CyberPower OR1000ELCDRM1U charger circuit problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberPower OR1000ELCDRM1U charger circuit problem

Hi all. I've been trying to fix a CyberPower UPS that isn't charging the batteries. The initial symptoms were that on applying mains power, the unit would come on for a couple of seconds, turn off again, and keep repeating this cycle.

Initially I thought it was just bad batteries as they'd been fitted for a while, so I fitted a new set. After a couple of weeks these flat and the UPS stopped working, so clearly an issue with the charger.

With no batteries connected, the UPS exhibits the same power cycling behavior, so it seemed like an issue with the switch mode charger. After reading After finding this thread I decided to treat the UPS to a complete new set of electrolytic caps. I also replaced the Viper22A switcher and feedback opto for good measure, as from the state of the PCB, it looked like the Viper had been running quite hot.

The UPS now powers on properly with no batteries connected and I'm seeing about 27V open circuit at the battery terminals, which sound reasonable for a 24V string. However, with batteries connected and an ammeter in series, the batteries still aren't charging properly. I'm seeing about 500mA into the batteries for a couple of seconds, followed by 200mA out for a couple of seconds, and this just repeats. On feeling the Viper, it is *extremely* hot and so I suspect what I'm seeing is it going into thermal protect and shutting down, then cooling off a little and coming back on. This is supported by the fact that I get a few more seconds of charging current from a cold start.

I'm struggling to find a service manual for this UPS, so I'm unsure as to how the charger circuit should work. There's a 0.68R power resistor immediately after the smoothing cap on the low voltage side, so I wonder if this might be a sense resistor. There's also a TL431K adjustable regulator that looks like it might be involved, but it can't be the primary means of controlling the charging current as it's only rated to 100mA.

If anyone has a service manual they could share and/or some tips on where to look next, it would be much appreciated.

Re: CyberPower OR1000ELCDRM1U charger circuit problem

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=124
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Sorry, I must have somehow missed that. I've attached some photos to this post. Let me know if you need close ups on any specific areas.
      Attached Files

Comment

Look at the picture for what you should look at
        Attached Files
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The PCB needs a good scrub with IPA and a toothbrush/q-tip.
          I see flux water damage and corrosion. D35 looks like a cold solder joint.

Comment

A bad cap??? I don't see bulging at the vents, LOL.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

There is definitely no water damage, what you see is residue left where flux has been flushed away with cleaner and isopropyl alcohol. Granted it does need a better clean but there's no point unless I can get it working.

Sam_Sam_Sam, that's the Viper22A in the corner. It has already been replaced, and the capacitor is also brand new - less than 2 hours on it. The diode bridge is fine and there's high voltage DC to the input side of the Viper, so it must be an issue on the low voltage side.

Redwire, no dry joint on D35 - must just be the photos.
              Last edited by electronicsuk; 11-03-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X