Dual or triple firewalls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual or triple firewalls?

ok the modem always has a firewall now right?
    then you have a real firewall behind that
    which goes out to your beloved unsecured wireless connection

so, how do you make them all happy and work together?
    NETWORKING!!!

anyone using 192.168.. should be shot

you can still use 192 but really why? it just makes it easier for backtrack4 to get you

oh whats that? you have a verison tower wireless modem with WEP128 encryption?
    guess that will take me about 2 hours of sitting in my car next to your house to crack with my laptop and a bootable dvd

Re: Dual or triple firewalls?

please don't shoot me! all my stuff is 192.168.1._... whoch will be (whn my move is done) a router and a LAN printer... all else is dhcp.

no problems... and the router is a netgear wireless g unit, will be replaced with a linksys wireless g +mimo unit, w/ddwrt... i had to turn securitys off because wep is useless (hacked so easily) and my computer with a wireless b card needed to connect...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Oh noes..... My 192.168.20.x network behind an enterprise class hardware firewall and monitored by a very good IDS is in danger!!!!111ONE

I'll watch my IDS logs for all you super haxors....
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

WPA2-Enterprise

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out the point of this topic.. Networking??? Uhh, if you have more then 1 computer on your home network then you are networking.. as for the the security... well, tell me, what firewall encryption is flawless and cant be cracked.. answer.. NONE!!! as for the 192.168 remark.. I see nothing wrong with it. I have a wireless network and what I do is keep the wireless 192.168. network a separate network then my main network. after all, if i am using the wireless, it is only to get on the net so no need to get to my other PCs with it. That is what the extra wired cat5 cable is for.. As for the encryption, all that does is keep the honest or stupid people off your network and gives a little privacy and less high-jacking of you connection to the net. pretty much every one here knows all this....

so as my previous remark stated.. the point of this topic is????

Comment

i don't get it. 192.168 = dhcp/nat. that in itself is enough protection.

you're incorrect, people with 10. ~ . ~ . ~ should be shot. why? that's the default setting on _apple_ routers.

but i probably can't make fun of that, i have an airport extreme, although it was free.

Comment

There are good reasons for your local LAN to use IP addresses within the private IP address space. If you assign an IP address outside these regions, it is possible for you to find certain sites on the Internet totally inaccessible due to IP address conflicts. Therefore it is strongly recommended to use one of these IP address ranges:
              10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
              172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
              192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

IP Addresses within the private IP address space are guaranteed to not be in use on the Internet and most ISP routers would be setup to immediately block traffic from these IP ranges (as they do not belong on the Internet).

By the way, there is no security advantage by using say 172.16.4.x address range over 192.168.1.x.
              Last edited by shadow; 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

i dont need a firewall, i dont leave any ports open other than the ssh and ftp servers.
                fuck the password up twice on either and your I.P. is blacklisted.

Comment

yea but as long as it is a router or something of the sort, you always have the option of resetting the device back to factory standards..

as for the IP range and internet thing.. That is soo true. I remember once when I was in school, the teacher showed us what would happen and changed the IP addy of the one PC to that of an actual site (like MSN.COM).. had nothing but problems trying to ping, get info, or pretty much do anything that used the network.. at least as long as that PC was connected to the net..

Comment

Used to love IPCop, but they havn't updated in a while. IPFire is pretty good, lots of addons as well to add to the router for extra functions. For anybody who has an older working computer laying around, you can make a really fast, and solid router.

Comment

ipcop is good, i have a 1.5ghz moble intel celeron on a slim/micro pc with a 2.5inch 3gb laptop hdisk from...1997...
                      yeah you know those "upgrade" cpu on laptops you do... what to do with the spare cpu? throw it in another handme down junk pc
                      also it has one single pci slot which i put a second 10/100 fast ethernet low profile card + the onboard
                      one in, one out
                      sure it adds .ms of latency
                      but at the speed of light who can complain when a device checks the packets and source?

i'll have to check out IPFire

i have a friend who works for a firewall company
                      hes only a marketing manager, ie: business tool
                      but they create IDS and IPS software for their enterprise firewalls

once in a temp warehouse job, summer job, i was privelaged to package into 6 boxes a total of $48,000 of cisco firewalls
                      each firewall according to the MSRB on the invoice product list was worth $4,800 each
                      i really loved working there being a gear on the warehouse floor
                      distribution sites that shipped solely buy.com, amazon, newegg, and walmart
                      you know what walmart sells site2store free shipping?
                      TONS OF COMPUTERS! and LCD screens etc

Comment

When I choose ADSL modems (for ourselves or others), I naturally prefer those with a hardware firewall (Our first ever ADSL modem had a hardware firewall).
                        The Windows firewall combined with the ADSL modem firewall would make it a double firewall.
                        Many firewalls (mainly those for SOHO use) are virtually useless against wireless intruders too.
                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by blowing_in_the_watts
                          i really loved working there being a gear on the warehouse floor
                          distribution sites that shipped solely buy.com, amazon, newegg, and walmart
                          buy.com? those fucktards who spam ebay germany with 10000s of overpriced items in the wrong categories? >.<

every f*ckin time i look for something on ebay i have to manually exclude buy_deutschland and another one of
                          those spamming f*cktards, densus_de (which is actually even worse in terms of wrong categories and overpriced items)

BTT.. i have to take a look at IPCop and IPFire (or something else) some day..
                          not really satisfied with all of the consumer grade routers i've had so far.
                          plus i've got 2 neat little low-wattage x86 based thinclients to play with
                          Last edited by Scenic; 07-16-2010, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I am extremely confused with what this thread is about. Are you making a big fuss over the remote possibility that some nerd might pull up to my house in his Prius and spend two hours trying to crack my wifi?

Comment

don't bother trying to figure it out.. his posts/threads make no sense.. -.-
                              wannabe troll..

Comment

Why would you have an unsecured wireless connection and 3 firewalls? Windows firewall seems like it lets most things connect out anyway. Home users usually get hit with malware and not local intruders.

What if someone breaks into your house and plugs into your switch. Where is your firewall then?

WEP cracking IS something I would worry about, you can generate your own traffic and crack it in like 15-20 minutes.

Comment

The original post makes little sense to be too.

My WPA encryption and Smoothwall will do me just fine thanks.

Comment

i'm only going to say this once..

pfsense
                                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                                      i'm only going to say this once..

pfsense
                                      We have one of those running in the office. There are a few deal breakers, which we're working around, but I think they'll be fixed in the next release.

Comment

Originally posted by blowing_in_the_watts
                                        ok the modem always has a firewall now right?
                                        then you have a real firewall behind that
                                        which goes out to your beloved unsecured wireless connection

so, how do you make them all happy and work together?
                                        NETWORKING!!!

anyone using 192.168.. should be shot

you can still use 192 but really why? it just makes it easier for backtrack4 to get you

oh whats that? you have a verison tower wireless modem with WEP128 encryption?
                                        guess that will take me about 2 hours of sitting in my car next to your house to crack with my laptop and a bootable dvd

you outgh to be shot! backtrack4! dude backtrack 3 did that long ago, bt4 makes it easier. hell the last release of auditor probably had all the tools to do so i think!
                                        Whats the security issue with using a class c private network, the only issue i can conceive is that you have to guess the network out of 255 choices then find your targets from the 254 hosts available, even thats a lame conception of ideas.... so whats the point i dont see one. .. take the work out of guessing and get a scanner network scanner!

i bet your using WAP2 right?!?! well guess what, yea you guessed it, like everythign else in this world, it can be broken into as well...... maybe not as fast and easily as wep128 but still.. you should get the point. besides who is going to take all the time and effort for somethign not even worth it. Now enterprises, thats a whole new topic on security. give it a year or so next edition of BT or somethign else will probably make it much easier by providing all the tools and making them work together nicely on a bootable dvd..

anyway sounds like your interested in networking, cool beans!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X