need some help to limit current after repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some help to limit current after repair

ok i know its sort of a double post but also has its own merits . its something i can never work out .
    thinking of using light bulbs on the power supply outs 12v and 5v but don't know which lamps to use . i know all about limiting mains supply with light bulbs but obviously no use with switching supply .
    i have been working on a console . i did ask a few times but it seems my thread has gone cold for some reason .
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104579

Re: need some help to limit current after repair

Ideas are the same: what is the expected current, both expected average and "always safe" current. Whether you choose between one or the other depends on what condition you're trying to debug...

Comment

i don't have a clue as to what current it needs to run . i just don't want to risk fireworks when i power it up as i have replaced various shorted ic.s and a capacitor after an accidental short circuit .

Comment

Definitely tough to choose a proper limiter if you don't know what the limit should be
        Always can start low and work your way up if you think it won't roast something however, just takes more time to ensure it's not a short and just normal power consumption...

Comment

i used dim bulb tester on the mains and fuses on the secondaries . found out 500ma is enough for 5v and 12v liked more than 1 amp so used 2 amps . was a bit interesting because 500ma was fine to start with for 12v . then after i had fixed the controller ic fuck up the fuses were blowing as it was then powering up so tried bigger fuses .

Comment

Is this the thing you are working on? https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...89ae2aaa34.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
              Is this the thing you are working on? https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...89ae2aaa34.pdf
              yes but the monitor console is different . i cant find a manual for this exact model .synchro exc 700ip

Comment

You could build a current limiter using a LM317 in current mode and a heat sink on the device
                and use a wall wart power supply

If fact I have one that I use to use when charging nicad batteries back many years ago and it works very well back when Radio Shack had there 12 volt 3 amp power supply’s
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-01-2022, 03:24 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  yes but the monitor console is different . i cant find a manual for this exact model .synchro exc 700ip
                  You understand that there are three 700 models in the manual with different displays? On page 13 and 14 they have product codes that tell what machine one has. On page 15 is the serial number structure. On page 16 are the product characteristics of each model. In the Appendix 13 on page 193 is a password list.
                  In the model 700sp the sp stands for self-power brake board. I believe the model 700IP stands for Ingress Protection Code which is how much protection the case has for the electrical component. In this case it probably is IP20 listed on page 19. At little bit of a guess.
                  Last edited by keeney123; 04-01-2022, 09:01 PM.

Comment

pretty sure i looked at them all .not that it would really help too much as it doesn't go into servicing .. i have it booting up now but the touch screen isnt working and it keeps rebooting itself so must have damaged something when i did some damage to it .

Comment

pretty sure i looked at them all .not that it would really help too much as it doesn't go into servicing .. i have it booting up now but the touch screen isnt working and it keeps rebooting itself so must have damaged something when i did some damage to it .
                      It may mean it is looking for an input from the keyboard? The first thing is to identify what you have. Does it have a 16 alpha numeric product code on the machine?
                      Does it have a 14 alpha numeric serial number?

With the above numbers you will be able to tell what the machine is and you will also be able to tell the badcaps technical people what it is. On page 66 is the display being off without pedaling. This is the SP model and if the machine is not pedal then the display switches off in 30 sec. This is one example why the display may go off. SP means an alternator is generated by the person pedaling and it has a 12 battery back up.
                      Each block diagram shows the different way each model is connected. Further there is a theory of operation of each one. Just have to read them.
                      Last edited by keeney123; 04-03-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

there isnt a battery .
                        its a 700ip model will post a pic of label later

Comment

id label
                          Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by keeney123; 04-04-2022, 11:06 PM.

Comment

id label
                              This is part of a sticker showing. The other part is the D4 numbers. From this sticker we know that there is a 15 AMP fuse on the output side which is most likely DC? The 2X3 in front of the fuse is anyone guess. Mostly likely the physical size. The input of the device is between 100 to 240 AC with a maximum current of 0.85 Amps. Multiplying .85x240=204 Watts of power. One can never get more power out of something then they put into it. I believe the 240volts in AC RMS if it is not the case then the Peak to Peak voltage must be converted to RMS before the multiplication to the 0.85 of current. So we know that no matter where we go in the circuit the DC voltage will never produce more than 204 watts of power. So where there are high voltages there will be low current. Understand though that any voltage can kill a person if the resistance to ground is low enough. Is this the only sticker on this device?

I believe this is your model https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...bb22ccb277.pdf

This has the pdf for download
                              Last edited by keeney123; 04-04-2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                This is part of a sticker showing. The other part is the D4 numbers. From this sticker we know that there is a 15 AMP fuse on the output side which is most likely DC? The 2X3 in front of the fuse is anyone guess. Mostly likely the physical size. The input of the device is between 100 to 240 AC with a maximum current of 0.85 Amps. Multiplying .85x240=204 Watts of power. One can never get more power out of something then they put into it. I believe the 240volts in AC RMS if it is not the case then the Peak to Peak voltage must be converted to RMS before the multiplication to the 0.85 of current. So we know that no matter where we go in the circuit the DC voltage will never produce more than 204 watts of power. So where there are high voltages there will be low current. Understand though that any voltage can kill a person if the resistance to ground is low enough. Is this the only sticker on this device?

I believe this is your model https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...bb22ccb277.pdf

This has the pdf for download
                                might be it . will compare connector numbers .
                                Last edited by petehall347; 04-05-2022, 01:49 AM.

Comment

might be it . will compare connector numbers .
                                  Here is a reference guide.

Page 11 is 2009

Here is a 700i e Manual from England. I know you have a Ip but it may help as I think your unit is made for Europe.

Last edited by keeney123; 04-05-2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                  X