• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG Plasma 60pk950-UA no picture or sound

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    OK, that's good.

See attachment.

With TV OFF and UNPLUGGED:
    - Disconnect the blue highlighted cable, by pressing each clip gently and pulling backwards with minimal force.
    - Place a wire link between the two holes marked in red.

Then plug TV in and turn on if it is in standby.

You may or may not see test patterns, but if you do, it indicates the main board is bad (not this board... the board with HDMI etc.)
    So I did this on my girlfriends TV and I got the test patterns. So I know its not the power supply because the tv stays on, and if you say test patterns mean that the main board is good and the board with all the Inputs on it is bad. Why when I his the volume button or inout button I still get nothing on the screen?

Comment

If that board is bad like you said, will it affect the whole functionality of the TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkp123 View Post
        I don't mean to piggy back on anybody's thread but I am pretty new to this and can't figure out how to post my own thread so sorry but I have a lg 60pk 750 has no picture or sound any help would be great thanks
        I have the same model which has no sound or picture. Followed the troubleshoot by Tom66 and I found the Y-sus is bad first. Replaced Y-sus and found the Y low buffer is bad. Replaced Y low buffer, got perfect picture at lower part of screen and found the Y up buffer is bad as well. Ordered the Y up buffer. It should fix my TV for sure.

Comment

Received Y up buffer and put it in. TV is working perfectly now.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            OK, that's good.

See attachment.

With TV OFF and UNPLUGGED:
            - Disconnect the blue highlighted cable, by pressing each clip gently and pulling backwards with minimal force.
            - Place a wire link between the two holes marked in red.

Then plug TV in and turn on if it is in standby.

You may or may not see test patterns, but if you do, it indicates the main board is bad (not this board... the board with HDMI etc.)
            I am having a similar issue with my 50PZ570. when I short out the 2 holes as in this post, the screen goes completely white. should there be different colours?

Comment

Originally posted by jt. View Post
              I am having a similar issue with my 50PZ570. when I short out the 2 holes as in this post, the screen goes completely white. should there be different colours?
              Yes after a few seconds it should cycle thru some coloirs
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I'm a bit confused here. I did the test and saw the cycling through the colors. That means the "main board - the board with the HDMI ports" is bad and needs replaced?

My testing also shows the constantly changing voltages on the Y-Sus board as well, so I was thinking that the Y-Sus board had gone out. If the main board is also bad, I have at least two bad boards.

My tv is the LG 60PZ950 with no picture or sound, but it turns on and the blue status light responds to the remote. The screen is light grey for a second when it turns on, but otherwise no picture. It went out suddenly while watching live TV - I had had the pink and green highlighting on bright scenes for a while now, as well.

The voltages on the Z-Sus board seem fine. Still no picture or sound with the Y-sus or the Z-sus board disconnected from the power board.

Thoughts? Am I correct in saying I need at least two boards because I saw the test screen colors?

Comment

if you have the test patterns, then you have a bad main board only.

these sets suffer from bad solder on the bga chips.
                  WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

You were correct, attainteddragon! I baked the main board at 385 for 10 minutes and it works. Now that it's open, I may tackle the pink and green highlighting on bright scenes I've had.

Thank you for your quick confirmation of the issue. Once I thought about it, the logic set in.

Comment

also check the solder joints on the inductors on the x and y boards.

Comment

I actually did that last night to hopefully prevent the pink spots on bright screens. I've gotten good at soldering for stained glass lead joints, but I suck with electronics. Hopefully ugly is good enough to form a good connection. Time will tell. The tv is currently working perfectly, but it's not had much live time since the fix. Thanks again for the help. I couldn't have done it without this forum.

Comment

Hello,

I have a 60pk950 with the pdp60r1. No picture and no sound. It just cut out one day when I was watching. If first went a bit nuts with the sound and video not right (thought Apple th or connection went bad. Then just went out.
                          1) Powers on and receives remote inputs as I can see front blue light flash when I press remote.
                          2) Light in back blinks per step earlier in this thread.
                          3) VA / VS at 60 and 202. Same as panel.
                          4) vsc at 70 vs panel says should be 150.
                          5) vy -80 vs panel -180.
                          6) vsc and vy don't match spec with I tried disconnecting 104, 105 and connection between buffers.

Never any pic. Note, also did text pattern test my disconnecting board below power board. Also tested all fuses.

If I am reading this thread right does that mean the buffer(s) is likely culprit?

Is it even worth fixing this tv? I love it mostly for the nostalgic reason that it is a plasma and they don't make them anymore. However, my LG curves OLED smokes the 60PK950.

Thank you
                          David

Comment

when you did your test patterns, did you jumper the test holes and removed the lvds cable?

Comment

Are you testing Vsc and -Vy across the resistors marked or from one end to ground?
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by attainteddragon View Post
                                when you did your test patterns, did you jumper the test holes and removed the lvds cable?
                                Ditto, what do you mean disconnected board below power board? WHich bit, there's multiple ribbons going to the ysus, zsus, main and the x boards below plus the 5V feed from the power board?

In a nut shell, Disconnect the power connector at the main av board, disconnect the LVDS ribbon at the main,

The board under the PSU is the logic control board, on that there are 2 copper pads, they need to be jumpered together.

assuming the rest of the TV is connected still(minus the main board) plus the TV in and switch the power point on, relays should automatically energise, TV will power up, screen should energise and see test patterns.

If that occurs main board is no good, likely the BGA chip solders have fractured.

The 2 pads are where R51 and 52 are , bottom right near that cap.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

just to note, this is your lvds connector.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for replying. I forgot to jump the holes and disconnect main from power. I had only disconnected lvds. I get the test pattern. So main board is bad. That seems to be good news as the main board is cheap.

The question is, is there possibly something with the power board that fried the main board? There is a very faint smell of something burning. Not sure if that is normal.

Also, I screwed up the Vsc and -Vy testing. I tested to ground and not across the resister. When I test across the resister it's exact to spec.

Comment

i would say that you are looking at bad bga solder joints on the main processor like many, many others have had.

Comment

Cooked it for 10 minutes. Works perfectly. Nuts.

Thank you so much!!! I am emotionally attached to that TV and I was about to trash it before your help. That's pretty awesome. You guys rock. And as a side note you made me look pretty alpha to my girl tearing apart my plasma and fixing it

Comment

good stuff. there is no guarantee how long it will last. a reball would be the best bet, but is it worth it?

Comment

Working...
                                          X