Sonos Play 1 no power repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos Play 1 no power repair

A small thread from me - got a Sonos Play 1 exhibiting no power.

Opened it up expecting to find the primary side damaged by a power surge or similar, but it was all fine.

I found a short on the 24vdc side. I recalled watching a video by bigclivedotcom about him fixing Nest heat links with a similar issue and checked out diode D302 above the transformer. Upon removal of the diode - no more short!

Replaced with some ordered from RS it's alive again!
    Attached Files

Re: Sonos Play 1 no power repair

Thanks for sharing! Great pics btw

Comment

Re: Sonos Play 1 no power repair

I had the same problem, and applied the same fix. Thanks so much for sharing.

Some notes:

Be careful of the big 400v cap on the power supply input. It discharges very slowly even when the power supply is working... and if the power supply is broken it stays charged for literally days. Use a resistor to discharge before working.

Main symptom of this particular fault is that there is a dead short on the 24v side -- easily measured in the two 35v output capacitors.

As far as I could make out from the part number the diode is a 200V 3A schottky diode. I was not conveniently able to get a replacement in a SMT package so I just bent the legs of a SR3200

Comment

Working...
      X