Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 15 5559 AAL15 LA-D071P battery not charging

Hi all,

I'm troubleshooting an issue with a laptop where it doesn't seem to want to charge the battery. The laptop will run off the battery alone and use/drain the battery normally in this situation, it will run off the AC adapter alone, and it will run with both charger and battery connected, but it doesn't seem to charge the battery under any circumstance.

At startup of the laptop, the following error message is displayed by Dell SupportAssist: "Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available." I disabled this alert in the BIOS. I know the adapter is of sufficient wattage and voltage as it matches that of the original factory charger which has since been lost (45W, 19.5V), so I think the laptop is just mad it's not official Dell. However, it should still be working.

In Windows 10, the battery icon in the lower right tray will say "plugged in" when hovered over, but never anything about charging. I used a free battery monitoring program (BatteryCare) to confirm that no charging of the battery is occurring. Periodically Dell Power Manager Lite will display a popup in windows similar to the startup warning about the adapter not being recognized, blah blah.

Info / Things I have tried:

1. I am on the latest applicable BIOS from Dell's site.

2. Many common "fixes" for non-charging batteries found on the internet such as: plugging in the laptop, turning it on, removing the battery, uninstalling the battery drivers from device manager, shutting down the laptop, leaving the battery out for several hours, reinserting the battery and turning the laptop back on.

3. Swapped out the DC charging port on laptop.

4. Tried a brand new battery.

5. Tried a brand new 65W charger (universal).

6. I even reset the Windows 10 installation... just in case...

It seems like from 3, 4 and 5 seem to rule out the battery, charging cable, or dc port being the issue...

Then I found these schematics:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1517020862

(original post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=13 )

And took some measurements of PJPDC1 and PBATT1:

PDPDC1 pins:
    1. 0V
    2. 0V
    3. 3.39V
    4. 0V
    5. 19.5V
    6. 19.5V

PBATT1 pins (no battery, charging cable only):
    1. 0V
    2. 0V
    3. 0V
    4. 3.32V
    5. 3.34V
    6. 3.34V
    7. 0.05V
    8. 0.05V

PBATT1 pins (battery inserted + charging cable):
    1. 0V
    2. 0V
    3. 0V
    4. 0V
    5. 3.23V to 3.28V
    6. 3.22V to 3.28V
    7. 15.17V
    8. 15.17V

I am admittedly not very familiar with reading electronic schematics, but am I understanding correctly that PBATT1 pins 7 and 8 SHOULD be 17.4V? Are my measurements indicating that the battery is not receiving sufficient voltage to charge, and thus not charging at all?

Sadly I'm at a bit of a loss for where to go from here... it seems like the problem should not be the battery, charger, or DC port. It seems the only culprit left would be the motherboard (or something on it), but the idea of spending $150+ on a new board and trashing this whole old board when the possible fix might be replacing a single chip for a few bucks is frustrating.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help/ideas/input!

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 5559 AAL15 LA-D071P battery not charging

"I know the adapter is of sufficient wattage and voltage as it matches that of the original factory charger which has since been lost (45W, 19.5V), so I think the laptop is just mad it's not official Dell. However, it should still be working."

Use a genuine charger,9 times out of 10 the problem is solved.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Check pin 36 of kbc MEC-1404 for 3.3V. This is your ps id signal. Dell are known to have failure in ps-id circuit. But first check the voltage on that pin and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
        Check pin 36 of kbc MEC-1404 for 3.3V. This is your ps id signal. Dell are known to have failure in ps-id circuit. But first check the voltage on that pin and report back.
        It was really difficult to be sure I was touching just pin 36 because I think I just need a smaller probe and a more powerful magnifying glass, but it seems to be about 3.39V.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
          "I know the adapter is of sufficient wattage and voltage as it matches that of the original factory charger which has since been lost (45W, 19.5V), so I think the laptop is just mad it's not official Dell. However, it should still be working."

Use a genuine charger,9 times out of 10 the problem is solved.
          I've ordered a Genuine OEM Dell charger to try. Unhelpfully, the bottom of the laptop under the battery shows 19.5V and 2.13A/3.34A... so it's not really clear if it needs 45W or 65W. I got a 65W one to be safe. I'll update when it arrives on Tuesday.

Comment

The genuine Dell charging cable came in today and... It seems to be working. Does this mean Dell actively prevents third-party chargers from working? Is that even legal? Especially when so many universal chargers also claim to work on Dells?

Comment

Originally posted by shatteredhalo View Post
              The genuine Dell charging cable came in today and... It seems to be working. Does this mean Dell actively prevents third-party chargers from working? Is that even legal? Especially when so many universal chargers also claim to work on Dells?
              thats for "middle pin" is made

dell wont charge for many years. now there are many vendors that is using middle pin/hp lenovo .../
              Last edited by ktmmotocross; 08-25-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Hello, in my case it does not detect an ac adapter, but if I have 3.3v on pin 36 of the KBC, I connect the battery and it flashes white and orange, it does not send power to the battery

Comment

Originally posted by SERVILAP View Post
                  Hello, in my case it does not detect an ac adapter, but if I have 3.3v on pin 36 of the KBC, I connect the battery and it flashes white and orange, it does not send power to the battery
                  Is the adapter recognised in bios setup only on ac adapter(battery removed)?? If no, you have problem in psid circuit. Schematic available, so check it.

Comment

the adapter is not recognized by the bios, but if I have voltage in psid

Comment

notebook adapter and DC_IN input circuit must be compatible.
                      Attached Files
                      I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge

if you still have this issue do reply - I know the solution!

Comment

rookieme

i have an inspiron 15 5555
                          with this problem
                          Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge

can you help

thx

giagi

Comment

@giagi - does your logic board look like the attached ?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by giagi View Post
                              rookieme

i have an inspiron 15 5555
                              with this problem

can you help

thx

giagi
                              hello giagi, some time ago i repaired 2 dell inspiron 5559/5558 and both had a defective power supply. The laptop turned on anyway, the same message came up and it was really slow in Windows and the battery was not charged. Just change the power supply and it should work again.
                              Only use original Dell 65W power supply!
                              Last edited by dudochnicht; 10-25-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for responding. I need to dissassemble it. I really need a schematic of the circuit
                                from input power adapter to the battery. There is a an IC MUX switch that could be causing this trouble.

Comment

After you open the box - confirm if the logic board looks like what I posted earlier.

Comment

ok will do

Comment

yes the board looks like the one you posted
                                      except the numbers on mine are
                                      AAL12 LA-C142P
                                      rev3 (A02)
                                      2015--05-19

Comment

Working...
                                      X