Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows XP EoL Security Rollup...or similar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP EoL Security Rollup...or similar?

I've got a customer running some proprietary software (CD mastering software that wont run on anything newer), and is keeping an XP 32 bit system running, and running connected to the internet. It's updated up to SP3...but of course WU doesn't work anymore with XP, it's ancient history.... I was wondering if there was a security rollup around post-EOL that took care of some stuff....even if it's perhaps 'unofficial'....like USP5 was for Win2k....

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Windows XP EoL Security Rollup...or similar?

Did you check the Microsoft Update Catalog site? Search: (XP sp3) The last critical update I believe was KB4500331
    I believe there are unofficial sites that update xp with Xp embedded updates
    Last edited by R_J; 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Windows Update don't work with XP?
      http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
        Nope.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
          No they axed it with the introduction of SHA-2 requirements for Windows Update:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-discontinued
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

you can reg-patch to change it to the embedded version.
            i'v personally seen so many slot machines running it with blue screens that i wouldnt bother though!!

what is the mastering software?
            linux with wine is very good now - and you select the windows version to emulate.

Comment

i run old stuff on win 7 in xp mode .also run 7 in developer mode to make things work properly

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                what is the mastering software?
                linux with wine is very good now - and you select the windows version to emulate.
                Nero 6.3.1.xx

Won't run on 7 even in compatibility mode....and this guy isn't the most tech savvy.... I got the task of putting it back together on his early P4 system that had a spinner HDD fail. I upgraded it to a SSD with adapters (no SATA)...and of course his requested software is working fine.....but he still insists on web browsing with this thing (uses Opera) rather than leaving it offline and web browsing with something modern...hence checking around for a security rollup post-SP3. On something this slow, I can't even imagine trying to view modern bloatware sites, but I digress.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

there was an official Nero version for Linux - i may still have it somewhere.

Comment

all I remember, there was a registry key that one needed to modify / patch after the EOL updates were no more. After that XP updated again. I've got no clue if that patch still works, or if someone else got all these extra updates to be downloaded to a file.

Here is what I was looking for: https://www.zdnet.com/article/regist...or-windows-xp/
                    Last edited by CapLeaker; 11-22-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      I've got a customer running some proprietary software (CD mastering software that wont run on anything newer), and is keeping an XP 32 bit system running, and running connected to the internet. It's updated up to SP3...but of course WU doesn't work anymore with XP, it's ancient history.... I was wondering if there was a security rollup around post-EOL that took care of some stuff....even if it's perhaps 'unofficial'....like USP5 was for Win2k....

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
                      Well, there are 'unofficial' rollups. Goggle 'Windows XP SP4'. There also are complete installs with all updates slipstreamed into them. One of them are called Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Integral Edition.

Have not used them, and don't know if they can be trusted.

Edit: SSD Trim can be a bit tricky on XP.
                      Last edited by sofTest; 11-22-2020, 06:38 PM.
                      ------------
                      Be a mensch

Comment

incidentally, nero6 will probably still work with the right aspi drivers

Comment

Originally posted by sofTest View Post
                          Edit: SSD Trim can be a bit tricky on XP.
                          No it is not tricky at all: it is simply not supported at all

About the embedded fixes: I would assume they also stopped working with the SHA-2 release.
                          Meaning of course you can do manual install, but no Window Update...
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Why just not replace the Nero and install Windows 7 32bit?
                            You know that there is more than one way to get it and I don't need to tell you how.
                            Not that I would not tell directly, but you have DMCA to worry about, not me.
                            This is closest to SP4 you can get https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...nofficial.html
                            Unless you want to search update.microsoft.com yourself and install manually.
                            Better give him C2D machine and updated Nero. With 4GB RAM it would be decent for some web browsing.
                            Last edited by televizora; 11-24-2020, 03:23 PM.
                            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              No it is not tricky at all: it is simply not supported at all
                              OS-wise, you are correct. There used to be some SSD-manufacturers that had some trim-like features in their firmware. OCZ (Vertex?) comes to mind for some reason. Don't know if any manufacturers cares about that now days. There also used to be utilities that one could run to perform manual trim, or schedule periodic trim. Don't know if that's around any more either. Hence tricky.
                              ------------
                              Be a mensch

Comment

Nero 6 is one of the best cd writing softs ever made on windows - and it uses libs that wont run on 7 for several reasons.
                                too bad they fucked themselves with nero7+ turning into itunes style bloatware!

it also has it's own file format - so if the guy has a big library of images he wont wont to run them through NRG2ISO or similar software.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  it also has it's own file format - so if the guy has a big library of images he wont wont to run them through NRG2ISO or similar software.
                                  Softs like ImgDrive support the mounting of NRG images.
                                  Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                                  1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    On something this slow, I can't even imagine trying to view modern bloatware sites, but I digress.
                                    Hi!

Yes, it's slow to browse modern web on a P4 machine today. At least mine (still main PC) is somewhat newer P4 with Prescott HT CPU (that good ol' Optiplex 170L.)

Anyways, all I can say is... forget about the security rollup. Just make sure his machine is running behind a router that has at least some kind of built-in firewall and doesn't expose the machine's ports to the internet openly. With that and a good hosts file, he shouldn't really have issues, unless he visits tainted websites on a regular basis. But if that's the case, no security update will help that one.

I already have plans to get a newer "main PC" for this year... but likely will still try to stick to XP. There's some crap about Vista and 7 that annoy me to no end when it comes to organizing/sorting files, and I just can't get over it. Otherwise, I've finally warmed up to 7 pretty well now (about time, lol. )

Originally posted by sofTest View Post
                                    Well, there are 'unofficial' rollups. Goggle 'Windows XP SP4'. There also are complete installs with all updates slipstreamed into them. One of them are called Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Integral Edition.

Have not used them, and don't know if they can be trusted.
                                    Yeah, I wouldn't trust them.

Genuine XP copy + official SP3 is the way to go.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 11-26-2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Yes, it's slow to browse modern web on a P4 machine today. At least mine (still main PC) is somewhat newer P4 with Prescott HT CPU (that good ol' Optiplex 170L.)
                                      You cant even open a modern page using WindowsXP. Half of the things don't work.
                                      Windows10 is the problem. I use Windows7 with the classic gray theme.
                                      Oh, dear, get something newer. At least dual core Core2Duo.
                                      XP is so ancient now, that most of the newer software will not run on it.
                                      Not that my laptop is that great, but it's at least an i5 with 4 gigs of ram.
                                      The sad thing is that today the web pages themselves had become a benchmark. With all this bloatware.
                                      Windows10 is another story. I had many machines at work with Windows10. Most of them are running Windows7 now.
                                      Windows10 is notorious for it's "bugs" with CPU spiking "Software protection = 50% constant cpu usage"
                                      At one moment, the PC just slows down with high cpu usage and you cant fix it, no matter what you disable.
                                      I will stay with Windows7, even if it's EOL, until they fix this. I cant tolerate constant slowdowns.
                                      Last edited by televizora; 11-26-2020, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                        You cant even open a modern page using WindowsXP. Half of the things don't work.
                                        You can... with the latest/last Firefox ESR (52.9, if I'm not mistaken.) But since that is also rather outdated now, there are indeed a few web pages that don't work correctly. For the most part, though, most websites do still work OK with FF ESR 52.x... maybe not as smooth as modern FF Quantum engine, of course.

That said, the major letdown of using FF ESR (due to Mozilla intentionally blocking FF Quantum engine from installing on XP - bastards!) is that FF ESR (and all pre-Quantum FF really) are not optimized for multi-core CPU, and therefore still perform very sluggishly. The best option is to get a fast dual-core CPU and OC it even more to get higher core speeds, so that way FF ESR runs faster. Of course, P4 architecture, even with its fast clock, is not very efficient, so it's not very good. However, between a very fast Core 2 Duo (like 3 GHz or more) and a much newer CPU, there won't be too much of a difference in performance.

I use Windows7 with the classic gray theme.
                                        Same.
                                        This applies to both my XP and 7 systems. I also turn off taskbar grouping and many of the other visual [d]effects. IMO, Windows classic is the best and most user-friendly theme that has ever come out in Windows, and I refuse to replace it with anything else.

Oh, dear, get something newer. At least dual core Core2Duo.
                                        Oh, I have plenty of newer systems - high-end Core 2 Duo's, Core 2 Quads, Athlon II X4, an i5, and even a dual Xeon octa-core system as of last spring. But the better systems I use for gaming. For everyday use, an Athlon X2 5200+ does the job pretty well and is likely what I will be using (or something along those lines) for my next main PC.

The sad thing is that today the web pages themselves had become a benchmark. With all this bloatware.
                                        Indeed.
                                        However, aside from Youtube, BCN, email, and a few other select websites, I rarely do much browsing outside of those. So most of the websites I visit don't have a whole lot of bloat (except for YT.) Heck, BCN still runs great on just about anything. If only the rest of the internet was like this place.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 11-26-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X