HP Elitebook 8460p wont boot into bios screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elitebook 8460p wont boot into bios screen

Hi All - I have an HP Elitebook 8460p which failed during a bios update.

The Motherboard No. is 6050A2398701-MB-A02 HSTNN-190C (UMA variant)

The bios chip is a Winbond W25Q64FVSIG

All I get at power on is a black screen and the corrupted bios signal (2 flashes of the Caps & Num lock LEDs). I've tried flashing the various bios dumps (from this website) to the Bios IC both in circuit and out but the problem stays the same as described.
    Can anyone give any pointers for next steps - am I fighting encryption keys stored on board the mobo, TPM etc?
    I noticed that the checksum changes for the on chip bios file after a failed boot - is it being written to by the mobo and invalidated or is it a sign of a failing bios ic?

Really appreciate any help

Re: HP Elitebook 8460p wont boot into bios screen

how did you flash the bios ? did you dissemble the laptop & flash with the special BIOS tool ?

Comment

Hi - I used the Rayer SPI / parallel port wiring for all flashes both on and off board. I used both flashrom and the SPIPGM programs in a linux environment

Comment

Originally posted by ReeferMadness View Post
        Hi - I used the Rayer SPI / parallel port wiring for all flashes both on and off board. I used both flashrom and the SPIPGM programs in a linux environment
        buy a bios programmer with the socket or the clip from eBay UK or Chine CH341A EZP2019 request a clean BIOS on the bios section your method of flashing bios not recommend

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I'll get a proper programmer. Can a corrupt bios stop the laptop booting as I have experienced or would you expect (at the minimum) to be able to boot with errors coming up?

Comment

Originally posted by ReeferMadness View Post
            Thanks for the advice - I'll get a proper programmer. Can a corrupt bios stop the laptop booting as I have experienced or would you expect (at the minimum) to be able to boot with errors coming up?
            Yep most of the time when bios is corrupt computer will not respond to the PWRBTWN dead in condition but sometimes boots with no image

Comment

Late (very!) update for anyone who also has this problem with 8460p. For me (as advised by techtiger) I got it resolved by using a proper programmer (Ch341a - which I modded for compatibility with the 8460p bios IC which uses 3V i/o).
              I removed bios chip from mobo (dont know if its just me but in circuit programming was unreliable).
              Next I programmed a full bios image to the bios IC with CH341a.
              Refitted bios chip to mobo and it booted!
              Many thanks for advice and good luck if anyone needs to do the same!

Comment

Working...
              X