Raidmax rx-1000ae PSU weaken - occasional reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raidmax rx-1000ae PSU weaken - occasional reset

Hi, I have my own PSU which have some problems.
    It is about Raidmax rx-1000ae, it run good on idle no problems at all never.
    But is some games it just reset PC without no rule. It can be play for 10 min and reset it can be 30 min or eaven a hour then reset PC..
    To be sure that PSU is problem I put another PSU and testing for days no problem at all.
    So PSU is weaken and in some time when system take more power it obvious put protection and PC restart.
    All voltages are OK, but PG signal is blinking and beeping so I assume that can be problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtsfxKpCS4

Can I do something in this situation does capacitor replacing wil fix the thing ?

Re: PSU weaken - occasional reset

Originally posted by Zender View Post
    Hi, I have my own PSU which have some problems.
    It is about Raidmax rx-1000ae, it run good on idle no problems at all never.
    But is some games it just reset PC without no rule. It can be play for 10 min and reset it can be 30 min or eaven a hour then reset PC..
    To be sure that PSU is problem I put another PSU and testing for days no problem at all.
    So PSU is weaken and in some time when system take more power it obvious put protection and PC restart.
    All voltages are OK, but PG signal is blinking and beeping so I assume that can be problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtsfxKpCS4

Can I do something in this situation does capacitor replacing wil fix the thing ?
    Most likely, yes. Raidmax is known to use bad caps.

If PG is dropping out only with the tester connected, either the main output filters are nearly open, or bad small caps in the control ckts are making the PGO questionable.

Another suggestion for bad caps is if it's more problematic if it's cooled down after being off a while.

If/when you recap it, do not omit the small caps.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Thanks for response.

I found that I have two big ones that are Teapo 420V and 330uf, and this series of smaller ones which are Teapo 2x 10V 3300uf and 4x 16V 3300uf. There are also smaller ones inside but I can read them well from this point since they are too small.

For start I'm planing to desolder a big ones 420V and test them with ESR meter to see condition of them.
      As I said PSU works just fine and without any problems at all only is restarting is some certain games, which other PSU that I put into same PC won't do. So there is some kind of problem with it, it is old for about 9 years.

Specs. i7 2600, rx 580 Sapphire nitro +, 12 GB of ram, 2 x HDD + 1 X SSD, couple of 120mm fans.

Any sugestion for futher research will be fine.

Comment

Me personally I would think about replacing all of the capacitors on this switching power supply especially the ones sandwiched between the the heat sinks because they are probably cooked to death also being 7 years old and these capacitors are not high quality brand name capacitors to being with
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Ok, I will desolder all caps and check with ESR meter also do a capacitance measurements with DMM.
          Beside caps do I need to check / replace anything else ?

Comment

Just so you're not chasing a false lead- remember that after desoldering, if those caps are warm when you ESR test them, you can get a false OK reading.
            Let them cool 30 min or so before testing their ESR.

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
            Originally posted by shango066
            All style and no substance.
            Originally posted by smashstuff30
            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
              Just so you're not chasing a false lead- remember that after desoldering, if those caps are warm when you ESR test them, you can get a false OK reading.
              Let them cool 30 min or so before testing their ESR.

Zender

This is very important to know if you removed them to be tested otherwise your results will not be correct

But I will add one more thing about this if your results when warm and when cold or room temperature is more than 10% consider them bad compared to a new one

I repair several devices that had capacitors that had one value when cold ( 50*F ) or room temperature and another value when warm 90*F
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-25-2022, 06:23 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Those are Teapo SC, very mediocre caps that really hate heat. 9 years of usage ... these gonna show way bumped capacity (3300uf showing 4000uf) and some might even be in the range of pF. The biggest problem is their 10mm diameter. The 12V ones should be 2200uf 16V 10mmx30mm, the 3.3V/5V ones should be 3300uf 10V and those exist in 10mmX30mm size.
                You live in Slovenia so I guess u can ask user: Behemot for cap replacements.
                Last edited by zunasthegreat; 02-26-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Guys thanks for response, I don't quit, have big problems how to get into bottom side of the board since this modular PSU are very difficult to work, for days I was thinking how to get to bottom side and finnaly tonight I manage to do it so I can do some work..

I desolder a big ones 420V and 330uf, and from what I see they are ok.

Capacitance test shows 300uf for one and 305uf for other one ( that is in tolerance )..
                  ESR meter shows this.

So from what I can see they are good, not as new ones maybe, but not so bad, usable I would say.. What you other think ?

From that I desolder 4 in a row with 16V and 3300uf.
                  They are almost perfect.
                  ESR meter and capacitance test shows.

0.005 - 3270uf
                  0.009 - 3300uf
                  0.013 - 3340uf
                  0.009 - 3140uf

From here you can see what is desoldered.

I have two ones 2x 10V 3300uf next to this 4x 16V which I desolder, and other ones are very hard to reach under heatsinks.. but they are couple of them more there..

It is very very hard to work and from this point I don't know what to do next.

Comment

That PSU looks much better than expected for Raidmax!

Albeit it's likely overrated in watts, wouldn't be surprised if the components are intended for 500W to maybe 750W.

Those caps, however, is worthy of being labeled a bronze-grade.
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-14-2022, 07:23 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Raidmax really picked up their game. I had a RX-500XT. While not a 500W unit by any means, it was a REALLY good 400W unit and had great layout. Just the main filtering needed some work as it was done by a bunch of monkeys (probably the same monkeys behind Youtube's servers)
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

This PSU was very good and I have never problems with it..
                        At least I don't have problems at all now, only in games there are occasional restart, but for about 10 years old that is ok. It was always be used in desktop PC with one graphic card, so it has work about 30-40% of it's capabilities all time, but years have done their thing..
                        If anyone have idea what to try more, please advice.

Comment

Re: Raidmax rx-1000ae PSU weaken - occasional reset

Yesterday I receive a replacement 420V caps..

I replaced Teapo with Nichicon 420V 330uf, but problem stay the same, I have bad PG signal, it is 190 and blinking sound of warnings..

In a meantime I found this : https://jestineyong.com/power-good-p...-power-supply/

Can anyone tell me where is this ''secondary side PWM IC'' in picture on my PSU ?

Comment

Did you replace the capacitors that are under the heat sinks or did you just check them
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I check all caps on board and both ESR meter and capacity test show that all of them are OK.. I just order from China and replaced this big ones..
                              I don't think caps are problem here..

Comment

Working...
                              X