MPG X570 Gaming Edge - does not power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MPG X570 Gaming Edge - does not power on

Yeah interestingly I forgot to mention if I read the Vref capacitor with the meter leads reversed I get around 250nF - so something is affecting the reading while in circuit.

If there is nothing special about it, I bought a whole set of 0603 and 0402 MLCC capacitors off aliexpress a while back - something like 10 each of 75 values, from 1pF to 10uF. They are mostly 50V I think, but lower voltage for the high value capacitors.

Anyway I'll put a 1uF in there tomorrow and see what happens. I'll also check the old one out of circuit, just to see what it reads

I'm not generally a gambling man but just to have a quick punt - my money is on the capacitor not the chip. Of course now I said that, sods law says it will be the chip.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

From experience it's much more common to have randomly failed buck controllers than failing-but-not-shorted MLCC…
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

OK so I put a 2.2uF in there as my 0402 MLCC 1uF read about 0.7uF on two different capacitor meters - and it said a minimum of 1uF so in went the 2.2uF which is reading about 1.8uF............ and....... it made absolutely no difference.

So I will have to order some of these buck regulators. Mouser list them but don't hold stock, AliExpress don't have them but there are a couple of sellers on Alibaba who list them with minimum qty of 1. I always order a few spares when I find a faulty component, on the basis if I saw one fail once I may see one fail again in the future. It looks a bit of a bith to replace as it is so close to the DIMM sockets but I am sure I will manage it.

@piernov - you won the bet LOL
        Last edited by dicky96; 02-26-2021, 06:33 AM.
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Hmmm nope I think I was wrong, I could have sworn I found these MP2329CGG for sale on Alibaba but now I can only find one supplier with minimum order of 50.

Anyone know where I can get this part, or is there some compatible part?
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I have no idea why - when I looked for this part on my PC at home yesterday I found several suppliers on Alibaba. When I looked today at the workshop I could not find any (I logged out and back in toAlibaba several times) - and I was copy/pasting the same part number from this thread

Now back at home I find several suppliers again, I've messaged one of them regards postage

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...nV&bypass=true
            Last edited by dicky96; 02-26-2021, 10:35 AM.
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Guys
              I replaced the MP2329C with a MP2329 - these should be compatible (I asked in another thread here) https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95281

But so far tried two of them (I ordered a pack of 5) and in both cases I only get 0.229V on the Vcc pin, and the same on the output from the buck regulator. With the original MP2329C I had 1.7V here and 0.7V Vout - but according to the datasheet Vcc should be 3.3V from an internal LDO in the MP2329.

So due to this the output voltage from the buck regulator coil is too low - in fact it's lower than the MP2329C was.

I know the output should be 1.8V as I have similar gigabyte board with the same PCH and that has 1.8V/1.1V standby supplies.

As I tried 2 different MP2329 with the same result, I don't think it is a problem with my soldering or anything like that, it's acting like they are not compatible. I checked all other pins - EN is 3.3V, Vin is 5V - everything checks out as in the circuit I drew on this post, just the MP2329 give a lower voltage output

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=19

I can't find a source for MP2329C (mouser says 12 months lead time)

The 1.8V just supplies standby to the PCH (and also derives the 1.1V standby for the PCH via an LDO). Vin comes from 5VSB on the ATX PSU.

The resistance to ground on 1.8V is 1K0 and 1.1V is 60R

I know the MP2329 is rated at 6.5A, but I am thinking this power rail does not actually draw much power (as it is from 5VSB)

I'm wondering whether just to see if I can get it to work by using an LDO, like 1117-18, partly because I have some lying around. I could remove the inductor coil, solder the tab of the LDO to there (this is output from the 1117) then connect the other two pins with short wires to (Vin) 5V and Ground. I was hoping the existing input capacitor and output capacitors which are of course right by the MP2329 and the coil, would be sufficient for the LDO.

What do you guys think, worth a try?
              Last edited by dicky96; 05-10-2021, 04:58 AM.
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                I'm wondering whether just to see if I can get it to work by using an LDO, like 1117-18, partly because I have some lying around.
                What do you guys think, worth a try?
                Yes, it's definitely worth a try.

However, before you even go doing that... if you actually have an adjustable bench PSU, why not feed 1.8V directly there? That way, you can also check the current draw, too.

The reason I suggest you do this first is so that you can get an idea of how much heat the LDO will dissipate (and if it will need a heatsink.) The voltage difference between input voltage and output voltage times the output current will be approximately how much power the LDO will dissipate. In your case, dropping 5V all the way down to 1.8V with even just 0.2 Amps of current draw will dissipate over 0.6 Watts... which if the LDO isn't connected to a big enough copper pad on the PCB, will run quite warm. In fact, anything over 1 Watt will run very hot. Below 0.5 to 0.4 Watts, things are more manageable... though will still need a somewhat large pad for cooling.

So even if the chipset doesn't draw much current from the 1.8V rail, if the 1.1V LDO downstream draws anything, this will also be current that will have to pass through your LDO circuit. (And I suspect this is why they used the MP2329 IC here rather than an LDO, as an LDO might have been impractical to use due to heat dissipation reasons.) Therefore, it's a good idea to meter the current if you can. On that note, connect a multimeter to measure the voltage right at the spot where you connect it to the motherboard, as you want to make sure that any voltage drops from external wires (be it from bench PSU or current meter / multimeter) are accounted for. In other words, you might be supplying 1.8V exactly from your bench PSU, but if there are any voltage drops from the wires going to the motherboard, the voltage might go down to a lower value. So in that case, you might have to increase the voltage slightly from the bench PSU to offset this voltage drop.

But other than that, YES, do try providing 1.8V to the PCH by external means.

BTW, I did something similar with a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive a few years back... which ended up being this ugly / "worthless" repair in the link below
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...88&postcount=2

But guess what? - It still works! I've burned and imaged a number of discs with it, and it's been OK for the most part. The crappy cap I used there might have gone bad, because I did get errors on one burned CD (and that's never happened to me before on any drive.) But for the amount of use I put on it over the years, that crappy repair did surprisingly well.
                Last edited by momaka; 05-10-2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Hi momaka
                  I shoulda known you would be the one to reply. Yeah I've seen your CDROM repair lol - nice to hear it still works.

Funnily enough as there were no replies last night I was just gonna come back this morning to post that I was going to try my 5A bench PSU to supply the 1.8V, to see if the board will boot up and also see what current it draws.

I often use my multimeter as you suggest, for example when short circuit finding by voltage injection, as there is voltage drop in the cables from the PSU.

Then of course you already said that lol
                  Follow me on YouTube
                  ------------------
                  Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Hello Rich,

I just picked up a 990fx board which is the top level gaming version of the AMD FX (pre-ryzen) CPU.

I am experiencing exactly what you are, I explain it here in my post https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95937

So my latest theory is that the Southbridge Chip (PCH) is shorted, sending most voltage straight to ground, which is why the voltage cant get up to 3.3v. Do you think it could be similar problem to this board that you have?
                    Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Hi
                      Actually I could not get the regulator to supply more than 0.2V after changing to the 'compatible' part

So I used my bench PSU to inject 1.8V directly to the inductor coil as I as discussing with momaka

I found the bench PSU supplies about 90mA and I have stable 1.8V (and 1.1V) on the PCH - but.... the mother board will still not power on. I did then wonder if the problem is some bad connections on the CPU socket - there are a few bent pins in there.

I tested this theory with the other X570 board I have - the one that does power up but won't boot. I noted that the mobo will not power on without a CPU fitted (different to intel boards)

So I then took the plastic cover of the CPU socket on the MPG X570 and tried physically holding the CPU in place.

What I can see is that on the bench PSU supplying 1.8V with the CPU in place it supplies 100mA and with the CPU not in place it supplies 90mA

But I stil lcan't get it to power on even though I am surethe CPU is making contact properly and I do have injected 1.8V (and derived 1.1V)

So a the moment this is on one side hoping someone can advise me a bit further on it

Maybe Momaka?
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Sounds like a very similar situation to what I have, Perhaps they havent found a solution for this problem 4 generations later haha. Anyway im seriously considering replacing the southbridge chip, unfortunately i dont have a fancy BGA station with a chip sucker like yours.

Did you check out my post? I have a little video of the board iced up and trying to see which components heat up as a short. only the chip heated up.
                        Last edited by piernov; 05-22-2021, 03:09 AM. Reason: remove full quote of previous post

Current repairs:

Comment

Hi taxxin - yeah freezing is a good way to do that. In my case the 1.8V is only supplying 100mA, when supplied by the bench PSU. I don't know what current it should be but 1.8V at 100mA = 0.18W of power which ain't a lot.

Also the resistance to ground on the PCH capacitors (1.8V, 1.1V) is basically the same on both X570 boards that I have so I don't believe I have a short - at least not on the PCH

To resume, I have one X570 that powers up but does not beep/boot and one that does not power up even with the correct voltage injected to the PCH. Unfortunately one is Gigabyte and the other is MSI so I can't compare directly other than they have the same chipset. Even the SIO is different unfortunately.

So they are on one side for now, awaiting more info or more inspiration lol

Rich
                          Follow me on YouTube
                          ------------------
                          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I found the bench PSU supplies about 90mA and I have stable 1.8V (and 1.1V) on the PCH - but.... the mother board will still not power on. I did then wonder if the problem is some bad connections on the CPU socket - there are a few bent pins in there.
                            Perhaps look up what those pins are.
                            I tried looking for a socket AM4 pinout diagram... but I guess the days of manufacturers listing these things are gone now?

In any case, I don't imagine all of the pins on the CPU need to be connected for the motherboard to start. Old motherboards could start, because they didn't really "talk" to the CPU until CPU V_core was live. But I think starting with Intel socket 775 and newer (and not sure which socket for AMD, if any), I think these newer CPUs do use some kind of a I2C bus (or similar) to talk to the mobo even without V_core. Thus, as long as these pins are connected, the mobo should start. Thus, seems like a small chance that those bent pins could be the exact pins for that purpose... but without a diagram, it's hard to say.

So I then took the plastic cover of the CPU socket on the MPG X570 and tried physically holding the CPU in place.

What I can see is that on the bench PSU supplying 1.8V with the CPU in place it supplies 100mA and with the CPU not in place it supplies 90mA
                            Well, that still doesn't tell us if whatever pins are responsible for the CPU communicating with the motherboard are properly connected or not. Perhaps almost there, but just not 100% there. Or maybe this relation is of no importance.

But it is good to know, nevertheless.

But I stil lcan't get it to power on even though I am surethe CPU is making contact properly and I do have injected 1.8V (and derived 1.1V)

So a the moment this is on one side hoping someone can advise me a bit further on it

Maybe Momaka?
                            Well, you might be giving my knowledge more credibility than it deserves. Normally I throw the towel when I see all voltages have checked out OK and I've put reasonable effort to rule out that bad BGA or contact somewhere is not the issue. So when it gets to the point that it needs boardviews / schematics / oscilloscope, that's where I leave it on the shelf "for later". :\

That's not to say I've given up on helping you troubleshoot this motherboard... but currently, I'm all out of ideas for now.

If you have time to spare working on this one (and some parts), perhaps time to begin swapping/shotgunning parts - particularly the CMOS, RTC (if one present) and chipset/SB, if you do have a spare one, even if it's from another dead motherboard (but with different symptoms.)

Comment

If the CPU pin theory is correct why would it affect the LDO regulator and circuit? Its what is happening to my old AMD board too, what was the cause of this 1.8v to drop out?

Current repairs:

Comment

Hi i have a asus tuf gaming x570- plus witch had riped of caps (replaced them) Has a destroyed socket (witch i will replace as son as the controller for my diy bga station arrives) no shorts (there was a shorted transistor on the botom rgb hader tok that of )but no power what so ever i have 4.7 ohms on the chipset power rail i have power on the power switch and thats how far i got.

Comment

Working...
                                X