Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 Delco radio not working anymore

Hi,

I have a 1984 Delco UU6 ETR Radio with Equalizer. I have had a hard time finding it (it's what my '84 Trans Am came with originally), but I got it two years ago, I've added an auxiliary input and it was working perfectly with great sound on the test bench.
    I'm slowly getting my Trans Am back together so I've tested it inside the car with the same great results : listening to an mp3 on an original 30 years old unit is priceless.

But then, I put the center console back in, so I plugged the radio again and it wouldn't work anymore. It only shows the time and I can change it. But no sound would come from it, nor can I change the station or play a cassette, only the time is visible.

I've tested several aftermarket radio and they work fine in the car.

I've taken it apart and I don't see any visible problem with the caps, yet, they're 28 years old Delco capacitors...

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by SuperDuty; 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM.

Re: 1984 Delco radio not working anymore

Could we have some pics of the insides?

I don't know what the heck would make the radio not turn on. Perhaps a bad switch?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I have repaired hundreds of these. You have an old one. The next generation of these radios is 100 times better. (you don`t need the eq) The newer version won`t have the eq and it will have a blue display. It will also have way better outputs and a new amp makeover.

Yours will have board solder joint issues all throughout the mainboard. (logic board) You will be able to see the solder joint cracks on these. It does have the good c deck. I used to install 3.5mm inputs for cd players back in the day.

The fact that these have the eq adds more boards that fail. Also this radio is packed tight and is one of the hardest delcos to repair.

There will never be failed componets! except for the 5 pin output amp ics. They will get hot when near failure.

Most common failures are logic control. (solder joints) The wire diagram is stamped right into the radios outer sheet metal covers which come off with just a few screws. This will give you key power and clock/logic power for pigtail connectors. If you are missing clock power the radio will not have any power for logic control and will do funny stuff.

Also make sure you have a ground at the cars pigtail connector. The black connector should have keypower/ ground/ power antenna and clock/logic/memory power. (constant)

I have had the power buttons fail but this is very rare.
      Last edited by cadiman; 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

My version has the blue display, this particular radio was used only on 83-84 Firebirds and 84 Fieros. I've openend it and found a broken wire between the two larger mainboards. It's a little bit complicated to disassemble indeed. So I've tested it again, and now it won't work at all, crap. Must have done something wrong.

I also have a UX1 unit from a 1989 Firebird which is very similar on the outside (except the grey faceplate), but completely different inside, with a Blaupunkt cassette deck.

Comment

Just check for power to that pwr switch. Or feed 12v to it and also feed 12volts to the orange wire coming out of the logic board. and a ground and the radio should power up.

I have worked on so many of these that they are burned into my memory forever! I should be able to help you get this one going. If you take the top and bottom covers off I can explain everything to you.

Comment

Probably dirty contacts. Old Delco radios are notorious for having nasty contacts after a number of years. I know the ones in 1st generation Astro and Safari Van's (like your radio model) often have the issue.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The old style plug connectors going from board to board are what I think you are talking about and yes I remember pushing the wires back into the connector. They were like a scotch loc. These were the worst. Thanks for bringing that up.

Comment

Ok so it works on the bench with the computer PSU...it was a bit hard to wire because I don't have spare radio connectors so i had to use blue tac to keep the wires in place :P Yeah I know I'm cheap ^^.

But the radio works, the aux input works. I think I will have to check the wiring of the car again. I just don't get it what I could have done that would make the radio not to work properly anymore
                The only thing I've changed is the ignition switch, since the newer one I used was from an 89 and didn't work in my '84, so I put back the original one in which works perfectly.

Here's the upper board solder side :

Comment

Cadiman,
                  If memory is any good at all.

He is going to need +12 constant hot for the clock and memory.
                  Current draw should be minimal.

A switched 12 volts to turn the radio on from the key.
                  Depending on volume, current draw can be up to a few amps.

They are separate fuses in the vehicle.
                  It's been so long now I do not remember the colors.

Also I remember you or one of the guys here saying that the case must be grounded, that is a must. One cannot depend on the antenna cable to supply ground to the radio.

SD,
                  Dig around, the best way to go is a scrap radio harness.

If you can't find one in France, let me work a couple of sources and try to scare one up for you and sent it over. Catch me on the 'messenger' here for contact details.

What your doing is begging for problems if you do not use the right connector.

Ages ago I used to fix these things and factory plugs make life simple.
                  Most of that business was servicing tape players. They were valuable for clients that wanted the 'stock look' in their cars.

There are too many things on the delco radio connector that won't like it if 12 volts at hard current get into them.

Much luck there.
                  Jack Crow in Virginia USA
                  "You are, what you do, when it counts"
                  The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
                  Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
                  You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
                  But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
                  If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

Guys,
                    Forgot one more thing.
                    Dash lamp dimmer.
                    With the headlights off, the display should be at full bright.
                    If the headlights are on, the display will dim in tandem with the instruments.
                    Check that for proper operation, a dim or off display looks like a failed radio.

Jack Crow
                    "You are, what you do, when it counts"
                    The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
                    Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
                    You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
                    But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
                    If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Crow View Post
                      Cadiman,
                      If memory is any good at all.

He is going to need +12 constant hot for the clock and memory.
                      Current draw should be minimal.

A switched 12 volts to turn the radio on from the key.
                      Depending on volume, current draw can be up to a few amps.

They are separate fuses in the vehicle.
                      It's been so long now I do not remember the colors.

Also I remember you or one of the guys here saying that the case must be grounded, that is a must. One cannot depend on the antenna cable to supply ground to the radio.

SD,
                      Dig around, the best way to go is a scrap radio harness.

If you can't find one in France, let me work a couple of sources and try to scare one up for you and sent it over. Catch me on the 'messenger' here for contact details.

What your doing is begging for problems if you do not use the right connector.

Ages ago I used to fix these things and factory plugs make life simple.
                      Most of that business was servicing tape players. They were valuable for clients that wanted the 'stock look' in their cars.

There are too many things on the delco radio connector that won't like it if 12 volts at hard current get into them.

Much luck there.
                      Jack Crow in Virginia USA

Actually, the car harness has the connectors, even twice because of the additional amplifier that was optional on some Firebirds from 1984 to 1987 maybe.
                      I don't have some spare ones to test the radio outside the car with a computer PSU for example ^^ So I used blue tack to keep the wires in place.

Bye the way, I've plugged the radio to the dashboard harness (so without the amplifier harness) with no change.

Comment

these things have to be connected right including the lighting wire.they can be unpredictable if miswired.had one in a friends s10 that would not play about 50% of the time.found he had swapped power antenna and lighting.someone before him butchered the harness.

Comment

I'd also be looking for shorts or broken wires in the harness... for all we know a mouse got in there and munched some wiring.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            I'd also be looking for shorts or broken wires in the harness... for all we know a rat got in there and munched some wiring.
                            fixed

I'd check the connector to the radio too, sometimes the radio will be OK, and the connector harness might have a bad connection. Seen this happen too.

I wouldn't think the wires would be switched up though.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

You could be missing power to the orange wire (pigtail on the back of the radio coming out of the logic board) This is constant power feeding your clock logic memory. Most likely missing from your car. check with a test light and make sure you find a good ground This should be hot all the time.

The brown wire is for dimming the radio lights and does not need to be hooked up on the bench

The orange wire I remember needing to hook up on the bench for logic/display function.

The ground is solid to the radio frame on these but I like to ground the radio frame to the car also.

I am sorry if I did not make that clear.
                              Last edited by cadiman; 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I have a 1984 Pontiac UU6 radio just like the one pictured here. It is also not working - it will not power on at all, no lights to clock/station LCD, no sound, etc.

I'd really like to repair it as it's original to my Trans Am.

If anyone can provide me with any guidance or help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

John

Comment

I had an 1985 Firebird with that same model of radio. You need 2 sources of power. One coming from the BAT unswitched either taken from the HORN/Int.LIGHT power lines or direct from BAT thru a fuse. The other from a fused RADIO tap or block getting power from the ignition switch taps when in ACC/RUN positions. I never took mine apart from the harness. Just know it was a mess of wires to deal with.

Comment

Forgot about this thread. The radio has been working just fine since I've finished the restoration nearly two years ago. I don't recall exactly what was wrong, but I think one of the power wire of the harness was damaged and I had to solder it properly. I'd recommend to check for power at the connectors first.
                                    It sounds pretty good with the auxiliary input but newer speakers would be a good idea. The problem is it requires 8 ohms speakers.

Comment

Hi everyone.
                                      Just found this forum & thread today. (about 4 yrs late)

cadiman,
                                      From what I read above, apparently you have worked on these radios.
                                      Here's my story:
                                      I have the same radio in my '89 truck. Just started having trouble. Won't turn on. Well, it turns on if I push the 'power' button about 15 times and wiggle it just right. Then all controls work , but must keep hand away from power button. And, if I turn off ignition I have to start this process over. The clock illuminates all the time.
                                      I suspect the 'power' pushbutton. Ever replaced one? Difficult? I've done some electronic repair so.... I was thinking a remote on/off toggle if I can't get a original switch. Truck is 28yr old, but runs great. Worth about $500, so no new radio.
                                      I haven't pulled radio from the dash yet. I'll have get it indoor (ND winter) and check the wiring. Maybe I'll get lucky.
                                      Been searching for hours for parts for this thing. No luck.
                                      Would be great if you find this thread again.
                                      Tanks.

Comment

I have the same problem with my AC Delco in my 1989 Chev Beretta. Clock display is on all the time. But the power switch won't turn on the Radio. Sometimes I have to push the switch several times and the radio turns on. Very annoying as the car is like new.
                                        What have you done to fix the problem? let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                        X