Westinghouse 42" HD flat panel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse 42" HD flat panel question

Have a chance to pick up a Westinghouse 42" flat panel for a good price--and it's got an issue.

Current owner says the screen was hit by something but did not crack the glass that he is aware of.

I've borrowed the photo he sent in of the screen. Just looking for possible ideas of how bad or good this could be. It's priced low enough to get my interest. But I'm concerned about the screen.

I'm thinking maybe the edge connector came loose from the impact--in that case maybe some foam tape to act as a 'wedge' might bring it back to life. But I'm not sure.

Any feedback would be welcome. I'd like to setup something quick if this is a good solid chance-

(that's as good a screen shot that I could grab. The one with the TV off looks normal?)

Thanks!

S-
    Attached Files

Re: Westinghouse 42" HD flat panel question

So should I roll the dice and take a chance?

Comment

That looks like a cracked panel to me from the photo, I would steer clear. The damage is probably not visible externally but with the display on it's a dead giveaway.

Comment

Well, that's part of the fun. He's asking $30 for it, or best offer. I suspect (sense the other photo shows no damage) the broken area is above the trim area, probably right along the strip that has the electrical contacts.

If I can get him down to $20, would it be a fair deal? I could always part it out.

Thanks!

S-

Comment

Well, if anyone else cares to weigh in.

Knowing that it will likely be a parts machine. What would be a fair price? Would it be worth throwing a twenty on it just for the experience?

Or just say nope and continue to try and find a decent 'working' set that has an intact screen. Looking for options and opinions.

(Heck, if I can find a 32" westinghouse? I saved the guts and no interest so far from anyone wanting to buy it. The screen is 100% <G> Shame I can't modify it for the 42".)

S-

Comment

I would guess the panel is fubar as well, and that being the case there won't be much to learn but how to loosen the screws to harvest the boards

Comment

Well. Looks like I'll see if I can pick the set up for a reasonable price.

Would the $20 be a decent price? (He's asking $30, but I can probably kick him down a bit) Considering it would be a 'harvest' job, I can probably sell the parts as needed to other members and on eBay to recover the costs.

Comment

Working...
              X