resale value nosedived .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: resale value nosedived .

It's going to be parted out then. I have $170 invested. It actually has a really good picture. I'm pretty sure I can get $200 just for the panel.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
      It's going to be parted out then. I have $170 invested. It actually has a really good picture. I'm pretty sure I can get $200 just for the panel.
      Hey It never hurt to ask $250 or best offer for it on Craig's list. Sometime you may get lucky and get an offer for $225

Comment

I'm probably going to try that because I don't have any cardboard big enough to make a box out of.

Comment

Well, the Sanyo went for $220. I put it on CL for $250 and had a lot of inquires but after 2 days only 1 serious person inquired about it. She offered $220 and I let it go. Not a lot of profit ($50) considering the amount of time I put into it but I learned so much while troubleshooting it. It is actually the first time I have correctly diagnosed a main board (bad CPU), just couldn't find a replacement. I guess the knowledge is worth something.

Here's a tip too. Get some Novus plastic polish and scratch remover. Use a soft cotton t-shirt with it. You can find it as a kit on Ebay for around $13 and it goes a long way. I have removed light scratches from many panels with it (light scratch remover, not too much pressure). It will also remove most scratches from the plastic parts. The polish makes them shine like brand new. The light scratch remover and some cotton swabs also work great for the edges of the panel which always seem to have a band of residue, probably from people cleaning the panel and wiping everything to the edges.
          Attached Files

Comment

You guys should be thankful that at least you're "stuck" with some decent sets. My father watches one of those giant Sony WEGA things and the whole bottom of the screen is blue. There's a ton of them out there like that, due to some optical block issue they have, and the only solution is to send off the block and have it rebuilt for $250 bucks or something. This thing's going to be nothing but an anchor soon.

George

Comment

I know this thread is a little bit old but I thought i'd share my input. I noticed a decline in demand around April in my area. I buy from a recycler but I buy in a large enough quantity that I actually run across some decent stuff from time to time. Sometimes a working one even slips through the cracks and into my lap. It seems like i'm actually starting to do better with having my parts inventory rolling on eBay. Even with all of the headaches between having to test parts and dealing with people who buy just to troubleshoot and return. I had to come up with my own method for doing it because there are so many parts out there which are just a waste of time to list. In this past six weeks i've probably processed through over 60 tvs for either parts or repair but I still wouldn't rely on it fully to put food on my table year round which is why I work a full time job also. Even with the decline in sales this year I still think there is money to be made but just not as much as there used to be. When you buy in bulk and pay less per unit you can afford to reduce your prices and with selling parts on ebay there is always money there to purchase parts that you need for repairs which can be written off on your taxes at the end of the year.

Comment

I have to say one thing I've noticed is the 32" sets, which I still do occasionally, do have good resale at about £80 each and over the past 3 years this has not really changed. For a name brand, like Samsung, maybe an extra £20 to £40 depending on features.

Plasmas, especially 42"ers are a lot harder to sell, I sold two 42" 720p LG plasmas for about £150 recently, I was hoping for nearer to £200. However Panasonic PZ80s, due to being 1080p I guess (and Panasonic) still hold value around £200 for a 42" (I did sell one previously for £250 about 2 yrs ago) so that's not too bad.

Below 26", I really don't bother unless the TV is free because they're such a hassle to sell.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I've been doing quite well selling parts on eBay. My biggest problem is obtaining TVs to part out. Some just aren't worth enough in parts to justify buying them. I'm thinking about doing a direct mail campaign soon though. As for returns, I had the headaches in the beginning from the "buy it to try it" buyers. After realizing that 30% of my sales were coming back as returns, I decided I needed to change my policy. What I did was opt out of hassle free returns and made my restocking fee 25% plus actual shipping. With this, I quite clearly inform the buyer, in bold red print, within the description that unwanted item returns will be assessed the aforementioned restocking fee and advise that they make certain they are ordering the correct part. I have very few returns now. I may miss a few sales here and there because of it, but I would rather not sell an item than to sell it and have it returned.

Comment

I have a 50 inch PZ85 that I recently fixed. I'm holding off selling it until I find an affordable base for it. I've noticed lately, maybe because it's summer, that TV's really aren't selling. At least mine aren't. In the winter they would usually be gone within 2 days of listing them on Craigslist.

Comment

Maybe since the world cup is finally done people would be willing to get rid of their TVs now

Comment

Odd! I've noticed the opposite, it's harder to sell in winter, due to the Xmas and January sales, and unwanted gifts on various sites. Once those subside (late February around here) it's not too bad.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It may be that I need a better outlet than CL. Sometimes I wonder if my ads are even showing because I get very few inquiries.

Comment

For some reason I recently had a spurt of older 32" Polaroid sets come in. Mostly easy repairs and I like them because you don't have to lay the tv down to fix a board issue lol. I was getting an easy $110-120 out of them which I thought was pretty good. When I get a decent name brand like a Samsung I usually ask $135 and get it with no problems. It's weird too because i've also gotten $100 out of older 26" Vizios too. Lately anything 42" that's 1080p i'm getting around $200. I don't even deal with plasmas because with the amount of lcd sets i'm getting it would just be too overwhelming. The recycling place I deal with can't even find a buyer for them! Lookimback, i've gotten away from using craigslist in my area just because of the kind of people i've had to deal with. Half of them either want a tv for two dollars or they want to trade you for car stereo stuff. I have had great luck with using local for sale sites on Facebook. It actually seemed to help build me a nice reputation from doing it too.

Comment

I didn't even realize you could do that on Facebook. Please tell me more.

Comment

FB has Buy and sell pages,kinda per city... Type "your city area buy and sell into the search bar on FB...
                                Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Oh, OK. I see groups for this. I'm going to look into this. Thank you.

Comment

I'll occasionally find one listed local on Craigslist for a decent price, but for the most part folks are just kinda nuts when it comes to prices. They want what I would consider a working TV price for a broken TV and they want to pay less than that for a working TV. It's really to the point that I only buy them to help my friends out. I've pulled my wanted ad from Craigslist. It's just not worth it.

Comment

Not to mention that about 85% of CL is spammers.

Comment

I can almost guarantee you that you will have good luck with Facebook. I used to buy broken tvs from Craigslist in the past too. I didn't rely on posting a wanted ad though, I would just look for people posting them and send a mass email out to everyone with a flat offer and whoever replied I would deal with. You're right though, i've seen some 42 inch tvs with cracked screens listed at $150 firm lately and that's just absolutely insane! On average i'm paying between $5-$10 per tv but the catch is that I usually have to take all of them. I also subscribe to local "free" sites on Facebook and sometime run across stuff there. Lately when I run into something on there if it's right in town i'll actually give the person a little bit of money if I know i'm going to turn a profit on it. That actually worked out to my advantage too because i've already received messages from people out of nowhere asking if i'd take $10 or $20 off of a purchase price on a tv if they traded in their broken one. Nothing beats that feeling though when you're driving home with a mini van packed tight with lcd tvs and you know that while loading them you spotted atleast five of them which have an "almost" predictable problem. I actually think it's turning into more of an addiction.

Comment

Also I should mention that the "friend of a friend" method works too for selling. I'll tell my friends to get someone to buy a 42" tv for $200 and i'll give them no less than $20 (maybe more if the initial purchase and repair cost for me was low). I just drop one tv off at someone's house and let them sell it in their spare time to make extra money. It eliminates me from having to waste my time selling it when I could be putting that time to better use by fixing something. It doesn't guarantee that you'll sell it overnight but when one of your friends stops by your house two weeks later and hands you $180 out of nowhere it feels like Christmas lol.

Comment

Working...
                                          X