit.

Comment

There are a lot of people that run their monitors at 100% brightness and throw a fit if you turn the brightness down to 99%. This seems to place a lot of stress on the backlight inverter as well as hurting my eyes and making the CCFLs wear out more quickly.

The CCFLs might only last 5000 hours at full brightness in some monitors.
                Last edited by lti; 10-01-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I'm running my monitor at 30% and that's plenty bright for me. At higher brightness levels, there's some noticeable backlight bleeding at the edges.

Comment

Working...
                  X