Samsung plasma PN59D7000FFXZA occasional PS resets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung plasma PN59D7000FFXZA occasional PS resets

My set has been acting up for many months now. The symptom is that the screen randomly goes black and then returns to normal several seconds later. Sometimes it goes black for a few seconds longer and then shows the Samsung startup splash screen before the program returns to the display. The issue is quite variable: sometimes it can go many tens of hours without going black; other times, it will do it 5 times in 15 minutes. The problem occurs with HDMI inputs (any port) and component video. I haven't tested composite or antenna. When using HDMI, the TV is downstream from my audio receiver/HDMI select so the sound behavior is not helpful in diagnosis.

All voltages are nominal, including Vs and Va as well as the 15V and standby and main 5V supplies.

Because it is such an intermittent problem, I devised a circuit to help isolate the issue between the main board and the power supply. Using an octal darlington driver, the circuit buffers and displays the state of the A5V (stdby), PS_ON, and VS_ON signals on LEDs. The PS_ON and VS_ON circuits include an R-C circuit to stretch out brief dropouts to aid in detection. The circuit has shown me that when the screen blanks, both the PS_ON and VS_ON go to their off states (3.3V and 0V, respectively) for the duration of the outage and seem to come back up with about the same relative timing as when powering up the set from scratch. The standby 5V remains steadily on. On occasions when the Samsung logo appears before recovering, the behavior is the same, just a little longer in duration.

This leads me to believe that the problem is in the main board. I am assuming it is supposed to hold PS_ON low when the set is on and also that VS_ON is slaved to PS_ON (either on the PS or logic boards, as it does not seem to connect to the main board). So my first question is: do you agree with my diagnosis that it's the main board?

Assuming the problem is on the main board, ideally, I'd repair the main board or have it repaired, but replacing is acceptable, too. I'm afraid that the intermittent nature of the problem will make it hard to pin down to a component. Are there any signals on the board I could similarly instrument to isolate further? I don't have a scope available, unfortunately, but can cobble together a circuit to monitor a relevant signal.

I see that the EEPROM is a common failure point in Samsung plasmas, but all the examples I've found in the forum fail hard immediately following power on, rather than being intermittent during steady viewing. Is the EEPROM actively accessed during steady-state operation or only at power-up and during state changes? If it is actively read or written in steady-state operation, I might attempt to replace it. I do have a brand new hot air soldering tool, the purchase of which I still need to justify. ;-)

Can anyone suggest other paths to pursue? I look forward to the community's suggestions.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung plasma PN59D7000FFXZA occasional PS resets

Try replacing these 3 10uf 50v capacitors on the y main.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your response, tvtimmy. What's the theory behind your suggestion? Does the the Y main affect the assertion of PS_ON?

Comment

Maybe. I know this model is well known for the 106 marked capacitors to fail. I've fixed many with this problem.

Comment

Fair enough. It's an inexpensive and simple enough thing to try. I'll give it a shot and post results later. Thanks again.

Comment

Well, I swapped out the 3 caps on the Y-Main, but doing so did not fix the problem. I still have occasional resets.

PS_ON is definitely going high (to the "off" state) momentarily when the dropouts occur, so I'm resting blame on the main board. I'm fairly certain it is in control of that signal. I have been able to elicit the failure more frequently by gently heating the main board with a heat gun, but haven't been able to isolate it to a component or even a small region of the board. It still doesn't occur frequently enough to get a clear idea. I *think* the issue is located on the upper half of the board (in it's installed orientation).

I'll reiterate a question from my original post to anyone who might know: is the EEPROM on the main board actively read or written when the TV is in steady state (just watching content)? Or is it only accessed at startup or when changing settings? The EEPROM seems to be a common culprit of startup problems and has a temperature sensitivity. If it is also accessed in steady-state operation, then it might cause flaky behavior like I'm seeing.

Even though the cap replacements didn't fix my current problem, it's probably a good thing I did the repair. All three were reading about 7.6 uf, about 25% low. One had an ESR of 43 ohms, so it was definitely doing nothing good. The caps had 15.98 VDC across them before and after the repair but measured 34.2 VAC on my ultra-cheap DMM before the swap and 0 VAC after. The DMM probably exaggerated the AC component, but it was definitely improved after the repair. So there was probably a latent problem waiting to bite me in the future. Thanks, tvtimmy, for the advice.

Comment

Well, finally solved this, at least I think so. Turns out that the cable between the power supply and main board had a loose contact on the main board end. It happened to be the wire that carries the power supply control signal from the main board (SW_P on the main board, PS_ON on the power supply). I found it while looking for a temperature sensitive component by heating with 100C air from my rework station. I was expecting to find a sensitive electronic component, but heating the connector repeatably triggered the power dropouts I'd been experiencing.

After finding the faulty connector, I was also able to reproduce the dropouts by wiggling it. It would have saved me a lot of time to have wiggled all the connectors at the outset. It's unlikely that anyone else will have the exact issue I had, but connectors are worthwhile suspects for any intermittent misbehavior. So the takeaway for others is to wiggle them all early in your troubleshooting.

I extracted the contact from the connector shell, tightened the spring clips to make firm contact, and replaced it in the shell. Neither heat nor wiggling cause dropouts any more and in the week since the repair, I have had no more dropouts while watching. I'm going to call the problem solved and hang the set back on the wall.

Comment

Working...
              X