Building a gaming rig for my dad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a gaming rig for my dad...

It's listed in the cpu support since bios 0204, which is earlier than any listed bios
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      It's listed in the cpu support since bios 0204, which is earlier than any listed bios
      Good. While the MSI B450 Tomahawk, even when mine included a late enough BIOS, didn't support Matisse at the first BIOS release. Honestly looks like that's because they most likely first came out in 2018 and I have a late revision of the same motherboard. Looked like mine was manufactured in 2019.

Matisse came out in 2019. (third-gen)
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-14-2021, 12:32 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

if it's 1080p, the bottleneck would usually be the video card. CPU would probably not be used much

But it makes it expandable for future games
        Understood.

I may have a tradebait lead on a board, RAM, CPU, and cooler. It's actually older than what came out, but would get the job done (Single CPU Xeon with a relative buttload of RAM (24GB?), Supermicro X8SAX). Not sure if that's the way I want to go... but if it works, it works?

(I'll let the current owner of such chime in if he wishes... although likely y'all can guess who that is, given how my trading's been lately).
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          Understood.

I may have a tradebait lead on a board, RAM, CPU, and cooler. It's actually older than what came out, but would get the job done (Single CPU Xeon with a relative buttload of RAM (24GB?), Supermicro X8SAX). Not sure if that's the way I want to go... but if it works, it works?

(I'll let the current owner of such chime in if he wishes... although likely y'all can guess who that is, given how my trading's been lately).
          I set it aside for you. CPU is a Westmere Xeon W3690 hex @ 3.46. Same CPU as the x5690, but the "W" series won't run in a dual config...hence in a single board. The rest you know.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Time for some crappy pics:

Didn't get one of the case as a whole, but it's one of these:

http://www.azza-tek.com/m/2010-1275-122655.php?Lang=en

Specifically, the 250 version (3x USB 2.0, 1x USB 1.0).

Feels cheap and flimsy. I've seen (and dealt with) worse (at least they fully hemmed any exposed sheet metal edges!).
            Typical modern case - cheap thins steel, but with enough bends and folds, it actually holds up OK for the most part. I still don't like them, though - especially because I'm tired of the all-black looks.

Some no name coolers aren't actually too bad.
            I bought a 2-heatpipe one and it actually works as advertised. Was machined quite well too. Only issue was some of the fins came slightly bent from the shipping due to no padding in the box whatsoever. Nothing that I couldn't fix in 2-3 minutes with tweezers and an old credit card.

Memtest it well. If it works without errors, probably OK to reuse in some crappy non-important build.

At least they used a brand name CPU socket:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1614490287
            Probably because it came from a recycled board, as is usually the chipset too on many of these AliExpress/eBay/Amazon no name boards.

I bench tested the board one last time... nada. no lights or activity.
            Check all of the small regulators on the board. Chances are, since it's a cheapo China board, it probably uses cheapo China MOSFETs and regulators too. I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them has bit the dust. If not, then I'm putting my money on a dead recycled chipset.

What I thought was an abnormally wide audio isolation slot is actually mobo bling bling... it's backlit!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1614490287
            Welcome to modern day custom PCs... where it's all about form first and then function... like 2nd to last, with reliability being the last for sure.

Then again, it is an OCZ:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1614490540

...full of Samxon GF caps:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1614490540

...in impossible to replace skinny sizes. Now I remember why the two 800W OCZ's I have are still in the junk box in my parents basement
            Looks like a Seasonic S12-II platform or similar.
            You can squeeze 10 mm caps on the output in place of those 8 mm ones if you raise them 3-4 mm off the board, which shouldn't be an issue here, as these are the last caps in the filter. The main filter for the 12V rail is that bigger 16V cap to the left of the main PS output inductor.

Decided to look at the PSU closer... Those skinny caps are 6mm(ish) 470uf 16V Capxon's (Apparently they also make a GF series). Which, of course, literally nobody makes (at least on Digikey), let alone in a reputable brand rated for PSU usage and there isn't really room to go up in diameter. Thanks OCZ/FSP
            Check with Behemot, he might have some custom order for those FPS PSUs.

But other than that... yeah, I hate PSUs that use skinny caps with no space for bigger ones.

I guess that makes the PSU scrap...
            Well, not necessarily.

Since none of the caps appear to be bad yet (you should always check, of course... though if the PSU is less than a few years old, you probably won't find any bad ones yet), you can use the PSU "as-is", but perhaps in some less-than-important PC until it croaks.

Or, you could also try to do a partial recap for at least the caps that you can find substitutes for. Getting the 5VSB output caps replaced will generally be a huge improvement already, as those are usually the ones to go first. Anything more is bonus. And if you really don't like that idea, then do a full recap, but perhaps with smaller capacity caps that fit. As long as the drop in capacitance is only a level or two lower max, chances are the PSU won't care much... at least not if you don't load it to the max. Thus, even with smaller caps, if you "derate" the outputs accordingly, it should still be OK to use.

So it's far from scrap, honestly. Just not a PSU I'd put on my "A-list". Better than this hunk of junk any day of the week!
            ... and you'll be surprised how many people still buy those crappy PSUs and use them for many years until their caps or fan croaks... provided they don't bomb their guts on first power-up.
            Last edited by momaka; 03-18-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I would not really recommend cheap big gaming cases. I would go for a slick less gimmicky good looking regular atx case

I would also recommend a Seasonic S12III (https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12i...82E16817151226). Fairly cheap, good results, with a 5yr warranty. Seasonic focus and other high end series I would always recommend (though not cheap) but if this is a medium end gaming rig the former should be fine.
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I would go for a slick less gimmicky good looking regular atx case
                Please advise when you find any. :\
                All I see is tempered glass and gimmicky RGB fans in just about everything nowadays.
                Also, price doesn't necessarily seem to go hand-in-hand with quality anymore either. If anything, the higher the price, the more RGB fans I see crammed in there and the more silly the design.
                Oh, and 5.25" drive slots seem to be a thing of the past, too... so not much of a choice when it comes to new cases if you did wanted to have a 5.25" drive.

I would also recommend a Seasonic S12III (https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12i...82E16817151226). Fairly cheap, good results, with a 5yr warranty. Seasonic focus and other high end series I would always recommend (though not cheap) but if this is a medium end gaming rig the former should be fine.
                Or you can go with a good quality used PSU to save some money. Nothing wrong with grabbing an old used Silverstone, IMO. Some EVGA PSUs are pretty OK too. Just as long as it doesn't have a ton of hours on it (or a ton of dust), it should be fine.
                Last edited by momaka; 03-19-2021, 11:25 PM.

Comment

There are still a few cases that don't have a window or RGB, and some of them even have 5.25" bays. It seems like the cases without windows throw in tons of fan vents instead.

The quality of new cases really sucks, too. The Corsair 200R that I bought is supposed to be good, but it has most of the same problems as older $20 cases. The expansion slot cutouts are misaligned, the tool-free 5.25" drive mounting didn't work, every threaded hole was full of paint, and there are mounting holes for fans on the top panel that are completely unusable because the motherboard interferes.

I found the Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (the non-windowed version) and the Fractal Design Core 2500 in a quick search. Those still have some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    especially because I'm tired of the all-black looks.
                    What color DO people want nowadays?

Used to be people got tired of IBM beige...then they went black.
                    Now what? back to beige? White like αρρλε? or some exotic color? :\

For me what I should worry about is EMI compliance (I'm a ham after all?)... but too cheap to do much about it.

Comment

People want every color now. That's why you get the RGB nonsense. You're supposed to like it or you aren't part of the "PC master race" (which is a really stupid name).

I do wonder how the extremely thick paint (about the same thickness as the actual metal per side) affects the grounding. These new cases have the inside painted black, and the paint on the Corsair 200R is at least non-conductive at the voltage my multimeter outputs.

We're probably completely off-topic.
                      Last edited by lti; 03-20-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                        We're probably completely off-topic.
                        Yeah, but whatever.

Father inlaw gave me a NOS case and PSU... but it's an old gamer case from the mid 2000's... and a cheap flimsy one at that. The kind I had when I first joined the forum (with a powmax PSU in that case). The PSU looks to be an old leadman/powmax POS... Not sure what to do with it; it's too nice looking to scrap but too crappy to actually use.
                        sigpic

Comment

Father inlaw gave me a NOS case and PSU... but it's an old gamer case from the mid 2000's... and a cheap flimsy one at that. The kind I had when I first joined the forum (with a powmax PSU in that case). The PSU looks to be an old leadman/powmax POS... Not sure what to do with it; it's too nice looking to scrap but too crappy to actually use.
                          Oh c'mon, why do you tease us like this?
                          Give us pics!

Last spring, I picked up a similar-ish case, based on the description you give - one of those early Xion cases from the mid-2000's... except it didn't come with a PowMax (or Xion) PSU and was actually OK-looking once cleaned up. Cheap case, for sure... but functional. Only downside: it was again *sigh* the black version, but at least it was old enough that it wasn't painted inside and wasn't dark as charcoal inside (which is good, because it does have a windowed side.) Guess I gotta post pics of that, too, someday. I'm pretty sure a lot of you have seen these as they were fairly popular.

There are still a few cases that don't have a window or RGB, and some of them even have 5.25" bays.
                          Right, but the choices are quite limited - at least from the name-brand cases. If you're willing to go the no-name route, I'm sure there will be more choices... but then the question is what kind of quality you will get? (Most likely, not great.)

The quality of new cases really sucks, too. The Corsair 200R that I bought is supposed to be good, but it has most of the same problems as older $20 cases. The expansion slot cutouts are misaligned, the tool-free 5.25" drive mounting didn't work, every threaded hole was full of paint, and there are mounting holes for fans on the top panel that are completely unusable because the motherboard interferes.
                          A few years back when I used to work at a PC retailer and build customer-ordered PCs occasionally, I had a lot of these requested with the Corsair 100R and 200R cases. To be fair, these are actually fairly decent cases - as in, they do have their problems, like some of the items you pointed above... but for the most part they are workable cases. Some of the larger and more expensive cases with a ton of fan controllers and other crap pissed me off a lot more and were PITA to build more often than not.

On that note...
                          ... there are mounting holes for fans on the top panel that are completely unusable because the motherboard interferes.
                          That's actually a very common issue with a lot of "budget" cases (which nowadays seems to be considered anything under $100 for whatever reason ), and even not-so-budget ones. Most of the times, you can't mount a normal 20-25 mm thick fan... or if you do, then squeezing the CPU power cables through the back and bending them under the fan becomes a nightmare. The latter issue I ran with in an older Cooler Master Storm case, where the 140 mm fan on the top left virtually no space to route the cables to the CPU from behind the board tray. And the former... well have a look at the pictures of this build I did a few years back:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=716
                          - Essentially the same issue - can't install a fan on either of the two top cutouts, as they would interfere with the motherboard components. So clearly, that case wasn't designed too great.

I also dislike vents on the top panel, because it often weakens the strength of the case at the top - again, especially with cheaper cases. I don't particularly abuse my cases, but sometimes I do make some of them serve "foot rest" duty under my desk... and those cases with the vents on top are a no-no here. Not only do they warp and bend easily, but any crap I pickup with my socks/feet can end up in the vent holes (solder whiskers for sure.) Not to mention it's very easy to drop something conductive in there and have it go on the motherboard and/or video card. In fact, I've seen a lot of liquid-damaged hardware from this. So I don't like that design at all.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          What color DO people want nowadays?

Used to be people got tired of IBM beige...then they went black.
                          Now what? back to beige? White like αρρλε? or some exotic color? :\
                          I don't mind beige any day... though in all fairness, it often does look kind of worn-out / dirty / outdated. But I do like that it's a more "low-key" and neutral color.
                          White like Apple is OK - just not a big fan of the stuff that is excessively glossy. Flat white is great, though.
                          I also like silver and gray from the XP / early-mid 2000's era quite a bit. Something like this:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2758

Black I can swallow, as long as it's not glossy and the case is not painted inside... which it always is with non-OEM cases nowadays.

People want every color now. That's why you get the RGB nonsense. You're supposed to like it or you aren't part of the "PC master race" (which is a really stupid name).
                          Agreed.
                          The "aesthetics" of modern PC cases have dropped to a whole new level of low.

And then there is crap like this:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupiPZybyBE

I do wonder how the extremely thick paint (about the same thickness as the actual metal per side) affects the grounding.
                          Not that much, actually.
                          Even with a lot of paint in the screw holes, the screws still manage to make contact somewhere and ground things properly. Thus, the PSU still gets grounded to the case with its screws and the motherboard and its standoffs also get grounded too. So it's not a big deal.
                          Last edited by momaka; 03-22-2021, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Both of those require a core 2 duo or higher and 2-4gig ram with very basic graphics. A $100 box with a I5 would be fast and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                              Both of those require a core 2 duo or higher and 2-4gig ram with very basic graphics. A $100 box with a I5 would be fast and easy.
                              We tried that... Core2 Dell Optiplex 760 with a Geforce 730 GPU and 8GB of RAM. Didn't work worth a ****... Sometimes would work, but usually was too anemic to get anywhere. Running Windows 10 (required for both games so ANT+ works correctly). To be honest I suspect the HDD was the main issue (7200RPM spinner, of course), but as "antiquated" as the system is, I figured something newer would work better and provide better futureproofing (also, he personally requested a "newer" build). For now, he's been using his laptop (an Ivy Bridge i5 equipped Dell Latitude E6430) which does the job, just not elegantly.
                              sigpic

Comment

My guess is he has alot of junk slowing the system down. And yes a small ssd would make it much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                  My guess is he has alot of junk slowing the system down. And yes a small ssd would make it much faster.
                                  Not really on the former. The OS install has been twice upgraded (7 to 8.1, then 8.1 to 10) due to chasing software compatibility. But since the get go, all it's been attempted to do is his gaming software.

Sadly it's a SFF... half height cards only. Hence why putting the 1060 there isn't really an option. They do have a similar full-ATX HP wannabe workstation sitting (same chipset and all), but it was retired on unstable terms (didn't troubleshoot, likely a toasted PSU from running in a hot attic for a long time), and long term, I see it as a losing proposition. If it were for me, it'd be different (I run ancient stuff all over!), but since it's not, I'm playing by different rules.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Oh c'mon, why do you tease us like this?
                                    Give us pics!
                                    Riight... actually, I did take pics and forgot to post them.

One of the bay covers got punched in during transit. Oops.

The clear strips on the side are LED lit (not sure what color)

Giveaway it's a cheapie... flappy metal windowed side panel:

Noname junk fan:

At least they hemmed the holes in the back panel:

Noname PSU tag (sorry for crap focus, this Nikon is putting the POS in Point and Shoot):

450W my ass :

Board says it's made by Yuelin. Very lightweight, a true gutless wonder!
                                    Attached Files
                                    sigpic

Comment

That case is workable.....not the best or prettiest, but it would do the job. That PSU, I'd squish it in a vice while it's powered up just to see how much smoke & sparks come out of it...
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Junk, your dad doesn't need a tower, if a i5 isn't enough which I think is try a i7, those games don't take alot and your wasting his and your money trying to build something he doesn't need.

Comment

I have a quad core 6600 with sli 9800 cards, 8 gig ram and it smokes these games, so don't tell me a i5 is having issues, unless it's loaded with spamware.

Comment

Working...
                                          X