Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: resale value nosedived .

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
    this is all very true but trying to part out and sell on eBay the usual standard run-of-the-mill LCD TV you'll find that mainboards power supplies and tcon boards are usually flooded but the same boards that people are selling cheaper then what you were planning on selling for..

so if you can actually sell em and make a profit you got your hand in the bag. but what I've tried doesn't seem to happen so easily

I completely agree. I regularly question how some parts are listed for less than I could ship them for. I just don't know how anybody makes a profit like that.

Another thing that I do though, and this makes a big difference, is that I check Ebay prices (specifically completed listings) before I buy a TV. If it doesn't look like the parts are worth anything I'll pass on it. After losing money a couple times due to TAB faults I have learned to assume that a panel may be bad even if it's not cracked. Essentially, I calculate worst case scenario which would be a defective panel. If I can't part out the remaining parts and make a decent profit after expenses then I won't take the chance.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Totally agree. nowadays it seems more than ever that we could actually be purchasing a TV with a faulty panel without physically being cracked. not too worried about the plasmas it seems to be usually the LCDs and no more than ever the LED's
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I think people equate screen size with quality way too much too. If you gave 100 people a choice between a free 46" Sony Bravia or a free 50" BS TV I bet 98% would choose the BS TV just because it is bigger.

Comment

Main reason for all the junk boards is the lead free solder that fractures from heat/cool cycling. They use lead free solder to help the eco system but because of the amount of board failures due to the lead free solder it puts way too many boards in the landfill. Very counter productive!

Comment

I personally haven't come accross a board that had cracked solder joints yet. About 20 years ago I found a CRT set that had cracked joints and fixed it. Those were the leaded days still too. I haven't seen it yet in anything modern. I'm sure it happens though.

Comment

Mainly it happens on the underside of large video processors, which are typically in BGA format. Too damn unreliable.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltank View Post
                Main reason for all the junk boards is the lead free solder that fractures from heat/cool cycling. They use lead free solder to help the eco system but because of the amount of board failures due to the lead free solder it puts way too many boards in the landfill. Very counter productive!
                I was saying this on a completely unrelated Forum just the other day---

Its Not ONLY the solder that goes to make up the PCB.

That nasty Lead-free CRAP is INSIDE the chips and transistors too--Causes them to Fail too....
                TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                  You have to be realistic with your asking prices at the same time. $175 for a 40" seems about right. I would jump on it. $240 for a westinghouse 46" is spot on as well. I wouldn't hesitate to take it. The market is not what it was a year ago.

Current realistic prices around here are

32" - $100
                  40" - $150
                  42" (720p) - $150
                  42" (1080p) - $180
                  46/47" - $240
                  50" - $260

It is what it is.
                  those prices are base on TVs 3 to 5 year in age? Its no way I will sell a 42" 2013 or 2014 model for that low price. age is a factor too. I deal with store return and I try to avoid buying TV's over 3 years old from recycles places. Trying to resale a TV 3 to 5 years old can be difficult.

Comment

Most of what I deal with is 3 to 5 years old. With a few exceptions, I don't mess with anything less than a year old unless it has a good screen. Reason is that there is not much market for parts until warranties expire.

Comment

I was trying to sell some Smart TVs and LED TVs and couldn't, they were about 2 years old. They wouldn't sell for any more than about half retail price. I think part of the issue was Christmas sales are tough to compete with, will have to try again another time.
                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
                        those prices are base on TVs 3 to 5 year in age? Its no way I will sell a 42" 2013 or 2014 model for that low price. age is a factor too. I deal with store return and I try to avoid buying TV's over 3 years old from recycles places. Trying to resale a TV 3 to 5 years old can be difficult.
                        So, how do you get the newer TVs? Did you just go in and ask or do you work for the store?

Comment

I was planning on opening an electronics recycling center next year but while looking into it I learned that someone else is already doing exactly what I had planned. I may relocate to someplace else and do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                            So, how do you get the newer TVs? Did you just go in and ask or do you work for the store?
                            online liquidator,ebay and craig's list from owner who TV just dead after the warranty expire. I was doing repairs from a local recycling center, but its was a challenge selling older model TVs and sometime parts are hard to find or too expensive.

this seller on ebay "sold4parts" sell broken TVs newer model. I been lucky and I got some unit with good LCD screen for deal and at a reasonable price.

Comment

Ok so I got this 46" Sanyo, DP46841 dated Dec 2011. Turns out it's the internet ready one but I need a USB dongle. I'll get a wifi dongle for it if it's just a standard one. What should I try to get for this?

Comment

I also bought from "sold4parts" on ebay. Was a horrible experience... beware of that seller, there are a lot of buyers who received cracked screens on arrival.
                                The reason he sells with "free shipping" is to prevent anyone from getting a refund for any case since the buyer will have to spend a fortune just to ship it back...

I bought a 46" tv for $200 from him, when I received it, it had a vertical line on the screen after I repaired the power supply...

Also MOST of his positive feedback are from his own accounts (notice only the repeated names of the same repeated buyers, all with low to no feedback..) and the single buyers that buy one set receives a bad panel...

I almost bid and won this 50" LED vizio (Had a small crack on frame and main board problem) once for $100, and at the last second someone had bid it up to $300... A week later I see the same EXACT tv (with the same exact crack) relisted again... I tried again to bid the next week and the same exact thing happened! He kept bid it up the last second and relisted it! I reported him for shilling, but I'm sure it wouldn't matter...

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                  I was planning on opening an electronics recycling center next year but while looking into it I learned that someone else is already doing exactly what I had planned. I may relocate to someplace else and do it though.
                                  Yea suddenly.like 3 or 4 of these "sell me your broken flat screen" guys popped up on craigslist this year alone. Hard to compete. I know for a fact there doing what I do or stripping them down for profit.

Comment

I reported someone for shilling a couple days ago. I was trying to buy a 42" Sanyo and had been watching it for 2 days with not a single bid. I bid .99 and set the proxy bid to $10.00. 5 minutes later the bid was at $20 and when I looked at the bid history of the other bidders 1had 0 feedback but had bid on 11 items in the past month from one seller and 8 from another. Just seemed real suspicious that this bidder would be trying to buy that many items from the same seller, in many different categories, but apparently didn't win any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                      Yea suddenly.like 3 or 4 of these "sell me your broken flat screen" guys popped up on craigslist this year alone. Hard to compete. I know for a fact there doing what I do or stripping them down for profit.
                                      There's a couple others here too but for some reason they don't seem to affect my ability to get them. I mean, considering how much time and effort people put into trying to get me to pay more, I figure I must already be offering more than anyone else.

The place I was talking about here though, they have some kind of a deal with the city.

Comment

Comment

Ok so I got this 46" Sanyo, DP46841 dated Dec 2011. Turns out it's the internet ready one but I need a USB dongle. I'll get a wifi dongle for it if it's just a standard one. What should I try to get for this?
                                          about $175 to $200, brand like Sanyo, RCA, Emerson are low end brands, I try to avoid those makes, because of their low retail value. People will offer you very little cash if they are an inform shopper.

Comment

Working...
                                          X