LG W2252V-PF troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG W2252V-PF troubleshooting

My trusty old LG seems to have some issues powering on. Initially the power led did not turn on at all and neither did the backlights. I checked the fuse and i get proper voltage on the large caps.

After resoldering some joints which seemed to have a halo, the monitor light come on, makes the normal "start chime" and the backlights are on. There is no image or OSD though.

The monitor being 11 years old, had one simmilar issue 5 years ago where it would not power on at all and a few caps were replaced by a friend as they were bulging which brought it back to life since.

Cap list on the board:
    2x 1000uF/16V Teapo SEK (GP caps) <- replaced previously
    1x 1000uF/16V Jenpo CE-WH <- replaced previously
    3x 470uF/35V Su'scon SG (Ultra Low ESR, High ripple current)
    1x 0.22uF/50V Su'scon
    1x 33uF/50V SamYoung NXB

I will probably do a total recap being the board is rather old and the caps (although still not leaking) are crappy brands, will also measure their specs when i remove them.
    • All diodes are ok
    • All resistors are in specs
    • No shorts present as the fuse isnt blown
    • The 470uF/35V Su'scon SG measured 0.01-0.02 ESR and 467uF so they were not the issue

Any idea what else i should measure to check it's functioning?

Are the 1000uF/16v ones supposed to be GP and not lowESR? I can not find a decent photo of other boards to see the caps or a schematic for this monitor PSU "AIP-0178"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Viperel; 12-01-2019, 07:53 AM.

Re: LG W2252V-PF troubleshooting

Found a few pictures online which confirmed that the caps were all the same type originally (su'scons SG) and not the generic crap installed when previously repaired.
    So i thought to start with those and after replacing the three 1000uf/16V the monitor is alive again. Will do a total recap soon but im waiting for my order as i dont have any 35V in stock and larger/50V won't fit physically.

For some data, the Teapos were ~820uF / 2.1 Ohm ESR on my meter and the replacement Panasonic FR's are ~980uF / 0.02 Ohm.
    Hopefully it will live at least 5 more years.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Viperel; 12-01-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X