Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS vw246h no video

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
    Ok Alex, since I suggested that board as a "possible" replacement, I feel obligated to try to help you get that running.
    I believe you can desolder the "Old board 3rd connection" and solder it onto the "New board 3rd connection". I see 7 holes on the new PCB that are filled with solder. Isn't that the same type of connection from the old board?
    I was considering doing this too, however, the holes that have the solder are the very small ones I have highlighted in the small red box in the attached picture. When I flipped the board over, I just didn't see any way I could desolder and resolder while still keep the points separate...it's just too tight. I'm thinking the best bet would be to determine what kind of cable I can order as a replacement with the ribbon end on that end.

Edit: if I can find the service manual for the VE249 monitor (which is what the new board is specified for), maybe I can determine that cable.
    Attached Files

Comment

I've found a couple service manuals, however, not the one for the vw246. It appears the cable I'm looking at is the KEY BOARD CABLE. If I can find one with the proper ends, I may try to get it in. Otherwise, I'll be reaching out to the ebay seller to see if I can return the board and I'll just scrap the monitor, which will be a real shame.

Comment

i have one for the sizes above and below the 24 inch vw. You're welcome to take a look at those if not the one's you found. The vw246h uses the larger holes behind those that would need to be desoldered to remove the connector on the new board. Do you have any solder wick? if you bridge conncetions on the way out just flux it and rub your heated wick around until the mess is clean. one technique for soldering surface mount chips with 4 times the amount of contacts is dragging the solder dipped iron across the row of which will more likely than not create bridges then the excess solder is wicked away. But... if you're worried about it.. why even remove the new boards connector at all? it may not sit flush but both sets of holes are on the same trace. hell you could just add a 7 pin header into the large holes and forget all desoldering.

Comment

Alex, with your excellent pictures you can see that the connection is exactly the same. The copper traces connect the same whether you are using the new type of connector, or the older one found on your board. You can actually see the copper traces with your excellent pictures. That's why I suggested desoldering the old connection and soldering it into the new board. Sometimes with revisions you have to make small modifications. In your case it's soldering the old connector to the new board, and the heatseak with some themal paste. It does take a certain amount of skill to desolder a 7 pin through hole connector. I would probably use ChipQuik for easier desoldering.

Comment

Alex.. still wondering if you could tell me what the capacitor is on the old board closest to your thumb in the pair of pictures comparing it to the new board

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
              Alex, with your excellent pictures you can see that the connection is exactly the same. The copper traces connect the same whether you are using the new type of connector, or the older one found on your board. You can actually see the copper traces with your excellent pictures. That's why I suggested desoldering the old connection and soldering it into the new board. Sometimes with revisions you have to make small modifications. In your case it's soldering the old connector to the new board, and the heatseak with some themal paste. It does take a certain amount of skill to desolder a 7 pin through hole connector. I would probably use ChipQuik for easier desoldering.
              Just to make sure I'm hearing this right, you think I could just place the connector from the old board on the new board and solder through the larger holes? This may be doable.

Comment

Originally posted by alexsquared View Post
                Just to make sure I'm hearing this right, you think I could just place the connector from the old board on the new board and solder through the larger holes? This may be doable.
                Exactly right. Since all connections and components are exactly the same except for that one connector. I'd give it a 99% chance of working.
                The hardest part will be desoldering the 7 pin connector. I use ChipQuik in those situations. But you might be able to solder bridge all 7 pins at once and pull it out. If you need any help on pulling that connector, just ask.

Comment

Are my posts visible? "Radio check" please!

Comment

Originally posted by 2andrewd View Post
                    Are my posts visible? "Radio check" please!
                    i can so i guess all can

Comment

So can I - Alex may not be able to tell what value the capacitor has - they are not usually marked so most people just replace by physical size.
                      On the up side if he does move the connector he may let you have the cap.
                      Perhaps if you quoted the board designation number then he would know exactly what you are talking about?
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hey alex,

Can you please help me out with some pictures on the control panel? I've lost the control panel of my monitor and I would like to recreate it myself. I need a front and back picture of the control panel board of your monitor.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
                        Paul.
                        Last edited by iamcypher; 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

That board has 6 caps total.. 2x 220uf, 3x 22uf and one 10uf. I'm interested in verifying they got back into the right spots after having been removed without being documented as to their original homes.

if you're talknig about the control panel as in the board with on/off volume buttons etc .. here:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I noticed it's a more complex design however I would need the schematic of the board too. Do you have by any chance the schematic of the control panel only?

Thanks again,
                            Paul.

Comment

No. I don't think they are anywhere to be found for the vw246h but google can find you the vw223 and vw266h models which may or may not help you.. pardon my laze tonight

Comment

Thank you again, I will see what I can do!

Comment

Originally posted by alexsquared View Post
                                  Alex, just so there's no confusion; the connector from the old board cannot be soldered into the smaller and closer holes (picture 1). But to the larger holes filled with solder on the new board (picture 2). You may need to remove the connector from the new board to fit the connector from old board. Good luck! ~L-J-7~
                                  Attached Files

Comment

hi gentlemen, I can't open a new post because I'm new. I have my asus vw246h that to make it turn on I always have to unplug. I changed all the electrolytics on the power supply board but nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                    X