Help me understand Mom-On-Off switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me understand Mom-On-Off switches

I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing information more specific to Mom-On-Off Switches. I am replacing an old Leon-201 in my magnifying lamp, which is a push-button for starting the ring fluorescent light.

Obviously, this would require the "ON" state to be continuously active even during the "MOM" state, but I can't derive whether this is the case from my reading on the net. It seems logical as I can't imagine any practical use for a switch whose "ON" state would go inactive during "MOM" state, but that's likely a lack of experience.

In any case, may I use any Mom-On-Off switch or do I need a special switch? (This is really to just have a tidier solution than the one on YouTube, where a separate Rocker switch was used for ON, and a momentary used for striking the bulb)

Jay
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Re: Help me understand Mom-On-Off switches

In the old days fluorescent lamps did not have self/automatic starters and would have two buttons - one NO and one NC, otherwise the fluorescent bulb would be "on" all the time but not lit because it wasn't struck. The NO switch would only initiate the strike.

Having the strike(MOM)-on-off probably just gives you peace of mind the lamp was completely off during the 'off' state versus just NC off to extinguish the lamp.

For me after years of using them I despise them and only want to use automatic starting lamps... I even dislike starter tube style magnetically ballasted fluorescent lamps, I can only take electronic ballast lamps nowadays.

Comment

Working...
    X