Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Wow, that design with the heat sink covering those caps (and the devices screwed to both sides) really sucks.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
      Wow, that design with the heat sink covering those caps (and the devices screwed to both sides) really sucks.
      Yeah, they cover two birds with one stone. The design makes for an early failure, particularly with low quality caps. And it makes it almost impossible to repair. You have to remove the solder from the component legs (difficult) and from the heat sink (really tough).

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I don't have anyone better at soldering to help me with this so I took retiredcaps suggestion and bent the heat sink. I am worried I may have cracked something loose while doing so, but I can't see any damage. I got the cap out and took out the caps on the other board. I followed PlainBill's advice (thank you!) on the other thread for ordering from DigiKey and have the following in my basket.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10230-ND (1)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10294-ND (2)

I measured the size and these two match pretty well, if not exactly. Thanks everyone for your help, I'm going to double check the parts and then make the order!

I've also attached pics of the boards after removal, so if any of you experts see any damage or problems please let me know
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Renesis13 View Post
          I am worried I may have cracked something loose while doing so, but I can't see any damage.

I've also attached pics of the boards after removal, so if any of you experts see any damage or problems please let me know
          You might want to reflow or resolder the transistors attached to that heat skink after you have bent the heat sink back in place. Moving the heat sink around may have cause the solder on the transistors pins to move around?

Also, you may have used a bit too much heat on the bottom hole pad. The pad seems burnt off? I usually add a little bit of solder to whatever I'm desoldering first. It makes the old solder melt better without using a lot of heat.

Good job on the jailbreak cap! :-)

edit: BTW, you have clear access to at least 3 other caps. You may want to think about replacing those as well. I know I said to replace just the bulging one, but I didn't know beforehand that the jailbreak would expose access to the other ones.
          Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            You might want to reflow or resolder the transistors attached to that heat skink after you have bent the heat sink back in place. Moving the heat sink around may have cause the solder on the transistors pins to move around?

Also, you may have used a bit too much heat on the bottom hole pad. The pad seems burnt off? I usually add a little bit of solder to whatever I'm desoldering first. It makes the old solder melt better without using a lot of heat.

Good job on the jailbreak cap! :-)

edit: BTW, you have clear access to at least 3 other caps. You may want to think about replacing those as well. I know I said to replace just the bulging one, but I didn't know beforehand that the jailbreak would expose access to the other ones.
            Well the story on the big cap is - I don't have a great soldering iron and I ended up with a mix of heating it, and having to wiggle it loose and then chip off the solder. I may have broken off whatever was there before... What can I do to fix it if it's "burnt off" or broken off as you say? I don't know much about circuit connections.

There are a total of 6 more caps under there, of what looks like 4 different types. I could replace them but I'm worried about the resulting amateur soldering being a greater liability than a poorly made original capacitor.

[Edit] I'll also do as you suggest with the transistors once I've got the heat sink bent back down and putting it all back together.

Comment

What can I do to fix it if it's "burnt off" or broken off as you say? I don't know much about circuit connections.

I could replace them but I'm worried about the resulting amateur soldering being a greater liability than a poorly made original capacitor.
              I don't have the skills to fix a burnt off solder pad, but I have read somewhere about attaching new ones, but it is a lot of work. Search for "install new solder pad".

Having said that, I think you should be okay installing the new cap. Just get enough solder on that bottom hole to hold it in place.

The key to desoldering, I find, is to add a little bit of 60/40 rosin core solder. I add just enough to cover whatever I'm desoldering. Then I use my desolder pump and suck it up. It leaves the solder pad in place and all the solder is easily removed.

If you have some junk boards, you can practice the above.

My soldering iron is your typical 40W ebay sort by lowest price special. One day, I might get a Weller or Hakko.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I don't have the skills to fix a burnt off solder pad, but I have read somewhere about attaching new ones, but it is a lot of work. Search for "install new solder pad".

Having said that, I think you should be okay installing the new cap. Just get enough solder on that bottom hole to hold it in place.
                I found this quote on desoldering:

Occasionally, you may damage a solder pad in your efforts. Usually, this just involves lifting the pad from the board, but not actually separating the traces. If this is the case, then it should be fine if you just leave it. If this is not the case and you actually break the trace, you will need to use a small piece of wire to connect the pad to where it is supposed to go. Just follow the trace until you find a suitable location for soldering. Usually, this is the next closest solder joint. Then, jumper the wire between the two points.
                Except, I'm not sure exactly how to identify pads and traces. I couldn't identify anything directly connected to the solder joint for the cap I removed.

My soldering iron is your typical 40W ebay sort by lowest price special. One day, I might get a Weller or Hakko.
                I may not have had enough heat. My soldering iron is, I believe, the 15w Radio Shack special (believe it or not actually recommended for xbox mod chips because of the lower heat).

Comment

I
                  Except, I'm not sure exactly how to identify pads and traces.
                  From the pic, it looks like you just lifted the pad and it is gone. The traces are underneath the green and you would have to sand it off to expose them.

Don't worry too much. I have lifted a few solder pads when I first started soldering and managed to get them working.

I may not have had enough heat. My soldering iron is, I believe, the 15w Radio Shack special (believe it or not actually recommended for xbox mod chips because of the lower heat).
                  I'm not a solder iron expert, but I believe 15W is fine IF your tip is clean and somewhat large. 15W may be insufficient for RoHS lead free boards though?
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

From the pic, it looks like you just lifted the pad and it is gone. The traces are underneath the green and you would have to sand it off to expose them.
                    So just to be clear, the pad is actually gone but just soldering the new capacitor on there should (hopefully) work without doing anything special?

Comment

I feel a need to find whoever designed this board and .... you fill in the blank!!
                      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                        I feel a need to find whoever designed this board and .... you fill in the blank!!
                        Yeah they designed it like some kind of puzzle you'd find at the Sharper Image...

Comment

So just to be clear, the pad is actually gone but just soldering the new capacitor on there should (hopefully) work without doing anything special?
                          Yes.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So, I'm a little bit embarrassed to even post these photos, so you'll just have to realize that I suck at soldering.

I got the caps in the mail today and began the repair job. The one that had the pad ripped off was much more difficult because the solder wouldn't stick down. While I was trying to get it, the soldering iron touched some of the metal channels next to it (in the pictures you can see what a mess it made). Can anyone tell me the purpose of those metal channels? I assumed that they are not all separate, electrically, because you can see the channel underneath surrounding several of them.

Anyway, I got the soldering done on that cap and the other caps, and put the board back in. The monitor turned on fine! Then I put some of the back panels back on and tried it again. This time, it had the same problem as before. Buzzing, then sizzling out to nothing. I was worried that it was another part, but after inspecting everything again and not finding anything, I decided I may have knocked the cap loose and so I resoldered it. This time, it worked again, and stayed working.

You can see that I left solder across 2 of the channels, but it looks like they are part of the same electrical circuit. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

I got the monitor assembled back together and everything seems to be working great. $5 in parts and it's back to life! Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially retiredcaps, there is no way I could have got it working without this forum.
                            Attached Files

Comment

So, I'm a little bit embarrassed to even post these photos, so you'll just have to realize that I suck at soldering.
                              Practice really does make you better. My first couple of soldering jobs looks like yours.

You can see that I left solder across 2 of the channels, but it looks like they are part of the same electrical circuit. Does anyone think this will be a problem?
                              It should be okay. If you remelt the solder and use a solder wick or desolder pump, it should get all removed.

$5 in parts and it's back to life!
                              Great feeling isn't it. $5 saves a 24 inch monitor.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello All,
                                I too have a Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD, it whistled for about a week and now the screen is black. The suspect capacitor is with bulging cap is a CapXon 2200uf 10v.
                                Per advice on this thread I plan to replace all capacitors that are under the heat shield (pictured in Renesis13's post) but I'm having a hard time finding a 1500uf 16v .394 x .827
                                from Digi-Key. Any advice will be appreciated.

Comment

take a look at Mouser....sometimes different supply than Digikey.

Comment

Hi everyone! I too have a Westinghouse L2410NM 24" and the back light has begun turning on and off intermittently. I can also hear a high pitched whine from the power supply, but I cannot see any obviously bad capacitors. I suspect that there is a heat issue since running it with the back off seems to have eliminated the problem. Using an infrared thermometer shows temperatures in the power supply at 50-60C. The whine appears to be coming from near the transformer.

Should I just replace all of the capacitors in the power supply as a precaution? I can supply photos if it would help, the design is slightly different than the version shown here with fewer capacitors under a solid voltage regulator heat sink. Should I replace the ones on the inverter board as well? Again, I don't see any bulging and I can't hear any whine from these capacitors.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by JoseJX View Post
                                      The whine appears to be coming from near the transformer.

Should I just replace all of the capacitors in the power supply as a precaution? I can supply photos if it would help
                                      Yes, please provide clear focused pictures using the managed attachments button. Please do not post inline.

Please list the brand of capacitors in your lcd.

Check your solder joints on the backside.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here are the requested photos, if you need closer or higher resolution photos, I'd be happy to oblige. There are two other capacitors on the inverter board, but they appear the same as the photo provided here.

The brown capacitors appear to be Chemi-Con (the empty rectangle logo). I don't know the brand of the capacitors on the inverter board.

Thanks again for your help.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by JoseJX; 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseJX View Post
                                          Here are the requested photos, if you need closer or higher resolution photos, I'd be happy to oblige.
                                          1) We prefer photos in this format. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

2) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

3) Can you remove the heat shields as well so we can see the caps below?
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X