Samsung 226BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 226BW

I inherited a "dead" monitor, Samsung Model 226BW.
    The screen is black, but the power button shows blue light surrounding it.
    While trying every adjustment button underneath the lower right edge, the screen will occasionally display a small white rectangle in the upper left screen which says "digital" or sometimes "analog". They disappear on their own.

A Google session revealed that there were many failures with this model, and many seemed to involve bad capacitors on the power supply.
    I pulled the case apart, and visually inspected the caps on the power board, I think, not the video board.
    None appear bulged or defective in any obvious way.
    I read a few threads regarding this monitor on the BADCAPS forum.
    Hmmm. I have little experience with electronics, but I want to see what I can do.

I used a pocket multimeter to see what is up with the caps on this board.
    The board is the same as depicted in several pictures from other posts RE Samsung 226BW monitors.
    For example:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=SAMSUNG+226BW

I freed the board from the chassis, and plugged in the power cable.
    I read 15.7V DC across 6 different caps in various locations on the board.
    I was impressed by the consistency, and by the fact that I did not electrocute myself, since I don't really know what I am doing!

If I can repair this thing for cheap, it will be a major victory in the face of our throw-away society.

Obviously, the power is transformed from 110vAC.
    Does anyone know what the DC voltage should read?
    Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my first post.
    James

Re: Samsung 226BW

What happens when you hook it up to a working computer and select the appropriate input?

Pictures of the boards in this monitor will help us help you. Attach using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill...you would ask me that!
      I did not test the monitor with a PC...
      My brother has been using it for 3+ years, and it died on him.
      Off warranty, and frustratingly kaput, he bought a new one and dished the dead one to me.
      I assumed that he checked for the obvious problems; he is pretty OCD.
      Now, it's in pieces on my dining table.
      I will plug together the components and answer your question tomorrow.
      Thanks!
      (Duh...)

Comment

PlainBill
        I connected the monitor to a signal, and power.
        When pushed, the power button shows blue light around it.
        The monitor lights up and shows a proper display for about 2 seconds.
        Then it goes black.
        Deep in the black, I can still see a very faint image of the proper display.
        Very very faint, I cannot discern text, just light vs. dark areas.
        I made some pictures of the power board before reassembly.
        Thank you for your help!

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RATTLERMAN View Post
          PlainBill
          I connected the monitor to a signal, and power.
          When pushed, the power button shows blue light around it.
          The monitor lights up and shows a proper display for about 2 seconds.
          Then it goes black.
          Deep in the black, I can still see a very faint image of the proper display.
          Very very faint, I cannot discern text, just light vs. dark areas.
          I made some pictures of the power board before reassembly.
          Thank you for your help!
          Troubleshoot as 2 seconds to black. Various causes possible: bad caps, shorted transistors, open fuses, bad transformer, bad ccfl (bulb or wiring), etc.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Comment

You need to replace the caps.

Please list them all here. I re-capped this monitor, but I forgot what I used.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

2 seconds to black

If you are searching 2 seconds to black, read this:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

@jayoung
              Thank you for that, very interesting, "2 seconds to black", exactly!
              I had no idea...
              I will follow as much of the diagnostic as possible.
              Perhaps I can even find somebody with an ESR tester, or buy one.

@mockingbird
              Thanks for the input!
              I see that cap problems are common, and that this site is dedicated.
              I may be sucking solder very soon, and replacing the crap on these boards.

Comment

It's not worthwhile to buy an ESR tester for replacement parts that will probably cost you less than $2.

You don't need to suck the solder, just loosen the cap by heating the contact. You can then wick away the excess. It's a very easy board to solder.

The only thing I can remember is using some LXZ in the top left corner. That's a filter there, so make sure you match the ESR of the input and output.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

mockingbird
                  I have a soldering iron and wick.
                  But I know little about circuit boards and never did this before.
                  Is the red arrow the "filter" that you replaced with LXZ component?
                  Are the green components caps, and did you replace all of them?
                  Thanks again!

Attached Files

Comment

LXZ is a capacitor series by nippon chemicon. i think he meant the small caps in the foreground in the pic above.

Generally, you only need to replace the small caps (all the green marked ones). The grain silo 400+V primary cap hardly ever fails, and if it does, it'll usually cause the fuse to blow and the whole thing wouldn't work at all afterwards (as if it wasn't plugged in).

I usually recap those 22xBW PSU boards with Panasonic FM or FR series for the "larger small caps"

Comment

Originally posted by RATTLERMAN View Post
                      mockingbird
                      I have a soldering iron and wick.
                      But I know little about circuit boards and never did this before.
                      Is the red arrow the "filter" that you replaced with LXZ component?
                      Are the green components caps, and did you replace all of them?
                      Thanks again!
                      No! Don't touch that!!! I meant a Pi Filter which is composed of input capacitors, a coil, and output capacitors. Make sure you match the ESR of the input caps and the output caps.

The big (Electrolytic) input filter cap - leave that alone, those don't fail usually.

Don't get confused - I see that some of your caps say "LXZ". Those are not the "LXZ" I used. The ones I used were blue in color and they were made by United Chemi-Con.

Comment

Here's a list of the caps
                        I still have to troubleshoot through the "2 seconds to black" diagnostic.

1-50v 47uF SAM YOUNG
                        2-50v 2.2uF SAM YOUNG
                        3-25v 820uF LXZ
                        4-25v 820uF LXZ
                        5-25v 820uF LXZ
                        6-25v 330uF SAM YOUNG
                        7-25v 820uF LXZ
                        8-25v 820uF LXZ
                        9-50 22uF SAM YOUNG
                        Attached Files

Comment

The diameters help, and Sam Young -> what series?

The LXZ are Sam Young too BTW. I can make out the logo.
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...ee13191f03.pdf

SamYoung LXZ 25v 820uF 10x25mm [Ripple]1440-mA and [ESR]0.045-ohms
                          If the can size is different adjustments to the specs are needed.
                          If you will please edit your profile to show at least what country are in then members can recommend the best places for you to get caps.
                          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-09-2011, 11:51 PM.
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Chemicon LXZ are a direct replacement for SamYoung LXZ because they used to be affiliated.
                            [Chemicon uses better materials so same specs but their caps are better quality.]
                            Panasonic FC, Nichicon PW or Chemicon KY should all be upgrades depending on the specific can size..

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Thanks PCBONEZ, mockingbird and Scenic!

caps measure:

1-50v 47uF SAM YOUNG-6.5mm
                              2-50v 2.2uF SAM YOUNG-5.3mm
                              3-25v 820uF LXZ-10.3
                              4-25v 820uF LXZ
                              5-25v 820uF LXZ
                              6-25v 330uF SAM YOUNG-10.1
                              7-25v 820uF LXZ
                              8-25v 820uF LXZ
                              9-50 22uF SAM YOUNG-6.5

I'm in the Boston area.
                              These guys are about 15 mins away, brick and mortar, thought I might check with them first.
                              http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/
                              Last edited by RATTLERMAN; 12-10-2011, 08:58 AM. Reason: add location info

Comment

Brick and mortars rarely have low ESR caps but maybe you'll get lucky.
                                Looked
                                Don't bother going.
                                They only list NTE which is a generic and not low ESR.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-10-2011, 10:36 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Update:
                                  I visited Home Depot and bought a new soldering iron, Weller SP40LK.
                                  A 40W iron with 3 tips. $18.00
                                  Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-SP40LK-.../dp/B000HE5BZS

My only soldering experience has been attaching flexwatt heat tape to power cords using an age-unknown radio shack pencil iron.
                                  (Yes, I keep snakes.)
                                  Very beat and old tip seemed too bulky for circuit board work so I bought the Weller.

I also searched internet for caps until I found this site:

http://thecapking.com/index.html

I hope they aren't "The Enemy!"

I placed an order for the 9 caps that I need, including 1 extra on each type.
                                  $4.20, no shipping charge for USPS delivery.

We'll see how that works.

OK, so the new Weller, and the old Shack irons...
                                  Using a wick from Shack, I got off to a slow start.
                                  Solder would not melt.
                                  I started with the pointy tip on the new Weller.
                                  Also tried the fat point of my trusty Shack iron.

I managed to get the first cap off the board, but much fussing led me to believe things were not quite hot enough.

I swapped out the pointy tip for a chisel tip on the Weller.
                                  The chisel tip worried me, since it appeared to have a bumpy chisel edge, hmmm, made in Mexico?

The bumpy edge proved to be transient, and disappeared after heating.
                                  Pre-tinned?

After that, the caps jumped off the board.

Now, waiting for new caps to arrive.
                                  I hope I didn't massacre the board!

Attached Files

Comment

You did make a cap map, right?
                                    Other than that it looks good.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

PCBONEZ

Thanks for your help!
                                      The cap locations are pretty much memorized after so much time scrutinizing things...only 4 types total.
                                      All recorded by photos posted here, and specs.

I have observed that cap locations are marked on the top deck with a circle, half black, half not, that seem to correspond with pos/neg leads on the caps.
                                      Cap numbers start with "C", printed on the top and bottom of the board, including pos/neg notation.
                                      The tops of my factory caps were hand-marked with a sharpie swipe that seems to correspond with the neg side of the cap.
                                      The neg side seems to correspond with a vertical silver band on the can wrapper that includes some black - - dashes
                                      I am assuming that means negative.

Next, I get to experience installing the new caps.
                                      I never did this before, so it is an adventure!
                                      Align pos/neg legs, bend the wires and then see if I can get solder to drool into the holes.

Is it better to clip the leg wires before soldering?
                                      Or after?
                                      Or not at all?

Thanks again!
                                      James

Comment

You don't want the solder to drool into the holes, you want it to bond to the pad and the lead. Since you consider yourself an amateur, I would NOT cut the leads beforehand. Solder everything in with the legs, make sure your satisfied, make sure the polarity is correct, and then snip them.

What did you order for substitutes?

Comment

Working...
                                        X