Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot air station - 858D opinions?

Hello guys!

I would like to ask your opinion on the hot air station Atten 858D or even 868D (there are many other producers of this very same product like W.E.R and so on).

Rough specifics:
    Power consumption: 700W
    Airflow: 120L/m (max)
    Temperature range: 100-450 celsius

I would want to remove and resolder the RAM BGA chips of a graphics card and I was wondering if it is plausible with a 858D (or 868D) or not? I have heard others say, that for a RAM sized BGA it is better to use a stronger hot air station, but I was wondering if it possible to remove and resolder it with the 858D or is it just not capable of doing such a thing?

At this point it is uncertain how often I would use it, so I do not want to invest into a more advanced and expensive station if I can get away, with a cheaper station initially.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Re: Hot air station - 858D opinions?

The wide size preheater will help desoldering.

Comment

it's ok if you get a decent version ("original design") of 858d. also you will need preheater.

Comment

i dont know about pre-heaters, but an 858d alone will not safely remove bga.
        i'v tried harvesting used memory from old phones and you would have more luck with a cigarette lighter!!

good for heat shrink and for sop / tsop and plcc etc, but not hidden connectons like bga

Comment

You can get lucky or not. I have used this for pull/reball/install many chips like RAM, small BGA, etc. Of course, not for medium-large style BGA, use a rework machine for that.

My friend got one that barely melts solder.

So seems it's hit or miss.

Kind Regards,
          Josh

Comment

your friend should check if he has a 110 or 220v heater in it then - you never know, he may have a 220v model

Comment

My 110V 858D+ came with a 220V heater. So you get about 200W only. It actually works OK on the usual smaller SMT but I would say heat is not enough for big stuff.
              220V heater is 805W at 240VAC, 71.6 ohms
              110V heater is 727W at 120VAC, 19.8 ohms

Comment

Working...
              X