Dell Precision 690 PSU N750P-00 won't turn on when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Precision 690 PSU N750P-00 won't turn on when hot

Hi, this one's been driving me mad for a long time so I give up and finally ask for some ideas here…

PSU from Dell Precision 690. Turns on fine when cold. You can stress-test it for a day and it'll keep running fine. But when it's hot it won't turn on.
    I think I narrowed down the problem to the PFC area (first & last pics), when I heat there with the hot air station it won't turn on. I'm however not able to narrow down a specific component.

When heated up, the PFC still somewhat works but voltage on the main filter caps drop below 380VDC (even down to 350VDC) and it won't turn on, if you let it cool down, voltage increase and when it's above 380VDC you can turn it on again. It may be a consequence, it may be cause, it may be a coincidence, not sure.

The VREF pin on the PFC controller (ICE1PCS01, in blue) always stays close to 5V, so at least it thinks it's regulating correctly.
    To that VREF pin is connected the voltage divider from the output (3x750k top and 28k bottom apparently) as it should be, but also looks to be a pretty complex circuitry with some diodes, an LM393 (in red), a transistor and another IC I don't know what it is (IC4, Q0 11 markings). It's especially when heating up that area that the problem occurs. I'd say it's more sensitive near the LM393 and the diodes. I already replaced the LM393 and tried swapping the diodes so that's not it.

Of course when heated up the diode voltage drop goes a bit lower but that's expected.
    That circuit probably allows turning off the PFC when the PSU is off, but there must be something else to it, it's too complex just for a shutdown function.

Even when the transistor (NPN) is removed it doesn't work when warm.

I pulled the diode in yellow and it seems to be working even when warmed up now. Of course the diode is not the problem (tried to replace it with schottky 1N5819 since it measured 0.19V drop) and I have no idea what is actually the problem. I don't really feel confident using this PSU with a random diode removed… Even with this diode removed the PFC seems inactive when the PSU is off (around 315VDC) and active when on (around 385VDC).

Thinking it could be a solder joint issue I reflowed the area, but no luck.
    Attached Files
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Re: Dell Precision 690 PSU N750P-00 won't turn on when hot

In the last photo D5 looks cracked, but maybe it is just an optical illusion?
    My bet would have been on the LM393 comparator, but as you replaced it already that is ruled out.
    What I would do now is use freeze spray in tandem with hot air: that way you can narrow down the area with better precision.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

D5 is fine, it measured right on the DMM (0.6V one way, O.L. the other). I tried it swap it with another diode and it didn't change anything anyway.

I don't have freeze spray (or even compressed air can), but I don't really think it would help anyway. I'm starting to think it's not necessarily a single component reacting to heat, but rather heat changing the characteristics of the circuit (like diodes forward voltage) and affecting something else.

For now I put it back together without the diode in yellow, ran a stress-test overnight and everything is working properly, I could turn it off/turn it back on immediately. Btw it pulls 410W under stress…
      It seems to be working perfectly fine with the diode removed so I'm tempted to leave it like that…
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Mr. piernov,
        tihis problem reminded me of so called "the perfect fault" shown in this video.
        Perhaps this is completely unrelated to this particular problem, but still worth watching (at least for beginner).

Comment

Originally posted by Askic View Post
          Mr. piernov,
          tihis problem reminded me of so called "the perfect fault" shown in this video.
          Perhaps this is completely unrelated to this particular problem, but still worth watching (at least for beginner).
          Yes he thought he was on the right track but apparently not but he was only partly right

Here is the video when he really figures out what was wrong with the power supply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwh-MjLuggQ
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
          X