Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung ue55nu7096u - no backlight - faulty LEDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung ue55nu7096u - no backlight - faulty LEDs?

If you want to repair TVs, you need to buy a LED tester. 80% of all problems I encounter with LED TVs are bad backlights and the first suspect if the TV turns on with single or repeating flash of backlights, no backlights, dim backlights, dark spots or areas. With a LED tester, you can power the strips through the connector to easily determine if a string has an open circuit. With shorts, you have to guesstimate the voltage based on the number of LEDs but can compare the voltage with the other string. With models with known backlight issues, I typically don't test and just order new strips. However with a LED tester, you can light up one string, turn on the TV and check the panel for damage.

The only way to confirm the part number of new strips is to take the TV apart but having the TV disassembled waiting for new strips makes it more susceptible to being damaged and you may also forget how it goes together. In order to determine the correct strips beforehand requires some googling and research online. I check both Shopjimmy and ebay for part numbers but usually purchase from Aliexpress. The panel number sticker at the back of the panel is one way to confirm your strips are correct if you can find a reference. Two models I had issues with is LG 50LN5310 with two panel types and two different styles of strips and LG 49UJ6500. Shopjimmy indicated only a single panel type with 3 rows of strips and mine had two rows of strips and different panel.

For the NU series, it appears there is only one panel type (typical for edge lits) and two strips at the bottom. You can see if all the listings have the same number of LEDS and same length to determine if there is only one type of strip.
    Last edited by neilc6; 04-09-2022, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. If I keep coming across broken TVs I'll consider one of those.

I'm mostly concerned about dust if I have it disassembled and then waiting a month for the parts. Seems like it could become a problem...

So, look up the product series and see if there's any variance in the replacements. And look at the panel stickers if all else fails. Got it.

While this panel had multiple stickers (barcodes, QR-codes) with multiple numbers of unclear purpose (and origin), there was also "Y18 Q7F-55" / NU8000 / NU7100 CHASSIS-REAR" stamped into the metal on the back of the panel, although that should reasonably only indicate what specific metal part it is... Yeah, tricky. I understand there's no substitute for opening it up in the general case then.

I think it's time to try this out now.

Comment

The panel assembly part number should be on a sticker behind the back cover. The screen size should be embedded in it same as model number. From Shopjimmy, possible panel numbers are CY-CN055HGLV2H CY-NN055HGHV6H CY-NN055HGLV6H

Comment

Thanks! I'll take a look shopjimmy and see if I can end up with the same info as you've given me here.

Comment

Ok, the actual panel number is CY-NN055HGLVCH which leads me to https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...strips-bars-2/ in a search, but the page doesn't actually contain that panel number.

Had I better open it now or not, that is the question...

Comment

These NU series all use the same 2 strip leds. I've replace roughly 10 of them and there always the same as the ones linked by Lotas.

Honestly though you better open it up though because a lot of these nu series TVs have cracked plexiglass from the heat of these leds sitting right on them. There's a few threads on here about this topic

Honestly the NU SERIES Are the worst tv Samsung has made.

Comment

I wouldn't resell one of these nu series tvs, having knowledge of what a big fire hazard they are, a little money isn't worth a life or a house. I wouldn't use one either in their current configuration(without modification) Hate that burnt plastic smell, yep these tvs are pure junk.

Comment

Yeah I saw the pictures. Shocking design! But I find it morbidly fascinating (I probably wouldn't if I had bought one myself) — is there no decent airflow or heat sinking? Was it a deliberate experiment? Did they skip a step in the design process?

Then I asked myself how they could possibly be modded to not overheat.. It's not like my repair has to be conventional :-) I do it for fun and interest after all, and the workpieces usually don't cost me anything except an occasional sore back.

Okay, I'll open this thing and look inside if they're that bad.

Comment

There's one video with the same problem, lots of people with same issue in the comments, haven't had one of these fortunately. Thinking that after getting the burnt part off, maybe it could be treated with something that would make it less prone to burn, whatever would be used would probably need to dry clear or light if it dried dark it might show thru adversely. I would not set the backlights to more than maybe 50 percent after fixing to try to keep things from burning again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSb7i6AeLHk

Comment

Repair successful.

The plexiglass was as good as flawless. Minor deformities only. Aliexpress was super cheap, but took 30 days to arrive.

The old individual LEDs behaved pretty oddly. One would light up when I powered two of them in series with a 5V USB power bank, so one was apparently conducting but not lighting up. Just weird behavior from more than one of them, giving the impression that more than one were bad on a single strip. Maybe not a good way of testing...

This page listed my exact model along with corresponding spare parts, something I was not able to find anywhere else: https://www.zandparts.com — might help someone in the future.

Not sure if thread titles should reflect whether the thread is "solved".
                      Last edited by ohren; 05-20-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

And of course thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread

Comment

Working...
                        X