• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo TX-NR616, constantly clicking, no display, no light/led

Nothing is getting hot
    non of the coils

Comment

you need to check for the voltages at the boards / circuits of interest (hdmi and processor / H & K areas).

Comment

i have bee checking everything seems to be checking out fine
        L8002 - 1.0V
        L8004 - 1.4V
        L8006 - 1.0V

L8932 - 1.3V
        L8942 - 1.8V
        L8952 - 3.3V
        L8962 - 5.2V

Comment

In my opinion, your best bet is to talk to Tjmotter(on the other forum), but he is not showing up much lately. I believe, that he quit repairing these receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
            In my opinion, your best bet is to talk to Tjmotter(on the other forum), but he is not showing up much lately. I believe, that he quit repairing these receivers.
            Thanks for the reply
            do you have his email that you can pm me please

Do you know if I flash a new firmware to the VSP chip using a programmer will this bring back the firmware for the vmpu

or is it possible to use jtag or uart to flash the firmware for the vmpu
            please reply thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by lcdcaps1 View Post
              Thanks for the reply
              do you have his email that you can pm me please

Do you know if I flash a new firmware to the VSP chip using a programmer will this bring back the firmware for the vmpu

or is it possible to use jtag or uart to flash the firmware for the vmpu
              please reply thanks so much
              Can anyone help me flashing firmware and using jtag / uart for this receiver
              thanks

Comment

On the board there are several service connectors that seems like are for different things
                If I need to enter uart mode to look at the vmpu do i use p8702
                please can someone confirm
                Thanks

Comment

I don't think any of us can help you with these.
                  I don't have his Email, I have contacted him only via forum.
                  I have never dealt with flashing anything on Onkyos.

Comment

I don't think any of us can help you with these.
                    I don't have his Email, I have contacted him only via forum.
                    I have never dealt with flashing anything on Onkyos.
                    I am sure someone can
                    I am sure someone has fixred there onkyo

Comment

Originally posted by lcdcaps1 View Post
                      i have bee checking everything seems to be checking out fine
                      L8002 - 1.0V
                      L8004 - 1.4V
                      L8006 - 1.0V

L8932 - 1.3V
                      L8942 - 1.8V
                      L8952 - 3.3V
                      L8962 - 5.2V
                      those only indicate a voltage is present. you need to check them further into the board. Further, 5v is used in multiple places and is especially associated with hdmi. It can be "destroyed" readily from hdmi issues such as poor / shorted cabling, power surges, etc. Depending on where it is generated and what other circuitry uses it, it can be a problem. I think it is likely that you have lost the 5v somewhere and thus the resulting chips are not "happy".

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                        those only indicate a voltage is present. you need to check them further into the board. Further, 5v is used in multiple places and is especially associated with hdmi. It can be "destroyed" readily from hdmi issues such as poor / shorted cabling, power surges, etc. Depending on where it is generated and what other circuitry uses it, it can be a problem. I think it is likely that you have lost the 5v somewhere and thus the resulting chips are not "happy".
                        Hi
                        Thanks for the reply
                        This was working fine and one day the hdmi stopped working
                        The hdmi passthrough was working
                        but then i reset it and i could not get the osd to work
                        if you can tell me where to measure then i will
                        i will really appreciate all the help please

Comment

look for the 5v things in the hdmi and video processor cards... follow those circuits to sources.

Comment

look for the 5v things in the hdmi and video processor cards... follow those circuits to sources.
                            Thank for the reply
                            I've been checking coils and resistors randomly as the seen to be checking fine in terms of voltage
                            If you can be more specific and what to test them I can do that. I will appreciate it very much if you can let me know
                            It seems like the dsp is working as I am getting sound from tunner and vtunner. Sound works from usb and headphones
                            Plus sound works from rca
                            The receiver was working fine until one day when nothing would show up on osd but the hdmi passthrough worked but I thought a reset would work so I did that but nothing. I was told I can configure the passthrough from using the buttons on the front of receiver and I have tried that but nothing. Tried selecting hdmi out to main only but nothing

Comment

Those "sounds" are not digital sounds, or need digital processing. So DSP could still be faulty, or have voltage issues. Check the DSP, or HDMI chip for 3.3V.

Comment

Those "sounds" are not digital sounds, or need digital processing. So DSP could still be faulty, or have voltage issues. Check the DSP, or HDMI chip for 3.3V.
                                check where please
                                where do i check for voltage you are saying
                                but the firmware updates fine when it gets to the dsp
                                Many Thanks

Comment

an example from the schematics is part 8 (video), there is a q201 (some form of regulator), 5.2v in and shoots out 5 for some of the chip. that's what you need to look for in the hdmi board and the processor board since those are likely not happy and hence are not responding to things (updating, and general runniing). You have checked some of the voltages (as you posted) but those are only at the "entrance" to the card. You need to trace those thru to some of the important component areas to see if they are reaching there.

Comment

an example from the schematics is part 8 (video), there is a q201 (some form of regulator), 5.2v in and shoots out 5 for some of the chip. that's what you need to look for in the hdmi board and the processor board since those are likely not happy and hence are not responding to things (updating, and general runniing). You have checked some of the voltages (as you posted) but those are only at the "entrance" to the card. You need to trace those thru to some of the important component areas to see if they are reaching there.
                                    ok thanks i will check once i get the board back in the receiver
                                    thanks

Comment

how would i check voltage as this is on the the board below the hdmi board

Comment

I have never seen this unit AND you have never posted any pictures so I leave that for you to figure out. Based on my limited experience (fixed onkyo 919), you can sometimes get at various areas from the bottom or areas that have test points revealed and then follow those back to points of interest in the schematic.

sometimes you can solder "test wires" back to the area of interest that will then allow you to connect your meter while the cards are installed.... careful to ensure nothing shorts (ie. insulated wiring).
                                        Last edited by budwich; 04-02-2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I have never seen this unit AND you have never posted any pictures so I leave that for you to figure out. Based on my limited experience (fixed onkyo 919), you can sometimes get at various areas from the bottom or areas that have test points revealed and then follow those back to points of interest in the schematic.
                                          Does the hdmi board need to be connected

Comment

Working...
                                          X