Sony Bravia KDL-55XBR8 Button Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-55XBR8 Button Issues

Hi! I was able to get a Sony KDL-55XBR8 for free off of craigslist tonight... They had told me that it did not turn on. When I got home the TV turned on fine but had a seemingly common vertical line issue, I was able to fix this easily by just cleaning the connections to the T Con board.

The TV appears to be working fine now picture wise (static) but I am unable to change input/volume/anything.... The only button on the remote that does anything is the power button. On the TV itself there is a physical power "button" that works every time and a separate area that has more touch sensitive areas that are supposed to do things like input/volume/channel/etc. These buttons don't do anything. I am unable to get to a menu or change inputs or anything

When I press the glass to press the button the TV does register my touch by making the the led wording brighter.

Any ideas on where to begin trouble shooting this?
    Last edited by RobertoIsRad; 04-14-2019, 10:17 PM.

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-55XBR8 Button Issues

See if you can do a firmware update/reapply with a usb drive.

Comment

Also try unhooking the button board and see if your remote works then.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

I followed sony's directions but wasn't able to do a firmware update. It said it should happen automatically after inserting the USB and it never did...

I unplugged the board which caused the button lights to go out but the remote still did not work.

Comment

Did you follow this procedure step by step? should have worked, if you did that and no joy, maybe try having usb inserted before you plug tv in then turn tv on and see if that does the trick. https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...loads/W0004519

Comment

Originally posted by RobertoIsRad View Post
            Hi! I was able to get a Sony KDL-55XBR8 for free off of craigslist tonight... They had told me that it did not turn on. When I got home the TV turned on fine but had a seemingly common vertical line issue, I was able to fix this easily by just cleaning the connections to the T Con board.

The TV appears to be working fine now picture wise (static) but I am unable to change input/volume/anything.... The only button on the remote that does anything is the power button. On the TV itself there is a physical power "button" that works every time and a separate area that has more touch sensitive areas that are supposed to do things like input/volume/channel/etc. These buttons don't do anything. I am unable to get to a menu or change inputs or anything

When I press the glass to press the button the TV does register my touch by making the the led wording brighter.

Any ideas on where to begin trouble shooting this?
            Did you figure this out? Same issue with my 55XBR8

Comment

Try an update, be sure to follow directions to the letter: https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0004519

Comment

Working...
              X