resale value nosedived .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: resale value nosedived .

I just joined a site I found on FB called varagesale.com. They have over 3000 members in my area. Already found a TV I'd like to buy. Just waiting on admin approval before I can inquire about it.

So, what application do you use for listing on eBay? I've tried turbo lister and it doesn't run good at all on my laptop. Takes about 10 minutes to create 1 listing. I can do 3 times that in a browser. Currently I'm working on coding a custom app for it. Learning Java as I go so no idea how long it will take.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Lol, I don't have any friends I'd trust.

Comment

I just use the browser on my pc to list on eBay. I have a decent girl who does the pictures. She takes a bin full of tv parts for a single model, uses colored paper and numbers each piece of paper individually and includes the model number on the picture and then emails them to me right from her cell phone. She will do one email for each model tv and that way when I look in my inbox I just start listing them by model and there's no screwing it up because of the colored tag in the picture with each model number on it. From there I just sit at the computer and do the listings. In a way it's kind of tedious but it keeps things straight and organized which I have to thank her for that because if it was all on me everything would be a mess. I do use the normal ebay app for android just to monitor my account only so that i know right away when something is sold because that helps me get it out faster. The one friend who I have selling for me is pretty trustworthy. Aside from that i'm providing him with stacks of broken laptops for a decent price from the recycler I deal with so I wouldn't even need to trust him anyway.

Comment

The Android app is useless for anything else but monitoring, as far as selling is concerned. I only use it because I like the ka-ching when I sell something. As for listing, all my listings have the same general description and then I add the specific item information which is barely more than a repeat of the title. So the app I'm coding will have several things preconfigured as default so I won't have to re enter the same stuff over and over. And the title, I'm making a function called title builder which will have fields for brand, model number, part, and part number. Then those entries will combine to create the title, will fill in all item specifics, and will add to the description. In addition, if I'm listing say 5 items from a TV, then common entries such as brand and model number will fill appropriate fields in all listings so then I will only need to add part, part number, price, quantity, and pictures to each listing after creating the first. I think it will save me several hours each day. And then I'm going to add management and website display features later.

Comment

When I list a part I just find the same exact listing which sold already and click the "sell similar item" button. I then basically just copy/paste the title into the description and that's usually it. For the condition I paste in "good working" and then input my price. I do free shipping and it keeps it already pre-selected when I list something now so I just submit and move on. I like that ka-ching too lol. It lets me know that I have a sale before I even pull my phone out.

Comment

I have been selling to friends, I have only sold one unit over CL to a stranger.

Comment

I have dabbled in repairing TV's for about a year and a half when I fixed our old 32" Sharp CRT that had horizontal lines at top of screen. Then I fixed a buddies Samsung 26" LCD and got the bug. This forum also had a lot to do with the bug.

All of these have come from Craigslist, Fixed a Sanyo 26", gave $20 for it and gave it to my grandsons, but I spent too much to repair. Then I got a Philips 40" and a RCa 26" for $60. Have the Philips in the garage for me and still gonna do another attempt on tab bond repair on the RCA. Three weeks ago I got a 42" Dell plasma that was pristine and all it needed was the two caps for $30. Got my wife watching it now. Just got a Vizio 32" that looks like new for $25 and it needs the eeprom repair. Got parts ordered.

Have thought about selling them but the market on Craigslist here doesn't seem like you can get very much for a used TV or some of them are way too high. But the person I got the Vizio from wanted to know if I would sell it back to him when I got it fixed. I think I will see if anyone in the family needs a TV.

Comment

As I just learned today, go to Facebook and search (your city) + buy and sell. I bought a 46 inch Sony Bravia today. She only wanted $40 but I gave her $55 to deliver it. Sadly it appears to be a tab fault. I can get it to work but then if I bump it, bye bye picture. I think I can fix it though.

Comment

Well in the last 24 hours I have sold an older 42" Insignia for $200, a 19 inch Sansui for $50, and I have someone who wants to come over and take either a 32" Emerson or Dynex for $120. Last week I sold a 42" Vizio for $200 and a 32" LG for $130. Almost all of those sales were thanks to Facebook. I guarantee you that Facebook will increase sales with almost anything these days just because everyone is all about social networking now. I bet almost every person you know has the Facebook app on their phone but very few have a Craigslist app.

Comment

I found the Bravia, which I bought yesterday, thanks to Facebook. Was a TAB fault but I fixed it. I ordered a remote for it and as soon as it arrives I'm going to try and sell it for $250. I'll warranty it for 6 months but only because it was a TAB issue.

Comment

I found a place that sells these universal remotes for $6 each. They're made by GE and I have yet to run across a tv so far which they don't work with. By that I mean that i've always been able to get every single remote function to work. I just write the code down on two labels then place one behind the battery cover and one on the back of the tv. For me it cuts down on having to screw around with waiting for a remote. I do usually get a few odd looks from people when I fill a shopping basket with remotes. I try to not sell anything with bad tab bonding because I usually get afraid that someone is going to have a problem. I worry that if I had a ton of them out there within a period of time and several failed I would have more obligation than I can handle. If it's something really decent i'll fix it up for myself, a family member, or possibly a friend but really alot of them I end up just parting out. It's funny because about 20 percent of what I get ends up being worth more as parts than it's worth as a complete tv.

Comment

My universal remote of choice is a URC3910, URC3920 or URC3940. They drive any TV I've tried and cost a few pounds each. Made by One4All. I'm sure there is an equivalent in the US, too.

Many opportunists are selling programmed remotes for specific models of TVs at £10+. And they're not even good remotes! The One4All has a surprisingly good feel for a cheap product.
                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                            I found the Bravia, which I bought yesterday, thanks to Facebook. Was a TAB fault but I fixed it. I ordered a remote for it and as soon as it arrives I'm going to try and sell it for $250. I'll warranty it for 6 months but only because it was a TAB issue.
                            I'd soak test it for at least a week, if it doesn't falter again then it should be good to go, if it does show then no embarrassment on your part.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              My universal remote of choice is a URC3910, URC3920 or URC3940. They drive any TV I've tried and cost a few pounds each. Made by One4All. I'm sure there is an equivalent in the US, too.

Many opportunists are selling programmed remotes for specific models of TVs at £10+. And they're not even good remotes! The One4All has a surprisingly good feel for a cheap product.
                              I agree, One4All are the best third party remotes, as you say, they do have a good feel and work reliably, perfect for Samsungs or Humax devices.

Comment

I have used One4All URC39xx on:
                                - Vestel (they are specifically listed)
                                - Samsung Smart
                                - Toshiba Smart (no back button but works OK otherwise)
                                - Panasonic
                                - LG

I've encountered no problems on any of them. Works great.
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Dang View Post
                                  I'd soak test it for at least a week, if it doesn't falter again then it should be good to go, if it does show then no embarrassment on your part.
                                  I'm in the middle of testing it now. It's been on continuously since 2am yesterday morning. No problems yet. I've even tried to make it go out again by bumping it and trying to flex it. New OEM remote was $18 with shipping. If this is still working by the time the remote arrives, I think it will be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                    I'm in the middle of testing it now. It's been on continuously since 2am yesterday morning. No problems yet. I've even tried to make it go out again by bumping it and trying to flex it. New OEM remote was $18 with shipping. If this is still working by the time the remote arrives, I think it will be OK.
                                    The way I would do it is to have it going through a series of heat cycles, so maybe leave it on for a couple of hours, turn it off to cool down and so on and so on, it's this expansion and contraction that will allow it to show it's self again, if it's going to, of course if it doesn't then it's a good fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Dang View Post
                                      The way I would do it is to have it going through a series of heat cycles, so maybe leave it on for a couple of hours, turn it off to cool down and so on and so on, it's this expansion and contraction that will allow it to show it's self again, if it's going to, of course if it doesn't then it's a good fix.
                                      I'm glad you said that. I hadn't even considered the effects of expansion and contraction from the heat. And being a 2008 model, CCFL at that, it does get quite hot.

Comment

i have learned to ignore 90% of craigslist inquiries.
                                        spammers,lowballers,douchebags,guys that want to trade garbage for your stuff,ect.
                                        it takes a while but you eventualy come across a real buyer.
                                        anything i fix up sells.mostly to folks i have been fixing stuff for over the years.sometimes on cl.
                                        hell i put 6 sets out during our community yard sale weekend and not only sold them all but got a few jobs and tradeins.
                                        so dont limit yourselves to cl!
                                        remember the 90/10 rule.
                                        90% of cl calls are idiots.10% likely to buy.
                                        example.i listed a complete tpi setup from an f body.
                                        $500 firm.
                                        still got tons of garbage emails.
                                        got one guy from michigan who wanted to call me so i sent my number.
                                        turns out he does museum grade restorations.he drove right down and even brought me a bunch of repair jobs on ecm's.
                                        was worth it to ignore lots of idiots to get one very real customer for life!

Comment

I got to the point that I just ignored most craigslist replies. And I prefer not to call them when they email me their number. I made that mistake and have telemarketers calling me constantly now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X