Old Belkin 54g router bottlenecking speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Belkin 54g router bottlenecking speed

My ISP upgraded my service from 30 to 60 Mbps and replaced the modem with an Arris TM822. A PC connected directly to modem gets well over 60 Mbps (actually peaked at 100) but thru the router only getting 30. Router is running DD-WRT latest firmware. The 4 LAN ports are 10/100 auto negotiation and the PCs connect at 100. I am not using the wifi on this router right now and radio is off. I don't see any place in the router settings to fiddle with LAN speed so I am left to assume this old Blekin just can't go that fast. I realize that 100Mbps is a theoretical maximum and in real use will never have that much usuable bandwidth but I'd think it could still get up to 60Mbps. Looks like I'll need a better router.

Re: Old Belkin 54g router bottlenecking speed

Ah, I see the problem. Duh, I was right on top of it all along, in my face so to speak. The modem connects direct to my PC at 1000Mb/s. The old router can only do 100. Yep, time for a router with faster eth ports.

Comment

make sure the replacement has lots of led's on it - you can never have too many led's

Comment

I like LEDs. Especially blue ones. It's my favorite color.

Comment

Everything is better with blue LEDs, apart from my Virgin Superhub...they really shouldn't use super in the name !

I can recommend the d-link DIR-615, happily runs DD-WRT, does N band, has 4 gigabit ports...and it's cheap.
          http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-615.../dp/B000QD7B6W
          Last edited by diif; 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            I can recommend the d-link DIR-615, happily runs DD-WRT, does N band, has 4 gigabit ports...and it's cheap.
            http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-615.../dp/B000QD7B6W
            The above link you provided to Amazon says

Interface Type: 4 Fast Ethernet LAN Ports (10/100)

NOT gigabit.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My mistake, I use one at home, I thought it was gig ports.
              I was given it by Virgin Media when i upgraded to the 100mbit connection, they told me it was gigabit. i don't transfer files between PCs do i wouldn't ever see the bottleneck.
              Last edited by diif; 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

DIR-635 is a 615 with dual band N and gigabit ports, decent little router, and you get 100MB/s file transfers across its switch

Comment

Working...
                X