resale value nosedived .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: resale value nosedived .

Connections I guess you could say. One person has one they are getting rid of. This person has a warehouse call him. This person is a scarper. This person has a hauling business. I might be exaggerating a little. I get about 20 a month this way when I have the room. I have 2 for sale that I haven't even put an ad out yet. I have 7 sitting here that I haven't touched. 2 I am working on and I have to call a guy tomorrow that (says he) has 4 of them. And if the person has a stream of them (hauling, scraper, etc) I will up my price per just so he will call me first. I've gotten the hang of this stuff now I think. I keep a spreadsheet now so I know what I have made in the last 2 or 3 months. Its not millions but its good second stream.
    Doing this on the side to make some extra money for my daughters dance competition.

Comment

lookimback: I don't think people should brag about getting tv's for low prices or how they might do it. that's a "trade secret" of sorts However, when you pay more, are you doing that because you know for a fact that someone else is paying more for them? See, if you don't, you are shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to the broken tv's. The kind of fools that sell them on craigs are usually desperate diehards who will mail everyone and just wait for the first sucker to give them too much money for a broken set. I solved that problem in my area , by LOWERING my prices. At first, people scoff, and won't sell ... but usually there is nobody else buying broken sets. It's either "indy" people like me, or tv shops, and the tv shops pay peanuts for them because they get so many free.

Long story short, don't give them much, unless you know someone else will if you don't. Especially the individual sellers on craigs. They are such a hassle to deal with anyway.

Also, why pay more based on screen size? If you are selling parts, I've never seen a big relationship between part value and panel size. Plus, the bigger the set, the harder the move. it's really random, and some 32 inchers can be good values on parts if you are lucky. then again, nowadays, you have to be REALLY luck, and have lots and lots of parts. I don't know how you profit paying more than 30 for a set. To me, it's really tough even paying 5-10 per set. People like payless out there on ebay. I wonder how they get their millions and billions of parts ... many of which they appear to sell for like one dollar!
      Last edited by tucocaps; 11-30-2014, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Actually, that was Ryan who was talking about getting them real cheap. I believe I over pay. But I also usually have people bring them to me, rather than go pick them up. That's probably worth a bit more too. There are others in my area who buy. I see them on CL. I personally don't deal on CL anymore. Nobody there is real.
        ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

I get mine cheap too, I was sitting on 17 working panels for quite awhile nothing was selling for a couple of months and then a week or two ago they started selling like crazy.

I am down to 7 that I havent listed yet.

Just fixed a HP-T4254! Old plasma but being a Samsung it will sell. Kind of dissapointed the 42Z700u hasnt sold yet.

Comment

lookimback: that was my point my jaw is still dropped from reading your price list. I mean, even at $30 per set.. you say you buy 30 in a month? That's nearly a GRAND in broken screens. Ohhh I couldn't see making back even half that back selling all the parts on ebay .. and that would be with a great ebay account, great listings, and probably 1+ YEARS of waiting or more. I find a lot of tv parts easily run past the 3x autorelist because of low demand. you must have a really nice place with deep pocket customers to buy those parts

Comment

You'd be amazed at how fast stuff sells if the price is right.

Comment

one thing to always remember if you are every buying cracked/broken tv's from anyone for any reason. FACT: Most people throw them away.

I've even found working LCD TV's at the curb, because people with money just throw out when they upgrade. However, even people without money usually won't bother to try to sell a TV that they hit with a golf club. They figure it's not worth much, and generally speaking they would be right about that...

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                  You'd be amazed at how fast stuff sells if the price is right.
                  You mean on Ebay? Yeah parts in demand will sell, but many sell for such low prices, only the huge sellers can survive. With all the risks of selling , especially to "end users" on Ebay ... I won't even do something like a $5 TCON. After fees, shipping, etc. etc. I'll be lucky to be ahead a dollar and that's before taxes. Then, that one sale can take my whole account down or just cost more if it's some clown who is just using me for free part testing.

Have to hand make all boxes for TV boards too... ggg that is a real hassle ... but the boards are so many different sizes, and one size box means much higher ship costs and more packing material.

Comment

I've bought some that look like they were hit by a tornado. And what I'm buying now, I intend to triple by spring. I'm actually planning on hosting a recycling event and doing a lot of heavy advertising. Like the way the car dealers sell 1000 cars in a weekend. I'm going to try to buy a few hundred TVs in a weekend.

Comment

I'm one of the big sellers on there. I have very few returns and perfect feedback. There are some items I make very little money on. But in the end, I make up for it with other parts.

Comment

Well I don't know about all that I can't really say I make any money with any of this TV or electronics stuff. At least not yet or anytime soon. I am trying to learn more about repair and general techniques to isolate and salvage parts from broken sets. To me, that's the fun and interesting part.

To actually make good money selling stuff like parts on ebay, or tv sets locally, seems like a daunting task. Done all that, and still am in a small way, but it's never easy and definitely not fun. Plus, I hate ebay in so many ways, as do most small sellers. Hate amazon too. Hate craigslist, and I hate swipswap as well. lol

Comment

I do currently make all my own boxes. Eventually, I'm going to design my own machine to make a box as I list an item. I already am in the middle of coding my own management software. I have a working model, but I'm still working on it.

Comment

I've never dealt with amazon(selling). But I don't ever buy there. I don't like how it's set up.

Comment

lookimback: that's amazing and good for you. i don't know how you do it at those prices , but if you got enough variety and the luck with those high demand low supply boards, then I guess anything is possible!

Comment

See, that's the thing, there are some parts like key controls, IR sensors, and Tcons which I only make a buck or 2 off, some things I don't even list. But, overall, I profit. It's also a numbers game. You can't just have 20 items on there and expect to make a living. I usually have between 200 and 300 listings. I just got my limits bumped up to 600, I'm trying to fill them all in 2 months.

Comment

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, because I'm not. I'm just saying, eBay isn't that bad. The fees are high, sure, but it's not that bad. It's not like it was a few years ago.

Comment

You always have to have a minimum. Selling a $5 TCON is pointless. But list it at $15 and someone might grab it. If not oh well it was free to list. All my parts are on for my price. Most sell quickly (PS, Main, Inverter, Stands) and some sit (IR, Button, Wires) and sell eventually.

Also the dump is a great place to get TVs. I have had great luck both with broken screens and dead sets.
                                    Doing this on the side to make some extra money for my daughters dance competition.

Comment

I somewhat disagree. I sell lots of items which I only make $2 profit on. It's all about volume. Sell 50 items like that in a day, and you've made $100 profit. Also, those items are far less likely to be returned, and they result in increasing your feedback. The higher your feedback, the lesser the effect of the inevitable negative. On feedback though, in my experience, most people either leave positive, or they leave none. I'm going on 15 months and I've never gotten a negative.

Comment

Working...
                                      X