The 2021 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Do you know what annoys me most in Win10? Lack of personalization options.
    You cant even pin programs to start menu, unless you manually create folder in the dirs of the start menu, put icons there and then pin them. So, if you have a program that is exe only, like WinBox you cant pin it there. Neither you can pin shortcut to URL like page or SMB path. You cant put shortcuts to bat files either. Nor you can pin them to quicklaunch. The new control panel is almost useless and terrible. I don't understand why you need 2 control panels. And I made shortcut to it, put it in folder, after I found where start menu items are held and then pinned it to the start menu.
    If they just remove the bug with 50% CPU, 100% HDD by Software protection, remove forced updates, privacy violations and the new control panel and leave alone the old one, Win10 can become decent OS. And Microsoft account crap. I want local account, I neither need, nor want Microsoft.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      ...And Microsoft account crap. I want local account, I neither need, nor want Microsoft.
      This. If you've ever cleanly (not an upgrade) installed W10 home on a system, if you connect it to the internet, you can't even create a local account from the installer. Its friggin' nuts....only allows a M$ login or create a M$ account....which I do neither for clients on the rare occasion I use home (depending on what they're licensed for, I'll always kick it up to Pro if I can). No M$ OS should EVER be without local accounts and a group policy editor!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I flat-out REFUSE to install 10 on any system around here. I'll kick it over to 8.1 Pro, but once that drops, it's Debian Linux. No 10 around here.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          This. If you've ever cleanly (not an upgrade) installed W10 home on a system, if you connect it to the internet, you can't even create a local account from the installer. Its friggin' nuts....only allows a M$ login or create a M$ account....which I do neither for clients on the rare occasion I use home (depending on what they're licensed for, I'll always kick it up to Pro if I can). No M$ OS should EVER be without local accounts and a group policy editor!
          I've been able to do it with internet connected. Required more hoops than a dolphin at seaworld.

That said, my personal 10 accounts are connected... because I have a dev account with them that I used to get an insider preview of 10 ages ago. No issues so far...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If you are adventurous person, you can try upgrading?
            I upgraded all of my workstations when 7 support ended. Some I did fresh installs on, some I upgraded in place. Few issues with the upgrade, other than the occasional driver bull pucky.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              I've been able to do it with internet connected. Required more hoops than a dolphin at seaworld.
              I remember reading the hoops you speak of and just found it easier to make sure the system was offline....haha
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Yep. Even with Win8.1, I pull the LAN before installing Windows and it doesn't see said LAN connection again until I'm at a desktop, ready to install drivers.
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I will just copy my reply from last years poll
                  I voted Win7.
                  And seeing how stubborn I am it will remain like that for a while I imagine
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

At least 10 is somewhat better than 8. At least there is start menu and Metro is reduced.
                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I don't agree, all 8.1 needs is a start-menu replacement like Start8 IMO.
                      To fix Windows 10 takes a whole lot more!
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                        Yup. Classicshell took care of that on 8/8.1. W8.1 brought the actual start menu button back but still had the metro interface.

W10....uhgggg....so much BS, silencing, tweaking, and swear words....
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

That's why the bay trail tablets have modded 8.1. Since they're stuck on standard, 10 can't be slimmed of bloat (without it all coming back on an update), but 8.1 can. And as light as the resources are on them (especially the x32 ones with only 1-2GB RAM and 16-32GB SSD storage), to be useful they need debloated.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            That's why the bay trail tablets have modded 8.1. Since they're stuck on standard, 10 can't be slimmed of bloat (without it all coming back on an update), but 8.1 can. And as light as the resources are on them (especially the x32 ones with only 1-2GB RAM and 16-32GB SSD storage), to be useful they need debloated.
                            Who modded it>? The manufacturer of the tablet or M$; perhaps an 'unofficial' embedded edition of 8.1? The 8.1 UI with a few tweaks is actually very nice.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Windows 98 with usb 2.0 support!��

Comment

I don't agree, all 8.1 needs is a start-menu replacement like Start8 IMO.To fix Windows 10 takes a whole lot more!
                                The support for Windows 8.1 is almost at it's end. And no matter what you do, most of the time if you try to do something more complex, you end up in the full screen Metro start menu. Even the fact that putting the cursor on the right edge of your screen opens again Metro menu is annoying.
                                Also, classic shell is third party software. You wouldn't use it in production environment, neither big company will use it on it's office computers.
                                Is there quiet installer? Is there MSI installer? How you will configure default options for every user?
                                Group policy integration? Deployment? No?
                                Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

The support for Windows 8.1 is almost at it's end.
                                  2023, so there's a solid 2yrs left. Same with Server 2012. Also, with the end of these two comes the end of definitions for MS security essentials, which still functions/updates on EOL Windows 7.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

2023, so there's a solid 2yrs left. Same with Server 2012. Also, with the end of these two comes the end of definitions for MS security essentials, which still functions/updates on EOL Windows 7.
                                    What I am saying is that if you use are supporting computer and network infrastructure on a mass scale or you use office computer,
                                    you have 2 options - cope with buggy 8.1 Metro without any third party apps or use Windows10.
                                    Nobody will allow you to install classic shell. Unknown third party software is serious security concern. And even if you want to do it, active directory deployment, msi install file and personalization file is unavailable. Do you think that going thru every single of 200-300 computers and installing piece of software that is security risk is what you want to do? I'm sorry, but you think small. My point of view is different, because I have to deal with more than a couple of computers.
                                    Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

What I am saying is that if you use are supporting computer and network infrastructure on a mass scale or you use office computer,
                                      you have 2 options - cope with buggy 8.1 Metro without any third party apps or use Windows10.
                                      Nobody will allow you to install classic shell. Unknown third party software is serious security concern. And even if you want to do it, active directory deployment, msi install file and personalization file is unavailable. Do you think that going thru every single of 200-300 computers and installing piece of software that is security risk is what you want to do? I'm sorry, but you think small. My point of view is different, because I have to deal with more than a couple of computers.
                                      I wasn't referring to it in a corporate environment.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I wasn't referring to it in a corporate environment.
                                        I didn't mean to offend you. But the only thing that my users are allowed is to change the desktop wallpaper. Nothing more. They are not even allowed to delete desktop icons, can just move them. So, Windows10 has better UI. Because you cant just install random stuff on multiple computers in corporate environment. Third party software fixing windows problems is hardly an option. This is why I am pissed that anything newer than Windows7 is terrible.
                                        Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I didn't mean to offend you. But the only thing that my users are allowed is to change the desktop wallpaper. Nothing more. They are not even allowed to delete desktop icons, can just move them. So, Windows10 has better UI. Because you cant just install random stuff on multiple computers in corporate environment. Third party software fixing windows problems is hardly an option. This is why I am pissed that anything newer than Windows7 is terrible.
                                          Not offended at all. We were just talking about it from two different aspects.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X