Can a Bestec be made good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Bestec be made good?

Assuming that a Bestec 300 has not yet gone bad, (ie., volts still correct), can it be made "good" by recapping, or is it inherently bad by design?
    I have 6 systems (Emachine\Gateways) running on Bestecs.
    Thanks,
    bojoe

Re: Can a Bestec be made good?

Inherently bad design, only way you can make it semi-good is use *premium* caps in there, especially one key small cap that caused overvolting.

Other than that, I rather use a PSU with a true PWM IC built into one IC for standby power.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

So this problem is not limited to the 250W model only? Damn I better inform a good friend of mine to get rid of his 300W Bestec immediately.

EDIT: Wizard you got any pics of a Bestec? I would like to know which cap is the one that causes overvolting of the +5VSB.
      Last edited by Leopard; 03-01-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

i recap these all the time.the "killer"cap is a 10@50 in +5stby.
        it is in several locations depending on the rev.
        i use a 22@50 fc
        the 220@25 gets a 220@25 pw.newer ones use a 100@50.these get a 100@50 fm.
        all the rest get 2200@6.3 mbz since i have an inexhaustible suppy of them.1800@16 mbz on +12 and -12.
        they are just fine afterwards.would not put one in a server but i have a 300 in this box now.its a amd fx60 dualcore with 4gb ram and 6 146gb 15k scsi in raid 5.
        been in it 2 years since i recapped it.i have ben keeping a close watch on it but as i suspected years ago they are fine when good parts are used.they also have remote sense on +3.3 and +5.
        Last edited by kc8adu; 03-01-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Wattage doesn't determine the issues, the brand do. Bestec = trash.

Recapping it with quality capacitor helps but important to replace FAN with a ball bearing fan so you don't get a overheat on your hand (happened to me!).

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The guys on this forum give good advice concerning the need for good capacitors - and replacing problem brands. Another problem with the Bestec is the 5VSB design. You can look at the pc board and see that most of the heat discoloration is in the 5VSB circuit. Those models using the two transistor 5VSB have no protection against overvoltage/overcurrent problems. My solution was to remove the transisors and associated circuitry and install a DM311 chip on a seperate piece of perf board. This chip provides the needed overvoltage and overcurrent protection. How to do it?...see my thread posted a few days ago titled Bestec ATX250-12E up and running. I posted photos and circuit diagrams. This modification may not be necessary if a later model has an IC for the 5VSB circuit. Caution: be sure the DC voltage has discharged from the two big capacitors before working on this PS, they charge to 332 volts and will bite!
            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I see I need to recap or replace all the Bestecs - very soon. They are not really servers, but they all are Point-Of-Sale stations, and it's awful when they go down.
              Thanks for all the answers..
              bojoe

Comment

Buy a good PSU like seasonic and replace one POS and rebuild this PSU, then swap this repaired PSU in another POS. so on.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

If you do some research, you may find out that the 5vsb flaw is in the Bestec units marked "250-12E". From what I have heard, the 300w 12E units have much better standby circuits. As long as your emachine systems don't have the 250w 12E Bestec units in them, then you should be okay.
                  Cube Computer Company - Fulfilling Dreams... One Computer at a Time.

Link to CubeComputerChannel on YouTube:
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/CubeComputerChannel

Comment

my friend gave me a best tec 250 12e for free,its a great power supply, i took it apart and no bulging caps, it powers a athlon xp system now with bulging GSC caps on the mobo theyve been bulged for a couple years but haven't blown up, my freind also gave that board for free, its a albatron km266pro he said he saw smoke come out of a ram slot but ive never had problems with it, the chipset fan seized so i put some 10w 30 in it and its been good for 2 years. iam gonna run it till it blows.
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                      my friend gave me a best tec 250 12e for free,its a great power supply, i took it apart and no bulging caps, it powers a athlon xp system now with bulging GSC caps on the mobo theyve been bulged for a couple years but haven't blown up, my freind also gave that board for free, its a albatron km266pro he said he saw smoke come out of a ram slot but ive never had problems with it, the chipset fan seized so i put some 10w 30 in it and its been good for 2 years. iam gonna run it till it blows.

WARNING! when a 12e blows it takes out the mobo with it!!!!

you better not do that. for future reference, it is generally not advised to Run it til it blows". especially the 250-12e. i guarantee a 18v 5vsb will fry your mobo.

i would personally find another psu to replace it with. recap at your own risk.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

WARNING! when a 12e blows it takes out the mobo with it!!!!

you better not do that. for future reference, it is generally not advised to Run it til it blows". especially the 250-12e. i guarantee a 18v 5vsb will fry your mobo.

i would personally find another psu to replace it with. recap at your own risk.
                        lol, did you see that article called death of a gutless wonder http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=154 its hilarious. actually i took it back out and put in a my old 300watt enhance it has one slighty bulged cap, my friend got all mad hes like the best tec has no bulging caps and you put in one with bulging caps i was like yeah but what about this article lol.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Any bestec that has a model of ATX-xxx-12E (xxx=wattage) has the 5vsb. The 12Z and others are fine and not affected.
                          Do not use a psu with bad caps. It may be serving up unclean power with out of spec ripple. And a capacitor thst is even slightly bulged is as bad as one thats leaked out brown ooze. Its either perfect in good condiotion or completely failed (bulged or blown)...
                          All or nuthin with these fuckers

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            All or nuthin with these fuckers
                            Actually no. There are lots of caps that fail without the slightest bulge.

Comment

i had some generic 1997 AT Power Supply today, it was 230 watts i opened it and IMEDIATELY SAW CapXon Primaries which gave me a slight bulge in my pants and some excentment but then when i got over to the secondary side i saw FUHJYYU and My Rocket took off, i mean this much quality! in a power supply made 12 years ago. and knock on WOOD there were no bulging caps and it works great!

Comment

If you are getting a bulge over caps then perhaps an appointment with a psychotrickerist is in order.
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

okay maybe i exagerated a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                                    i had some generic 1997 AT Power Supply today, it was 230 watts i opened it and IMEDIATELY SAW CapXon Primaries which gave me a slight bulge in my pants and some excentment but then when i got over to the secondary side i saw FUHJYYU and My Rocket took off, i mean this much quality! in a power supply made 12 years ago. and knock on WOOD there were no bulging caps and it works great!

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                                      Actually no. There are lots of caps that fail without the slightest bulge.
                                      True
                                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

I meant that they work or dont. Theres no sort of working with capacitors

Comment

Working...
                                        X