Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED back lights

What the heck

They advertise that LED back light is the new greatest thing but it's seems to be the worst new thing. Why didn't they make them more accessible ?
    I guess it's great for techs who are willing to pull the screen assembly apart.
    Dan "TV Tinkerer"

Re: LED back lights

I've been picking TVs out of the dump for years, Now I find LED backlight failure is becoming very common. Not fair to consumers when a $3 part causes the failure of a $400 or $500 TV. Why didn't they mount them from the back so they could be replaced?
    Dan "TV Tinkerer"

Comment

same reason the fuses are soldered in, because "no user recoverable parts inside" so go buy another!

Comment

I just ordered 100 white SMT LED to repair these LED strips because the strips are too expensive and the LEDs are weak anyway.

I have a Sanyo to repair, got it to come on, just two blown LED, very nice TV.

Comment

After much tribulation with the Sanyo, it is better to patch a new piece of strip in place of the old LED. Better than Soldering SMT and dealing with the lenses on the leds

Comment

Originally posted by 120volts View Post
            I've been picking TVs out of the dump for years, Now I find LED backlight failure is becoming very common. Not fair to consumers when a $3 part causes the failure of a $400 or $500 TV. Why didn't they mount them from the back so they could be replaced?
            For the same reason there are no schematic diagrams in the service manual on modern sets and spare boards are no longer available after only 18 months ,you are supposed to drop the set in the bin and go out and buy another one which will last less time than the one it replaced .

Comment

It does seem as though the sets produced today are made for a limited lifetime but I guess that's the the result of producing cheap sets. My Panasonic plasma now 8 years old is still going strong but was very expensive at the time it was purchased.

What I can't get my head around is the sheer number of screen breakages and as mentioned above, led failure. Pity the led strips weren't run in slotted guides for easy removal of the entire strip. I couldn't see that pushing up the manufacturing cost of the sets.
              Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

That's because manufacturers like Philips sold the tv branche to a cheap chinese/japanese ( not sure ) company which make the tv's really cheap. They use for example the same capacitors which people buy on eBay in bulk ( 125 for $7 ).

Those leds are made to last for a small period of time so people will buy a new tv instead or repairing it. Thats why those led tv's cost like $ 300/400.

No way that my VT50 plasma tv will go for a led tv
                I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

there is a website i'v seen with the ultimate ghetto-hack fix for this.
                  the guy cuts the rear out of the panel frame, and mounts it in an old crt monitor case with the pcb's on the bottom and a domestic cfl lamp in a batten holder screwed to the back of the case!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X