Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Krk rp8 g2 capacitor replacement and other

Originally posted by Khron View Post
    Wait, what? Ok, they might have minimum quantities for SOME of their items but NOT ALL.

Here, i filtered the search down to 3300u and 4700u 50v caps. Minimum quantity for each is ONE.

https://www.tme.eu/hr/katalog/konden...0%3A1437210%3B

Did you even read the description to see WHAT capacitors those were? The search was sorted by ascending price. The lowest prices are, of course, for large / bulk quantities ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale ). The cheapest one on that list are, and i'm quite sure you didn't look / notice, 0.1uF, 0.22uF, 0.33uF 50V caps.

You weren't even trying...
    So sorry man didn't see that, most of the time I am on the phone and looking here via phone so I didn't specifiy sort by price like you did. Thank you once again. Price is a little bit better than on ebay when I compare it, and sure it's going to arrive way faster than from ebay. I will check it out today and order few.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-01-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

The devil's in the details...
      Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

The devil's in the details...

Yeah heh thank you once again.

Do you maybe have schematics for this board so I can see what are those caps I cant identify ?
        Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-02-2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I don't, and i'm not sure they're available anywhere.

If you really wanted to, and/or were willing to not use the speakers during the delivery of the replacement caps, you could just remove them (which you'd have to do anyway), and do a "cap map" on a piece of paper yourself.

[Later edit]

On the other hand... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=krk+schematic
          Last edited by Khron; 04-02-2019, 07:16 AM.
          Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

I only found amp shcematics for KRK RP8, but I am not into electronics that much so I don't understand correctly all the things. Like under C102 field on schematics there is caps 25V/47uF and mine in speaker is 50V/47uF...
            Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-02-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I think I manage to read them all, correct me someone if I misread

Upper board

3x 25V 100uF Low Imp.
              6x 50V 10uF

Lower board

2x 25V 100uF Low Imp.
              2x 15V 220uF they are yellow I assume they are also Low Imp.
              5x 50V 47uF
              3x 50V 10uF
              2x 50V 22uF (only not sure about those two are they the same because of gunk I can't see uF on one and V on the other one, but they look very similar... is that F50 or V50 not sure...(see picture))
              2x 50V 4700uF
              2x 35V 1000uF

Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-02-2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I'd just get 10-20 of each of the small ones (10-100uF) "to be safe", but then again, i'm the kinda guy that buys parts "for future projects too".

And those 100u/220u ones don't need to be low-ESR. At least according to the schematics, the 100u ones are on the outputs of the +/-15v linear regulators, and the 220u ones are on the input & feedback of the woofer amp.

Comment

In that particular case, the voltage across those caps is "only" the voltage of the Zener diode next to them, so 15v. A 25v cap will work just as well as a 50v there; they just got a better price on the 50v ones that week.

Originally posted by Thermaltake View Post
                  I only found amp shcematics for KRK RP8, but I am not into electronics that much so I don't understand correctly all the things. Like under C102 field on schematics there is caps 25V/47uF and mine in speaker is 50V/47uF...

Comment

hehe Okay thanks for the explanation.

Still dont get it why they put low esr caps on both boards.

Comment

Like i said, they might've just gotten a better price for those at the time, than the "standard" versions. Don't worry about it

Comment

Like i said, they might've just gotten a better price for those at the time, than the "standard" versions. Don't worry about it
                        Could be I know on Power supplies and on PC motherboard (older ones) that you have to put low esr caps because they charge and discharge faster, right ? But in this case I was confused what is charging and discharging fast here
                        Last edited by Thermaltake; 04-03-2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Just to let everyone know it's well worth changing all caps. Sound is a how should I say, much healthier now, and no more buzzing from tweeter.

here are some pics.

But I ran into some problem few days ago. And I had that problem while speakers were in warranty few years ago. I was changing HF and Volume pots recently, I was playing with some stuff, and now when I put them on zero, both monitors, on one monitor sound is louder for +1. I noticed that cause vocals are not in the middle when I'm playing them, and then I put my balance pot on mixer to the right by +1 and they were in the middle as they should be after that. As I said I already got that problem before and guy in service store said that I think HF pot jumped by one notch or something and it was lower because of it, If I remember correctly.
                          And after he repair that pot, it was fine until few days ago.

What do you think, do I need new pot. or repairing that pot. would be just fine ?
                          Last edited by Thermaltake; 07-03-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

How important is to you, that all is well when all pots are at 0?

If one needs one click over to match the other side, fine, make the adjustment and be done with it :P

Pots aren't the most "precision" components at the best of times, especially these one-turn manually-actuated ones...

Comment

How important is to you, that all is well when all pots are at 0?

If one needs one click over to match the other side, fine, make the adjustment and be done with it :P

Pots aren't the most "precision" components at the best of times, especially these one-turn manually-actuated ones...
                              Well it is, because next click is on +1 and there is no more. And if I want to put both on +1, one speakers is going to be a bit louder, it's like value of pot is not same anymore. I know that this pots are shitty, I like them a bit more on G3 where there is only 4 clicks on both HF, LF and Volume. Here on Volume there are like 50 clicks or something like that, and 4 on LF. All of the sudden I'm starting to like their new LCD screen and one pot. on this new G4 revision

P.S
                              Any ideas should I replace all pots, or just that one or try to fix it ?
                              Last edited by Thermaltake; 07-03-2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Well, this might sound weird, but... y'know, measuring things might be a step forward

Going with the "shotgun approach" is rarely the best idea (imho)...

Comment

Well, this might sound weird, but... y'know, measuring things might be a step forward

Going with the "shotgun approach" is rarely the best idea (imho)...
                                  Dont have tool for measuring or time anymore unfortunately... I'll pass it to my friend to see whats going on. I'll let you know what was it.
                                  Last edited by Thermaltake; 07-03-2019, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Just to let you know. Pot was like 3 Euros so I bought it, replace it, and everything is back like is should with sound again.

Comment

Got a question about KRK G2 pots. Is this offset normal on KRK, Volume pots are on same settings, but pointer on rubber is totally off.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Have you considered pulling one off and putting it back so it matches the other one?

Pretty safe bet the pot shafts are knurled, and there's only so many grooves for the knobs to fit into...

Comment

Have you considered pulling one off and putting it back so it matches the other one?

Pretty safe bet the pot shafts are knurled, and there's only so many grooves for the knobs to fit into...
                                          Tried, if I move it one goove up it's still not alligned.

But I didn't try to change from one speaker to another hmm...
                                          Last edited by Thermaltake; 08-30-2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X