Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help figure out burnt up resister values after fireworks(:

Hello all
    fun times here tinking with the electronics.

Minifridge PSU blew up. i replaced a diode bridge rectifier and one mosfet that was shorted. a blown fuse and the varistor.
    ( yes i know i should have replaced both mosfets. Im learning)
    i didnt really find anything else wrong so i plugged in and got some high pitch sounds and after 5 secs fireworks went off.
    Two resistors fried.
    trying to figure out the values of them. No way to tell but hoping someone can give me a general safe bet based on knowledge of switching PSU's.

ive also found a 4.7cap measuring only 2.3uf, shorted zener diode and out of spec 10ohm(i think) resistor attached to that rail.
    The other diodes in teh area are measuring OK

See picture. ive circles all the components red.
    please let me know what you think happened and what the values could be. and anything else to check.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Help figure out burnt up resister values after fireworks(:

So what are the markings on the Mosfet? Specifically the one with the burnt resistors. If the Mosfet is shorted to the gate, you also have to look at the whole gate drive circuit!

Comment

Base and collector shorted on the fet
      pins 1 &2
      the diodes in the bridge rectifier are testing fine, caps look ok.
      im afraid the resistors in there might be fried. i have to pull them to test.
      not getting a proper reading.

Comment

They were two 150k resistors. tested good

Comment

I’ve had good luck cutting burnt resistors in half that are open and then doubling the resistance of whatever I can test ��
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

well as is, one measured 375ohm and the other 2.4kohm
            i cut the 2.4ohm in half not really sure how to test now lol

Comment

The resistors have location numbers, which are you looking for? ie: R04 = 10Ω, D10 should be the same as D12 (1N4148)
              R36 2.7K, Can you read any of the colors on R35? R35 could be 2Ω
              Last edited by R_J; 03-08-2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                The resistors have location numbers, which are you looking for? ie: R04 = 10Ω, D10 should be the same as D12 (1N4148)
                R36 2.7K, Can you read any of the colors on R35? R35 could be 2Ω
                R35 & R36 are the burnt ones.
                Was unable to read anything, the whole outer was burnt away
                How did you know that was D12's part number???

Comment

Here is a better photo, you can see. https://4chanarchives.com/board/diy/thread/931526
                  https://i.imgur.com/pjvEuZ5.jpg

Comment

D12's number is clear in your picture. Check this thread, it may help https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=cd-110

Comment

wow thanks alot
                      ill see what parts i can scavenge and let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                        I've had good luck cutting burnt resistors in half that are open and then doubling the resistance of whatever I can test ��
                        Interesting idea… I got to try that! Thanks buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                          Interesting idea… I got to try that! Thanks buddy!
                          It's worked for me lots of times haha, nothing I've done this too yet when I've been stuck has blown up major
                          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

how much amp fuse should i put in there?
                            i pulled out a 3A but i may have replaced it wrong the first time.
                            i have 3A and 15A in stock.

I was able to scavenge the 10ohm resister and teh zener diode.
                            i have the extra mosfets left over from last time. (in case i failed the first)
                            Just need to get the burnt resistors. May have to just order them.

Comment

Originally posted by sdinelli View Post
                              how much amp fuse should i put in there?
                              i pulled out a 3A but i may have replaced it wrong the first time.
                              i have 3A and 15A in stock.
                              3A should do the trick.
                              Just make sure to use a series incandescent bulb in series with the PSU after you have replaced all of the parts and are ready to test it. Like this:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=70
                              This should prevent you from blowing fuses and other parts again if the PSU still has issues.

Just one note about the above circuit: you cannot test the PSU with any load. In some cases, a 40-60W bulb may be inadequate to make the PSU start up. In such cases, you might have to go up to 100W... which can be hard find nowadays, due to incandescent bulbs being phased out. But 40W appliance / "decorative" incandescent bulbs can still be found in most hardware stores. If that's all you have, you can parallel 2-3 40W bulbs (which would be equivalent to a 80W or 120W bulb.)

Comment

Hello everyone,
                                i just wanted to say thank you for all your help.
                                i ended up replacing the two Fets, two burnt up resistors, a diode, capacitor and
                                IT WORKS!

I first tested with the light bulb contraption. got nervous because it was making a whine. but bulb didnt light up. so i measured voltage and was getting all of them so i connected it normally and success... been working all week.

THANKS!

Comment

Good work
                                  One more item that does not end up in a landfill
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sdinelli View Post
                                    IT WORKS!

I first tested with the light bulb contraption. got nervous because it was making a whine. but bulb didnt light up. so i measured voltage and was getting all of them so i connected it normally and success... been working all week.

THANKS!
                                    Sometimes you have to use a higher wattage light bulb for it work more like it would plugged directly into the wall

Here is a post where I used the light bulb contraption ( instead of the fuse ) to troubleshoot a machine that was blowing fuses starting on post #9

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=sam_sam_sam

I use this light bulb contraption when I have a device that has blown fuse in it so I can see how bright the light bulb is so I know just how much of a possible short it might have
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-19-2022, 05:30 AM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                    X