Synology DS415+ Cr1220 holder problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synology DS415+ Cr1220 holder problem

I bought a Synology DS415+ online non working and when I plugged a new power supply in and held the power button for a few seconds the machine began booting up.
    After a few minutes later the blue light is still flashing, so I shut it down and opened it up to get to the motherboard as I was going to do the solder fix for the bios clock, but I quickly realised it had already been done (poorly) but even worse was when I realised the bios cr1220 battery and holder was not on the motherboard and wasn’t in the case.

I have attached 6 pictures, picture 1 & 2 is of new motherboard which is perfect condition, pic 3 is of how I received it and pic 4 is of me removing the solder and pic 5 is as far as I went in clean up for now.

I managed to clean up most of the solder mess and now wondering which way I should proceed as the only thing I can think of is try to replace the battery holder on the motherboard

I’m not sure of if it needs a specific cr1220 battery holder or do I go with a 3V CR1220 Lithium Coin Cell Battery with Leads. (pic 6)
    I would prefer the hard plastic ideally, also there are 2 small holes in centre where the holder sits over the motherboard, does anyone know if they are universal fit?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 04-03-2023, 08:18 AM.

Re: Synology DS415+ Cr1220 holder problem

It just needs a cr1220 connecting, aesthetics are up to you. No they are not standard. As long as the terminals line up, I cut and glue to make battery holders fit.

Comment

I have ordered a couple of cr1220 holders see attached pic, what I didn't do is check properly as the holes underneath look correct but the copper clips don't line up on the motherboard.
      So what I can do is get rid of the 2 plastic clips and sit on the board aligned to the copper contacts on the motherboard, then solder over both parts of copper contact on board and holder itself after using glue to secure base.

I'm a bit confused as I though the live part of the holder was towards the left side, which gold clip inside the holder is on the left but, if you look at the circle for the holder I thought I could see a plus sign?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 04-04-2023, 01:07 PM.

Comment

IMO I would have gone with the wire-to-a-CR2032 off board because I don't know how strong the pads on the board after the old holder got allegedly ripped off. In any case the main problem is that the holder you have are not the original and the alignment pins are 90° off from the holes in the board. Ideally if the pads are in good shape, I'd probably sand off the plastic pins on the new holder and solder the + and - as they were on the original, but with the pins 90 degrees off you'd probably need insulation and jumpers to the right + and - pads... I don't know what's that little blob near R288, assuming it's some detritus from the old holder?

Comment

That's what I was thinking about removing the 2 bits of plastic underneath, and aligning the same way as the original, I also ordered the cr1220 with wires as a backup

The blob near R288 is a bit left over from the solder removal, I didn't want to work on the solder removal too long due to the heat, plus I didn't have parts to fix on the spot.
          Am I right in thinking the gold clip in the holder is part of the live side for the battery, and the other side is the negative?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 04-04-2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Your picture looks wrong.
            The battery housing (including its side) is (+) and the small center button is (-).
            The PC board will have a (+) marking on it to make sure a holder is not installed backwards.
            https://www.sunrom.com/p/battery-socket-for-cr1220

Unfortunately there is no standard for the pins on battery holders. I could not find the make/model of the one Synology uses.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have found a + sign on the motherboard, I have uploaded a couple of pictures and highlighted in green.
              I tried to find another suitable holder but the options seem limited and I have not many other posts about synology bios holder coming off, laptops etc yes but not many nas.
              The symptoms mimic the bios clock failure on all DS415+ models that need a 100 Ohm resistor fix, and as mentioned it has been done
              I have read the battery failure also causes the same systems or even refusing to power up.
              Attached Files

Comment

The parts finally arrived but still no sure the + sign on the motherboard indicates live, or is it for another part of motherboard

Comment

Decided to proceed with the 3v wired battery, mainly because of the offset of the other type of holder and wanted to be 100% it worked, by the time the battery dies I would have soured a replacement holder tha matches what is supposed to be on the board, this was the reason or going with cr1220 over the big brother.

Attached the CMOS to the motherboard and this time instead of a blue flashing power button and yellow led's lit up, I just got the blue light flashing, so had a quick think then decided to remove the already fitted resistor fix and solder it again myself.
                  Anyway long story short it boots up and works as it should.
                  Only issue left with it now is the power button, it isn't responsive enough and i can only power on after 3 to 5 attempts, so the touch switch is either faulty, or damaged, from previous owner (power pack is brand new)
                  I have read you can loosen the backplate of the power button and wedge something about 1mm behind it and then gently tighten the screws of the power button back on and see if this fixes it or will it need a new touch switch.

Also attached pics of the work done on the CMOS incase someone else needs I.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Had another issue with turning the machine on (1 in 5 it will turn on) so had to strip it down again thinking the power on button is damaged but it is in good condition, then had a look at the motherboard button and it looks like a part of it has snapped off see attached pics.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the motherboard, it has 8 pins and would prefer a blue led if possible.

The closest I have found is part number: PB6156RSL-4-102 (Blue led) PB6156RSL-3-102 (green)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 05-22-2023, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I’m starting to think that the button issue is down to the bios battery, as it will start but as mentioned takes a few attempts to turn on, looked over the button and it reaches.

Is it possible that the battery for the bios is not good enough for the board and takes time to function and the original battery holder is better?

Comment

did you try shorting the button contacts?
                        those type of buttons dont last forever
                        btrw they cost pennies - literally, that should tell you something.

Comment

Working...
                        X