Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVM circuits

Unforunately I damaged one of my DVM,s when working on some power supplies
    measuring some high voltages ,because there was some rf on the dc I was measuring.
    It still works but is noisey and it will not measure diodes, I would like to fix it if possible.
    Does any one have any circuits for DVM,s

thanks

Barry Wilkins

Re: DVM circuits

There's lots of DVM schematics out there, if you have a make/model or pictures of the board it can help figure out the DVM chip used and what parts might be damaged.

Usually a low cost DVM overloaded (by voltage) will damage its input protection clamp diodes, so you always get a low reading on ohms or diode test, when no leads are connected. Just speaking generally.

Comment

Hi attached some pictures cant see any makers name on it .Fixed the noise problem by cleaning the switch ,just seems a problem trying to measures diodes ,very low voltage applied to the device .
      There are two op amps ,dual and a quad .
      Could it be a problem with the LM324 ?
      Bought a new one from Amazon that had 1000 V on it ,was rubbish didnt have any sockets fitted for the transistors, so it returned it.
      Got a different one which is better.

Barry
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by barry wilkins View Post
        Bought a new one from Amazon that had 1000 V on it ,was rubbish didnt have any sockets fitted for the transistors, so it returned it.

Barry
        lol
        there is a running joke that any meter with a transistor (HFE) socket on the front is junk aimed at hobbyists.

Comment

The PC board is "MX-480D-B" but no hits.
          I don't see the usual two-transistor clamp or a PTC thermistor. Low cost DMM's sometimes have missing protection circuits and they easily die.
          I would (using another multimeter) test the six black diodes. Otherwise, all that remain are the LM324 and the big IC.

hFE socket is also supported by the ANENG/Dreamtech chips, is in DT830 and even Harbor Freight freebies. I don't mind it.

Comment

It is likely a Maxcom MX480 multimeter, or copy. There is a blue PTC1 located close to the board number
            Last edited by R_J; 01-22-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like a dt890 to me, there are a few versions A B C D E F.

Comment

Hi thanks to all of you for the info ,I will look at it in a few days .
                Not too bothered about fixing it as I have quite a few other meters
                1 I keep my car 1 in my tool box 1 in my caravan, 3 in my little workshop , a TEK scope and a Hantek scopemeter.

regards

Barry

Comment

I could see there was something wrong around the TL 062 opamp ,so I removed it and replaced it with an 072 ,replaced the diodes and capcitors at the same time. A bit more investigation found R 36 was O/C.

Barry
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X