Wireless adapter with wireless router with PC in the middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless adapter with wireless router with PC in the middle

This is a complicated project. I need to get a Linksys wrt150n to get internet from a PC that is getting internet from a USB wireless adapter that is connected to the real internet wireless router that is a Netgear N7000. This has bridging written all over it. When i have the cat5 cable connected to the PC's Gb port to the Linksys wrt150n's internet port and the usb wireless adapter is connected to the pc and connected to main SSID and I have it software bridged in XP with the local area connection. I can't get an automatic DHCP. Therefore no internet on the wrt150n. When the cat5 is connected to the internet port it windows says it can't connect with the icon moving about, but when i connect it to the router jacks it connects. Do I have to use a static IP address from the N7000 that has the DHCP from the cable modem? Windows firewall is turned off for this testing. I tried everything. Any help would be helpful.

Re: Wireless adapter with wireless router with PC in the middle

Try internet connection sharing (IP masquerading) instead.

Comment

Are you sure you need to do it that way? What is your actual goal?

One alternative might be to run DDWRT in client mode on an old router and feed the PC and the WRT150N from there via ethernet. Maybe a little sketchy, but probably better than trying to use a PC running Windows XP as a bridge.

Setting up a WLAN Repeater might also meet your needs.

Comment

Don't let the term bridging in Windows fool you either, bridging two NICs in Windows is using them together as one NIC for that machine, it doesn't create a network bridge in the same sense as a router can be used as a bridge between two LANs. To do that in Windows you must use ICS.
        Last edited by SteveNielsen; 01-10-2015, 08:53 AM.

Comment

ICS did the trick. DHCP has to be set to automatic. Even better the N7000 can have its own static IP.

Comment

Yep glad it's working for you.

Comment

I´m using Connectify for exactly the same and works very well
              http://www.connectify.me/

Comment

Working...
              X